forum

[Archived] osu crashes at startup!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ninjastarr
Problem Details:

Osu is crashing at startup. The crash came after playing around with the graphics settings in-client on Cutting Edge.

This is the error from the "oh no!" error thing:
SPOILER
OpenTK.Graphics.GraphicsModeException: Failed to retrieve GraphicsMode, no fitting configurations, error SUCCESS
at OpenTK.Platform.Egl.EglGraphicsMode.SelectGraphicsMode(SurfaceType surface_type, IntPtr display, ColorFormat color, Int32 depth, Int32 stencil, Int32 samples, ColorFormat accum, Int32 buffers, Boolean stereo, RenderableFlags renderable_flags, Boolean fullscreen)
at OpenTK.Platform.Egl.EglGraphicsMode.SelectGraphicsMode(SurfaceType surface_type, IntPtr display, ColorFormat color, Int32 depth, Int32 stencil, Int32 samples, ColorFormat accum, Int32 buffers, Boolean stereo, RenderableFlags renderable_flags, Boolean fullscreen)
at OpenTK.Platform.Egl.EglContext..ctor(GraphicsMode mode, EglWindowInfo window, IGraphicsContext sharedContext, Int32 major, Int32 minor, GraphicsContextFlags flags)
at OpenTK.Platform.Egl.EglAnglePlatformFactory.CreateGLContext(GraphicsMode mode, IWindowInfo window, IGraphicsContext shareContext, Boolean directRendering, Int32 major, Int32 minor, GraphicsContextFlags flags)
at OpenTK.Graphics.GraphicsContext..ctor(GraphicsMode mode, IWindowInfo window, IGraphicsContext shareContext, Int32 major, Int32 minor, GraphicsContextFlags flags)
at #=qU4jLEGMnzz$CZ397s1limrr$MysNXKRtIvM5e4C2n$IIx1wC4EdkkxYAhzbQWZI7.#=qWrBwv39BFPKlkK8Bm$U_FA==(Int32 #=q1KYPjQuhZbUT8W1$7P_HEg==, Int32 #=ql8q2ugdTRjkC8xJeK7jBEw==, GraphicsContextFlags #=qJR1m953IJ50MNDyFRTSakQ==)
at #=qqeHP39ecRDvNuyWMEi$Ye$htFjn8vvH31AFlwIn3XO2Yy4yJQKHenBt37K8KappN.OnHandleCreated(EventArgs #=qxHLRL2rJLmsBqWzM4be46w==)
at #=qR0WJf_Z8GQUwIElUxPDRFZlbP6KKk1mVOgu72zET_mwRebbTWmTwgI1ZcUCHlffw.OnHandleCreated(EventArgs #=qxHLRL2rJLmsBqWzM4be46w==)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmCreate(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmCreate(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at #=qiZk6n3e51sOkTbyWI5Ie0hbsxW3Kfhw5lJdEzSugLqM=.WndProc(Message& #=qbBWmiiKNO8zMO3QdLFqA1A==)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

the "repair osu!" shortcut seems to be unusable in my case, as I can't actually click the configuration window. Elaboration in screenshots section.

System info available upon request, although I'm not sure what I have to offer.
video card: NVIDIA GTX 570; Graphics drivers are up to date

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

generic error thing

result if i open "repair osu!". the osu! configuration window can't be clicked because of the crash window. closing the crash window closes the configuration window.
SPOILER

Steps taken to produce the above photo:

• 1. use task manager to ensure no osu!.exe windows are open

2. launch the "repair osu!" shortcut

3a. "oh no!" window and "osu! configuration" window both open simultaneously. I cannot interact with the "osu! configuration", as trying to do so makes the "oh no!" window flash as if it were a window "above it" that must be closed first. photo is taken in this state.

3b. closing the "oh no!" window closes both windows. "osu!.exe *32" disappears from the task manager.

osu! version: 20161101cuttingedge
Pawsu

ninjastarr wrote:

The crash came after playing around with the graphics settings in-client on Cutting Edge.
Do you mean the Debug options or the detail settings?
If it isn't the debug options, I'm going to assume you enabled Shaders and then it crashed. You can easily check if they're enabled by going to osu!.<pcname>.cfg in your osu! folder and looking for the line Shaders = #. If the number is at 1, it means it's enabled. You'll want to change it to 0 and then save it.

If this isn't it...Do you know what option you were playing with?
Topic Starter
ninjastarr
Shaders is set to 0, so I don't think it was that.

I think I remember switching from windowed to fullscreen (or the other way around, maybe) and getting a black screen, and then a crash or something along those lines.

It began crashing at startup after this.

edit: I don't think it was the debug options, since I don't know what you mean by that. All of my settings stuff was in-game.
Dntm8kmeeatu
In the config file try enabling compatibility mode and see if that does anything.

Double check for a graphics driver update, or maybe attempt re-installing your drivers.
Topic Starter
ninjastarr
"CanForceOptimusCompatibility" is set to = 1, and it still crashed. :c
graphics drivers are up to date.

is there a catch-all solution that always works, a re-install or something along those lines? I have ~82gb of maps though so losing them would be pretty saddening.
Pawsu

ninjastarr wrote:

"CanForceOptimusCompatibility" is set to = 1, and it still crashed. :c
graphics drivers are up to date.

is there a catch-all solution that always works, a re-install or something along those lines? I have ~82gb of maps though so losing them would be pretty saddening.
It's the line CompatibilityContext, not CanForceOptimusCompatibility. Try setting that to 1 instead.
Hopefully this will work. Usually, uninstalling is a waste of time and there is a solution that doesn't involve reinstalling, so don't worry.
Topic Starter
ninjastarr
I regret to inform you that it still crashes after changing that one too; also thanks for the reassurance!

(and thanks for being here to help)
Topic Starter
ninjastarr
bump?
Kao
Bumps are made when it is on page 2 or archived..
Topic Starter
ninjastarr

Kao wrote:

Well, it's made its way down to the second page, now.

oss when?
Pawsu

Kao wrote:

You can bump when it's been more than ~a week without replies.
Dntm8kmeeatu
Make sure you're running 32bit colors not 16?

This error means something graphics wise is toast (Normally Drivers) Try reinstalling them or trying different drivers (if supported)

If that doesn't work, One user was able to "fix" this be taking his GPU out of his PCI-Slot and then putting it back in (Which seems ridiculous to me as to how that made it work.)