forum

Loved Community Vote: Round 4 (osu!)

posted
Total Posts

Please choose up to four (4) maps that you'd like to see enter the Loved listing.

Yousei Teikoku - Kuraki Sekai no Doukoku by Saten (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/64631)
9.20%
Hatsune Miku - Electric Love (t+pazolite Overcute Remix) by Zapy (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/50373)
10.41%
S.S.H - Intersect Thunderbolt-Remix by SnowNiNo_ (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/234785)
7.96%
DECO*27 - Ghost Rule by Awaken (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/413117)
17.02%
Memme - Chinese Restaurant by rrtyui (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/399404)
16.78%
Jomekka - Eighto by Tom94 (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/43095)
13.31%
Yooh - MariannE by neonat (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/285577)
9.47%
Kelemen Kabatban - Maradjatok Gyerekek feat. Ecku by [ Another ] (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/327265)
6.25%
Another Infinity feat. Mayumi Morinaga - COME BACK TO MY HEART (Ryu* Remix) by caren_sk (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/138407)
4.64%
Knife Party - Songs Compilation by TrigonometrY (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/123040)
4.96%
Total votes: 7221
Polling ended
show more
Lasseh
Why that ghost rule mapset :(
Mijii
I voted ghost rule and 3 more maps, but I want to see ghost rule ranked on the future.
BRAH

MillhioreF wrote:

Where's oddloop, the rabbit jumping map has less than half the favorites rip :o
It will probably be selected in later rounds, right
Kroma
we need oddloop loved, such a fun map
mazi
I would vote for Eighto four times if I could. Finally!
Toy
Remember how I said Loved category would be cool if it didn't continue to add stupid 9.5+* maps? Rabbit Jumping Style fits that pretty well.

There are PLENTY of other much more worthy maps that could be given leaderboards with this category in my opinion. You can always argue to "not vote for it" but there will always be plenty of newer players who are not concerned with quality but rather would see leaderboards on impossible maps because they can't exactly play any of the maps up for voting anyways.
n0ah

MillhioreF wrote:

KromaRO wrote:

we need oddloop loved, such a fun map

BRAH wrote:

MillhioreF wrote:

It will probably be selected in later rounds, right
Love you guys :>
n0ah
Personally I'd like maps like Mashed Potatoes better than just regular (and overmapped) hard maps
intiaz
lets go eighto lets go
Railey2

Toy wrote:

Remember how I said Loved category would be cool if it didn't continue to add stupid 9.5+* maps? Rabbit Jumping Style fits that pretty well.

There are PLENTY of other much more worthy maps that could be given leaderboards with this category in my opinion. You can always argue to "not vote for it" but there will always be plenty of newer players who are not concerned with quality but rather would see leaderboards on impossible maps because they can't exactly play any of the maps up for voting anyways.
And what's wrong with that? People like being impressed, and they like seeing top players attempt impossibly hard maps because it's exciting. These people are a significant part of the playerbase, and you don't get to determine what the only valid outcome here is supposed to be. If that makes the category look stupid in your eyes then that is entirely on you. People don't only vote based on quality, that was never the point of the loved category.

Stop making this about your preferences. Loved maps belong to the entire community.
fieryrage

Railey2 wrote:

Toy wrote:

And what's wrong with that? People like being impressed, and they like seeing top players attempt impossibly hard maps because it's exciting. These people are a significant part of the playerbase, and you don't get to determine what the only valid outcome here is supposed to be. If that makes the category look stupid in your eyes then that is entirely on you. People don't only vote based on quality, that was never the point of the loved category.

Stop making this about your preferences. Loved maps belong to the entire community.
yeah, let's completely ignore the fact there's already 100 jump spam maps in loved already woo GOLLY i love me some RABBIT JUMPING STYLE that literally no one actually plays anymore!

if hard maps like this are going to be in the loved pool i'd hope actual "pro" players play those maps and not just the 6 digits else your point is completely null and void
Toy

Railey2 wrote:

The point of the Loved category isn't to fill it with overdone maps to see how the top players handle it. It's a showcase of decent quality mapsets that don't quite make it to Ranked but still deserve their own leaderboards. There are plenty of other higher quality, more popular difficult maps that aren't Galaxy Collapse level difficulty. To me that's a waste of a spot for a map that could possibly be more interesting and innovative.

There's nothing wrong with people wanting to be impressed, but there are ways other than the Loved categories for people to watch top players be good at hard maps. I know my opinion isn't the only one that matters, but you can't honestly tell me that you'd weigh the opinion of 10 newcomers (by this I mean like <6 months of activity not just lower ranked players) over a more experienced player that knows a lot more about the community and mapping in general. Don't confuse significant with majority. They're not insignificant, but should not be weighed equally to more experienced/involved players.

This is the reason why Ignite was voted the "Best map of 2014" and why a hype map won in 2015. They reflected the opinion of the whole community, sure. But do you really agree that a generic TV size anime opening was the best map of that year with other more creative and innovative maps like Miss You?

The category isn't stupid in the slightest. I am very pleased with how it's turning out aside from voting infrequency and extremely minimal choice in what makes it into Loved. Don't try to spin this as me condemning the entire category because one or two "impossible" maps made it through. My point is that in my opinion they simply don't belong and there's very little I can do about it aside from express my dissatisfaction that they are being put up for voting in the first place.

My only preference is "not stupidly overdone". That's really it. If Loved maps belong to the entire community then please don't try to silence and invalidate me for trying to voice my own opinion. I am in fact "part of the community" like you said.
Stefan
Just because a map is insanely hard, it doesn't mean it's worth to have a leaderboard. the category should have some minimum of quality and uniqueness standards while I don't see it as something unique that a map is just plain hard. While I agree, the opinion of the community should be heard, maps like Intersect Thunderbolt-Remix shouldn't be considered as choice.
7ambda
Burnt Rice should've been here instead of Rabbit Jumping Style.
Stefan
yes
Asda Meal Deal
i thought ghost rule was going for rank
blahpy
wow how underwhelming to have some of these choices after the voting is 3 weeks late x_x

difficulty rating is quality rating amirite
Railey2

Toy wrote:

Railey2 wrote:

The point of the Loved category isn't to fill it with overdone maps to see how the top players handle it. It's a showcase of decent quality mapsets that don't quite make it to Ranked but still deserve their own leaderboards. There are plenty of other higher quality, more popular difficult maps that aren't Galaxy Collapse level difficulty. To me that's a waste of a spot for a map that could possibly be more interesting and innovative.

There's nothing wrong with people wanting to be impressed, but there are ways other than the Loved categories for people to watch top players be good at hard maps. I know my opinion isn't the only one that matters, but you can't honestly tell me that you'd weigh the opinion of 10 newcomers (by this I mean like <6 months of activity not just lower ranked players) over a more experienced player that knows a lot more about the community and mapping in general.
And that's where you're wrong. The loved category is not a showcase of the most high quality unranked maps, it's a showcase of the most popular unranked maps.

it it was about quality, then yes: Expert opinions should weigh more because they are more informed. But as it is, the category is not about that.

To quote:

CXu wrote:

Welp.

Objectively good/bad means nothing as long as the loved category is supposed to be what it is right now. If it did matter, we would just have a ranked category with more laxed rules, aka old approved.
The majority decides. Claiming that your opinion should weigh more, is just elitist.

Nobody argues that ignite is worse than miss you, but that's in no way relevant to this argument. i know that the majorities opinion doesn't necessarily reflect what the best map really is, but loved beatmaps aren't about quality. They are about how much love they get from the community, aka: popularity.

if your preference is ''not stupidly overdone'', then don't vote for these maps. That's what everyone else does too. Don't say that your preference constitutes a good enough reason for the team to change their entire selection of maps. Just be quiet and vote.
jcw
Can we have Wonderman by Dubu in the next vote?
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
Might not be doing another vote, and will just start porting maps with certain activity thresholds and favourite amounts directly into Loved. That or the next phase will start. I'm starting to think that votes have largely served their purpose.
Stefan

Railey2 wrote:

it's a showcase of the most popular unranked maps.
then Centipede needs to be loved, immediately. And Lanturn's Tewi map, and that 2B map by kiddly.
Shiguri
pls remove loved section
Toy

Railey2 wrote:

And that's where you're wrong. The loved category is not a showcase of the most high quality unranked maps, it's a showcase of the most popular unranked maps.

it it was about quality, then yes: Expert opinions should weigh more because they are more informed. But as it is, the category is not about that.

To quote:

CXu wrote:

Welp.

Objectively good/bad means nothing as long as the loved category is supposed to be what it is right now. If it did matter, we would just have a ranked category with more laxed rules, aka old approved.
The majority decides. Claiming that your opinion should weigh more, is just elitist.

Nobody argues that ignite is worse than miss you, but that's in no way relevant to this argument. i know that the majorities opinion doesn't necessarily reflect what the best map really is, but loved beatmaps aren't about quality. They are about how much love they get from the community, aka: popularity.

if your preference is ''not stupidly overdone'', then don't vote for these maps. That's what everyone else does too. Don't say that your preference constitutes a good enough reason for the team to change their entire selection of maps. Just be quiet and vote.

You're misinterpreting my point entirely. I'm not trying to claim that my vote should be worth more than anyone else's. I am simply annoyed that is basically diluted by the amount of newer players who will vote for a map that is hard. You don't see me complaining that the Knife Party marathon (a map I voted for) isn't getting votes because "MY VOTE MATTERS MORE AND I KNOW BETTER", I just accept it's not as popular. This issue is a bit different because I don't think Snownino's map belongs here right now. Please don't try to make this seem like I'm just mad the maps I want aren't being voted for. I am telling you that this one particular map does not belong from EITHER of our definitions.

Intersect Thunderbolt by my definition is not a very good map. It's overdone and not very high quality so I feel it doesn't belong. By your definition (being loved by the whole community and having lots of favorites) STILL doesn't make it fit into this category. The map only has 42 favorites. I can list 20 other maps more deserving of that spot than this Rabbit Jumping nonsense.

Maybe I misinterpreted the point of the category. I'll accept that it's not a showcase of higher quality unranked maps and rather maps that are extremely popular. The point about Ignite and Miss You was to show how majority vote isn't always the best option, but in this case it seems like that's exactly the point so it's invalid.

That said, the map I am pointing out does not fit into Loved no matter what definition you give the category as a whole. That was my entire point from the start. Everything else is just us arguing about what Loved is for and the effectiveness of the voting which Ephemeral stated he is removing anyways.

Besides, I thought the point of the forums was to express opinions and not to just "be quiet and vote". Open discussion is healthy and staying quiet if you feel like it could be run better is counter-intuitive. I did my part by not voting for that map. The other part is to explain why and maybe something will change.

In the end, you're right that the Loved category is not what I thought it was, but I will still tell you that Intersect doesn't belong.
Toy

Ephemeral wrote:

Might not be doing another vote, and will just start porting maps with certain activity thresholds and favourite amounts directly into Loved. That or the next phase will start. I'm starting to think that votes have largely served their purpose.
Be careful with automation, knowing the community I wouldn't be surprised if they memed some really stupid maps into the category just by spamming it with favorites or plays for a week. The voting system was flawed because there was very little say that the community had for maps that were even put up for voting so unless you base it by actual favorite count, then it's probably best to move away from that system.
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
As with all things, if the community memes something in, they probably wanted it in anyway. Spotlights are intended to be the premier "showcase" for really good and exceptional maps across both categories (ranked and loved). Loved isn't supposed to be a curated experience in that regard.
squirrelpascals

Shiguri wrote:

pls remove loved section

Railey2 wrote:

but loved beatmaps aren't about quality. They are about how much love they get from the community, aka: popularity.
This is incorrect. A popular map =/= a map that the community loves, it can be controversial, and/or use new, experimental techniques in general.

For example, if HW's fastslidermap had been made after the loved section came out, which some people really didn't agree with at all, it probably would have gone straight to loved. But HW proved that with the map how you could effectively use sliders in a more intuitive way, and on a whole new level at that. After the madness of actually ranking the map, it ended up to be a very enjoyable ranked map. And that's just what I picture the "Loved" section is for: aiding the integration of unconventional mapping techniques into the ranking system. This could eventually affect the way we map today and move mapping forward even more, as that what I feel is the ultimate need for "loved" maps. If it were up to me, a map wouldn't need to be popular enough to be loved by the community, because maps like these can get buried, and this would be how I picture maps like these get exposure without harming a very polished ranking system like the one we have.

Therefore (because i saw some debate about this also), in my eyes, nobody is getting hurt if the map is mapped poorly (in general). I think of the loved system as a ranked system that just says "idgaf about the maps quality, this map cool af and i luv it." Some maps that don't look aesthetically appealing at all are still fun to play, e.g. a lot of older maps that are getting loved now already, so too bad 8-)

I just felt like I wanted to say something, let me know if my anything sounds inaccurate or incorrect.
n0ah

Ephemeral wrote:

Wouldn't it be possible to use whatever could calculate a threshold like that to determine which maps get in the vote?
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
Yes, but at that point, what does a vote actually serve? Favourites already indicate a degree of preference - is pitting that against a set of transient votes really necessary?
pijon95

Railey2 wrote:

Toy wrote:

Agree
pijon95

Ephemeral wrote:

Yes, but at that point, what does a vote actually serve? Favourites already indicate a degree of preference - is pitting that against a set of transient votes really necessary?
It´s not, plz start porting maps whit out voting, this is starting to create unnecessary discussions, it´s obvious that people will want their own kind of map to get loved, that´s why gn complained about the lack of tag4 maps, toy for the lack of 5* to be hdhr or just original maps in general, etc, i think that looking at especific members of the community to see what love should or shouldnt be is not a great idea... So just add the most active/favorite maps around, i personally don´t mind if is a 19* map, or a original 4* map, or tag4, anyway, you get the point. And thanks for doing this four community votes possible, but i don´t think is a good idea to keep on doing them
n0ah

Ephemeral wrote:

wouldn't it be fairly easy to abuse a system where it's totally in the community's control though? famous mappers/players would be getting maps loved easier than 'normal' mappers just because for them its easier to get publicity i think
n0ah
also instead of arguing about what 'loved' is meant to be we could just ask ephemeral how it was intended
Pittigbaasje

Toy wrote:

I don't get why people are so mad. If it isn't in the list this week, maybe it will be in the next or the one after that. You can't expect to see all of your favorite maps getting loved status in one single week.. have some patience.
pijon95

Pittigbaasje wrote:

Toy wrote:

I don't get why people are so mad. If it isn't in the list this week, maybe it will be in the next or the one after that. You can't expect to see all of your favorite maps getting loved status in one single week.. have some patience.
Agree
Yauxo
I like how there's always discussions about basically everything once something goes live, even if it's something that we have always wanted.
yam_old_1
epic =)) electric love would be beast
Ideal
opinions opinions

if in your opinion a map should or not be loved, that's fine. respect it.

i have my own opinions on the loved pools and i personally think some maps don't deserve to be in the pool, however i just let the community decide, which is what loved is (was?) supposed to be in its essence.

don't like a map? don't vote for it and move on.

jeez just let people select what they want lol
Daisycutter
NYÁRI GYEREKEK A BALATON PARTON
DUNAKANYARBAN A KESZEGEMET HAJTOM
NYÁRI GYEREK VAGYOK KACAGOK NEVETEK
AMÍG CSILLOG A SZEMETEK MARADJATOK GYEREKEK
chainpullz
I feel like the only real point in having a vote over a predetermined set of maps is precisely because the larger community wouldn't understand creative/unconventional mapping if it hit them in the face. When half the maps in the pool are the garbage maps that, in the absence of this voting system, would be the focus of the community anyways it sort of defeats the purpose of it.

If the maps are going to be largely inaccessible by the larger community then Toy makes a great point. People will be hyped to see top players playing difficult maps to begin with. Why not select the predetermined set of maps to be those that top players are actually excited about and want to play on a regular basis and then use the vote to allow the plebian community to select from those the maps they would be most excited watching people play?

I think people are confusing the purpose of the loved section with the purpose of this voting system. Sure, the loved section isn't supposed to be about quality and it only really matters that a lot of people are excited about the maps. That's just stating the obvious. It's also pointless to have a vote like we do now to accomplish this simple goal. As Ephemeral has point out, if the community is willing to meme a map into the loved section by spamming it with favorites then it probably deserves to be loved by virtue of what the loved section stands for.

That is not to say I think we should get rid of the voting system. Rather, I think the voting system should be used as a means of adding more sophisticated maps into the loved section that top players are interested in while still maintaining some level of community input. People have already mentioned the positive affects that giving such maps loved status could provide so I'm not going to bother rehashing that here.

The details would still need to be ironed out on how to select such maps for voting but it would likely require a voting/suggestion system restricted to top players by which they could select/vote on the list of maps to use in a 2nd round of voting open to the entire community (similar to what we have now).

Tl;DR: Current voting system is pointless due to maps selected. Overhyped maps should be added to the loved system by another method and voting should be reserved for interesting/unconventional maps that top players actually want to play.
Jonis221
Poll ended!
show more