forum

[resolved] What exactly is Snapping?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Koenhs
Problem Details:
So, I wanted to make a beatmap and I already basicly finished 1 diffuculty of it and I decided to check the rank criterias once more and I read about snapping.
What exactly is snapping? I know it has to do with timing and that your map has to be perfectly snapped but right now i got 149 unsnapped errors as you can see.
So, What is snapping and how do I get my beatmap snapped?

Screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: 20161101.2 (latest)
Starrodkirby86
If you see the timeline up top, a note automatically snaps to a piece of that timeline, which, if your map is correctly timed, would have your beats consistently be in rhythm and on time. If you notice your current notes, they're generally a bit all over the place -- you may want to use a more basic beat snap divisor like 1/1, 1/2, or 1/4 until you get the hang of rhythm and beats.

If you want to snap all your notes to the timeline on the current divisor, you can select Timing > Resnap All Notes or Timing > Resnap Current Section.

You can kind of got a good idea of this more by watching some of pishifat's videos on rhythm and the editor.
Caput Mortuum
They're not placed or assigned to a beat or tick.
Upskirt
Make sure the slider beginning and endings are placed where there is music.
Topic Starter
Koenhs

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

If you see the timeline up top, a note automatically snaps to a piece of that timeline, which, if your map is correctly timed, would have your beats consistently be in rhythm and on time. If you notice your current notes, they're generally a bit all over the place -- you may want to use a more basic beat snap divisor like 1/1, 1/2, or 1/4 until you get the hang of rhythm and beats.

If you want to snap all your notes to the timeline on the current divisor, you can select Timing > Resnap All Notes or Timing > Resnap Current Section.

You can kind of got a good idea of this more by watching some of pishifat's videos on rhythm and the editor.
Thanks a lot. this really helped but once i was done with ''snapping'' there was still 1 slider end that was unsnapped, I tried removing it an replacing it and I also went to timing>Resnap All Notes but that didn't work either. is there something i'm overlooking/not doing right?

Lanturn
It's because of the timing point that you have in the middle of the slider. You'll either have to manually adjust it through the .osu file or work around it by not having the slider run through the timing point. First method can be tedious but if you want to do it, then I can explain when I get back home from work. Usually if you have a new timing point though, it starts on a strong note and should be mapped to. To be honest though. Your timing might not even be correct, since you have a lot of notes placed on the 1/3 instead of the white line.
Topic Starter
Koenhs

Lanturn wrote:

It's because of the timing point that you have in the middle of the slider. You'll either have to manually adjust it through the .osu file or work around it by not having the slider run through the timing point. First method can be tedious but if you want to do it, then I can explain when I get back home from work. Usually if you have a new timing point though, it starts on a strong note and should be mapped to. To be honest though. Your timing might not even be correct, since you have a lot of notes placed on the 1/3 instead of the white line.
Yes, that would be nice. :) This is the first time im making a beatmap so its all still new to me. Ill try to upload it as a ''Work in Progress'' Map so i can link it and you can maybe take a better look at it.

Here it is: p/5628321#p5628321
Upskirt
Make sure to take a look at Pishifat's mapping videos.

You can also take a look at what people look for when modding to improve your understanding of mapping.