forum

Questions for single tappers

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Fix
Hey! I have quite a few questions for single tappers out there.

I've been playing alternatively my whole 3 months of osu and recently tried switching to single tapping a week ago because alternating it's not that good at circle jumps and such (idk the terminology)

I'm used to alternating and can pass songs very well with it until it comes to the squares, stars, etc.

I tried switching to single tapping. I can tell I improved at hitting those circles but now I struggle with triples, streams, etc. because of the way I used to play. Note that I use Z as my single tapping main key, not X.

For example:

(The 3rd combo to the 1st next combo)
I can do this alternating but I can't do it single tapping.
Since I got used to Z as my main key, going X Z X(Hold) messes me up because I use Z as my main key.
My question is how do you guys do it? Do you ever try to match up the slider to the main key you use?
Am I supposed to go:
Z(Slide) X Z X Z X(Slide)? (For the combos ^)
or
Z(Slide) X Z Z X Z(Slide)?

Same thing goes for triples, followed by a slider. Do I match the slider with my main key?

Sorry if it doesn't make sense. I need tips on how I can play like this please.
Pawsu
Going to move to Gameplay & Rankings as it's more suitable there.
chainpullz
I just hit anything/everything with whatever finger I feel like it at the time. Being able to hit patterns with weird finger orderings is a beneficial skill for if you want to play any sort of map with complex rhythms. In addition, being able to single tap comfortably with either finger is a very beneficial skill for high bpm as switching fingers periodically helps conserve stamina (ie. rrtyui does this in a lot of his fast DT plays).
Topic Starter
Fix
Alright, thanks for the tip. I'm thinking about just using both methods.

Alternating for regular and single for jumping.
clayton
For objects 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 1 I'd go Z, X, Z, Z, X, Z, where Z is the main key.

It has nothing to do with the sliders, though--- The only thought that goes into this tapping style is determining how close the next object is in time. If it looks like a 1/4 snap, I'd switch fingers, and if it looks like a 1/2 snap, I'd use the main key (for a song of this bpm). That means that the only time I'd reset my tapping to the main key in this pattern is between 5 and 6.

If there were a pattern, circle-circle-circle-slider where all notes had a 1/4 snap between them, I'd play it Z, X, Z, X, holding X for the slider.

But, of course, you never are required to tap any certain way and you should really just go with whatever allows you to hit the object easiest.
Sandy Hoey
A single tapping play style doesn't mean that you still do triples and doubles with only one finger. Single tapping just means that you aren't always alternating.
Mints
I do doubles less than 200bpm single tap and triples Z,x,Z always. Normally I match the first note with my main finger only
Jukkii
I singletappers actually alternate 1/4th patterns. I singletap K1 and then start alternating patterns with K2. This is the most common playstyle among active players
Topic Starter
Fix
This is confusing. Oh well ;)
Thanks for the response!
Paneiru
Generally, you want to singletap everything that is possible to singletap. Start streams with your main tapping finger. For triples people generally start them with the main finger even if there are consecutive triples (jumps consisting of triples after each other). For the picture that you've posted, using the middle finger as the main tapping finger, the sequence should look something like this: (2 Z → 3 Z "hold" → 4 X → 5 Z) → (6 Z → 7 X → 1 Z "hold")
DonTouchMe
For me, since I single tap with my middle finger (Z)

Single circles (1/4 beat notes) : Z
Triples (1/8 beat notes) : ZXZ (hold Z if it ends in a slider)
Fives (1/8 beat notes) : ZXZXZ (hold Z if it ends in a slider)
Follow the same pattern for Sevens and Nines and so on...

Even if there's consecutive triples in succession, still hit them as ZXZ ZXZ.

Basically, you ALWAYS start with your primary finger, and end with your primary finger for the aforementioned patterns.
It's good to keep this in mind because these show up a lot in ranked maps, unless you're playing a technical map with lots of doubles/fours in which you need to develop your own comfortable approach to those. ^^

Just a note though. Singletapping is usually:
-good for maintaining accuracy, because you're only only keeping track of rhythm with one finger which is easier than two fingers, but
-bad for high BPM maps (from my experience i struggle a lot at anything above 195 BPM)

Best of luck in learning singletapping!
Endaris
You can also just alternate more.
Alternating is a viable playstyle among others.
There are also people who switch their main tapping finger during such patterns:
They would tap x x x xzx zxz z z z zx zx z z zxzxz xzx zxz z z z
It would also be viable to do this on the same pattern:
x x x xzx zxz x x x xz xz x x xzxzx zxz xzx z z z

The one relevant thing is that you decide on a logically consistent playstyle and stick with it.
NixXSkate
I usually use the same finger I was on the slider with on the 1/4 note after, but do it whatever way you're comfortable. If you can do it well and accurately using the opposite finger after the slider, then go for it, because it probably feels better to not end on the opposite finger for that next triple (at least it does for a singletapper).
Basically, I would: X(hold),X,Z,(pause)X,Z,X(hold)
But this is ok too: X(hold),Z,X,(pause)X,Z,X(hold)
Ronja
play more