forum

Porter Robinson & Madeon - Shelter

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
rikia
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Thursday, November 24, 2016 at 7:44:40 PM

Artist: Porter Robinson & Madeon
Title: Shelter
Source: Porter Robinson
BPM: 100
Filesize: 30408kb
Play Time: 05:26
Difficulties Available:
  1. BlausIllusoryWorld (5.22 stars, 701 notes)
  2. Virtual (5.58 stars, 943 notes)
Download: Porter Robinson & Madeon - Shelter
Download: Porter Robinson & Madeon - Shelter (no video)
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
game over
---------------

SPOILER
This map was supposed to be a Diff for Monstrata's Shelter map, I loved the song and decided to map a diff for his mapset. The only problem is that I have NO clue how this mapping stuff works (What a GD is, what a mod is, how to become mod), and I apparently didn't even tell him or ask him that I was making a diff for him. I downloaded it when only VINXIS's Diff was there, but it took me too long (2 days) to finish mapping this, even with errors. But its 5 minutes and im not willing to make another Diff D: I changed the BG and plan to hitsound this, but my main focus would be having this in a rankable state and having no timing/placement errors.
Edit (Like two weeks before finish, I forgot to put a date D:): added hitsounds on 50% of the beatmap
Edit (10/30/16): Finished hitsounding, If some parts arn't hitsounded or the hitsounds sound off pls tell
Edit (11/4/16) (Or 11/5/16, it just turned midnight for me as I'm updating): Attempted to Fix 'Irregular Rythem' with sliders until 42.8% (I'm updating because I don't want it to go to the graveyard)
Edit (11/5/16): Attempted fixing more irregular rythem until 73.5 (Updated this incase I need to spec someone play it)
Edit (11/5/16): More Nerfing and decresing spacing, seems more and more like a 'map' now.
Edit (11/6/16): More Nerfing, Fixed Slider speeds (Only 3 different velo's, apart from the sliderheart at the end.) and Kiai time, even tho AiBot Says kiai time is more then 1/3, i don't feel Like I should change it since i put it in all the correct areas.
Edit (11/7/16): Got timing for piano from Monstrata (THANK YOU SO MUCH :D) And Fixed BPM on some parts, replaced slow slider with actual mapping on some parts, fixed/added combo colors till 64%. Will plan to finish tomarrow...Then it should be done?
Edit (11/8/16): Finally decided to Fix BPM, need to finish that and fix custom combo colors from 49.7. High Shoutout to BlaumacherXY For making Guest Diff (I guess this is a collab'd map?) and huge mods and advice, I couldn't have done it without you <3
Edit (11/9/16): Finished Combo Colors, Blue, Green, And Pink are used for non kiai time, and Red, Violet, and Red-pink is used for Kiai time, some combos were adjusted to look good.
Edit (11/10/16): Added following circles, should be rankable right now, right? (Whoops! forgot to edit ar from 8.5 to 9.3. fixed it. (now 9)) Changed CS (increase) because map looked like the CS was too high. Added different background, one that looks better in my opinion (Its in like the first 10 seconds, but I can see why it would be called 'spoilers')
Edit (11/11/16) : Added Blau's GD, removed stuff in mine diff, it looks different now right? (I downloaded the old one incase blau doesnt like it)
Edit (11/14/16): Attempted to remake map after watching pishifats vids, decided to upload what i have right now
Edit (11/17/16): 50% Remapped, kinda hard to remap stuff from scratch with distance snap and rules from pishifat's videos.
Edit (11/22/16): 100% Remapped, combo colors kindaish added, kiai time 'fixed' and small hitsounds added on some parts
Edit (11/24/16): Added Blau's Diff. hopefully I can get help on this beatmap
(12/17/16): I should've said this earlier, but I gave up on this map. It won't ever get ranked and I need help on my mapping
Darth_Mula
that 5,99 is the thing... i guess he wont let you cuz he want the higher star rating

why dont you ask mr monstrata?
Topic Starter
rikia
No, GD's We're full at the time...
Idk if they still are, but My map is in no rankable condition anyway..
BlauMeow
First of all read that: https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Ranking_Criteria

Hello!!!! I am not sure if you still want to get this map ranked or anything but i love this song truly too so I'll try to ... help i guess? ^^
Please don't flame me in any way! I never said I am good at mapping!!!

So to start off i think you should change the BPM to 100 (that's the BPM monstrata uses and the one I think is right too)

A formal thing! you should try to use if possible not more than 3 slider speeds! (or at least not if there's no good reason to them! And dude your sliderspeeds are rainbows >.>)

Oke let's go!!

Why do you have 3 Timing sections? One is enough with 100 BPM!!!

general stuff
If you change the slider speed the player has to get it of the song otherwise he will be suprised / out of the flow xP

Take care that the sliderends are okay (meaning not in the rythm)

Don't just put random jumps everywhere if you are out of ideas!!! (at ca. 01:06:742)

The change in distances is a bit very ... inconsistent. I am not saying that's like always bad but here I think if you can't really "hear it from the music" it's no good in my opinion.

These streams are weird if you use new combos on every single circle. I think you should not do that!

Oke honestly i think you're mapping it too fast >.> I mean i tried it and it just doesn't fit the song like it's fast map to a slow song!

When the piano piece starts: Forget mapping that part if you can't time it the right way! It's really difficult to time a solopiano part so dont do it!!! (look at Roose from Lan Wings ... not sure if I wrote it right sorry ^^)

My modding is based on my own opinoion and personal assumptions / ideas!!! Please don't get mad or anything I am just trying to help :3

Oke you really should consider starting anew. With these sections of sliderspeed everywhere modding and trying to understad the map gets seriously annoying! When you do that dont change how loud each part is at the beginning already you can do it later! And iI think you might shoud try to get the map mapped with as less slider speed changes as possible!
Topic Starter
rikia

BlaumacherXY wrote:

First of all read that: https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Ranking_Criteria

Hello!!!! I am not sure if you still want to get this map ranked or anything but i love this song truly too so I'll try to ... help i guess? ^^
Please don't flame me in any way! I never said I am good at mapping!!! I do but theres a good chance it won't happen

So to start off i think you should change the BPM to 100 (that's the BPM monstrata uses and the one I think is right too) Whats wrong with 200 BPM then? Its just faster sliderspeeds and the timing is still fine... I don't want to change it to 100BPM because then I would have to Re-map and re-hitsound EVERYTHING.

A formal thing! you should try to use if possible not more than 3 slider speeds! (or at least not if there's no good reason to them! And dude your sliderspeeds are rainbows >.>) I'll fix that tomarrow...Also they're rainbows because Its supposed to be like that, like kanpan or notch hell (well not THAT fast)

Oke let's go!!

Why do you have 3 Timing sections? One is enough with 100 BPM!!! Sliderspeeds, volume, alot of reasons. I'll try to organize that tomarrow.

general stuff
If you change the slider speed the player has to get it of the song otherwise he will be suprised / out of the flow xP If you are talking ab out the slow sliders, then I already have it planned to change them to regular ones tomarrow.

Take care that the sliderends are okay (meaning not in the rythm) ????

Don't just put random jumps everywhere if you are out of ideas!!! (at ca. 01:06:742) Those are what I call 'jump solos' and they are supposed to be like that in that tone that repeats. but I plan to add sliders to the ones (Or place then notes at the exact same area) that are faster, like the one that is 1/2 jump and then there is a 1/4 jump, I'll put a slider in the first two jump solos and then I'll add the notes in the same areas. but yeah I like jumps that make you wanna rage ;3

The change in distances is a bit very ... inconsistent. I am not saying that's like always bad but here I think if you can't really "hear it from the music" it's no good in my opinion. I can't hear it in the music, I can't exactly read music and find out how exactly far I have to put a jump, but I try ti put them in the same area Or jumping larger, I planned to fix placements tomarrow and sunday, as well as adding touches like fixing random daidai gerome jumps

These streams are weird if you use new combos on every single circle. I think you should not do that! Its just personal style, it shouldn't be unrankable but if it becomes too much of a deal i'll fix it when I start working on combo colors and kiai time

Oke honestly i think you're mapping it too fast >.> I mean i tried it and it just doesn't fit the song like it's fast map to a slow song! Not exactly sure what you meant by that, but I did map it too fast (one to make it high star rating, two because I over-estimated the song I guess) and I should fix that this weekend, but otherwise its fine.

When the piano piece starts: Forget mapping that part if you can't time it the right way! It's really difficult to time a solopiano part so dont do it!!! (look at Roose from Lan Wings ... not sure if I wrote it right sorry ^^) What do you mean? Its timed good to me, every note is on the piano in 25%, and sounds fine in 100%

My modding is based on my own opinoion and personal assumptions / ideas!!! Please don't get mad or anything I am just trying to help :3 I feel like you are insulting me jkilytysm

Oke you really should consider starting anew. With these sections of sliderspeed everywhere modding and trying to understad the map gets seriously annoying! When you do that dont change how loud each part is at the beginning already you can do it later! And iI think you might shoud try to get the map mapped with as less slider speed changes as possible!So basically you want me to delete the map and remap a map that took me days to map.....Not sure about that. Myself im selfish and lazy because I don't want to re-map it, but Just because my style is fast and jumpy doesn't mean it doesn't have to be deleted! Some maps can sound very fast and makes no sense on an Eazy Diff, and this is no exception. I guess this would be an Arles type of map, but It isn't at the same time. I'm not exactly sure about mapping speed of songs because I don't have experience in that yet. If I have to start anew i'm just gonna choose a new song than...
BlauMeow
Oke (if you need a guestdiff i might make one btw I really like this song after all ^^)

Then let's try to get it ranked!

The problem with 200 BPM is you still can map it and the metronom still fits yet it is too fast. If you want to get it ranked it has to be perfectly timed! that means that 200 BPM wont be allowed! And about the remap thing yes that's true but nothing one can do about it! It hasd to be perfectly timed! Don't hitsound it yet if you start anew hitsound once you are finished with the map technically!

That's what I meant with the piano part stuff too! every part you map has to be perfectly timed and the problem is a perfectly timed piano part looks somewhat like this:

(Monstratas again)

You see how he changes the BPM every few seconds in the end? That's because you can't map it perfectly otherwise (also some technical problems with osu but important is just that you would have to get it perfectly timed --> Monstratas if you decide to map it!)

It doesn't just need to sound nice it has to be perfect!

I don't want to insult you =3= sorryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Slider
Oke the slider thing I'll look at it again if you fixed it :)

0:55:867 There is a slider end which at least gets me out of the rythm. Might be a personal issue though (also 00:56:242 , 01:15:442 )

One last thing! The map needs to be innuitive playable that's the most important thing in my opinion don't forget that!

BTW: sry idf I repeat myself I just hav problems getting structure in things I write :c

So much to what I meant with my last mod ^^

Now the new mod:

Still the Sliders! Watch out with the endings!!! It gets the player out of the rythm:
00:55:492 :
Just let them end on a full beat instead of a half one!!

01:06:442 I feel like this part is just overmapped! Why not make the sliders a little bit slower and less fast? You can add the evil hard jumps in better places in my opinion!

01:28:642 I feel like you could map that part as it is it's kind of boring in my opinion!

01:37:042 I feel like the spacing here is a bit out of the blue. Most player wouldn't excpect a slider so far spaced.

01:56:842 The change in sliderspeeds is always so sudden! It might be okay ... I just can't play it very good ._.

02:06:442 Watch out about slidershapes! They should look as "round" as possible so they are fun to play!! (not round such as putting circles everywhere!!! :P)

There are more problems (mostly about rythm the map should be with the song (is so hard to do i knooooooow >u<) but i need to sleep now so I'll continue an other time! And dont worry every map has thousands of problems but as long as you stick to mapping it and improving yourself in mapping I am sure you can get this ranked!

Good luck!!!

See you tomorrow if I have the time then I am very busy with school >.> we can talk on discord or something if you want to then I think we could do this more efficiently though I am no pro so i dont know about many things >.< I could tell you my opinion though!!!)

btw I think you could use Distant snap for the beginning if you want a static spacing through the map it helps a lot!

Also you might want to look at this very interesting!!!

t/37194

It helps a lot if you want to Make shapes!!
Topic Starter
rikia
Sorry, I didn't see your post before I finished editing, but I gtg to sleep rn so I'll look at this on tuesday, but I edited Kiai time, sliders, and velocity, so it should be fine now. Please check it and see if I already fixed anything or not. I'm gonna have to ask Monstrata about the BPM, if I can use it in my map, incase he lets me.
EDIT: I asked VINXIS (He also mapped shelter GD for monstrata) about it, he said that the BPM is the same thing. https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/6517631 I have a feeling that if I ask Monstrata about it he will say the same thing, I will ask him once hes online but im afraid he might be angry at me for interrupting him, not sure... I have to ask him about timing anyway for the piano part, so i'll let it alone at that. [size=150]A Guest Diff will be helpful, But I need 1 more anyway. It says that it has to be Normal or easy but I don't want one, because it makes no sense to have a 1* diff and then a 5-6* diff, But what is it made up of is your idea. If you make an easy diff then i'm forced to make a Insane diff to make up for the sudden gap. "The problem with 200 BPM is you still can map it and the metronom still fits yet it is too fast." Too fast as in what? The Timing is still there, the beats are placed properly. I fail to see the issue, if slider velo was the issue then that was already fixed, if its still too fast then people will have to deal with it, there are ranked maps that have fast slider speeds Hollow Wing's maps) The BPM thing I still have to ask Monstrata about. I also deleted the sliders that are small pauses, and the extremely fast ones (Only slider speeds allowed: x1.00, x0.50, x0.25, and x0.17 at the end, its just for one small slider art, but if it is such an issue, then I'll have to make the slider larger with x0.25 velo. 'One last thing! The map needs to be innuitive playable that's the most important thing in my opinion don't forget that!' Please say that in different words, I don't get what you meant D:
BlauMeow
Okeydokey!!!

So with innuitive playable I mean that basically the player needs to be able to "feel" the map a lil bit! Like if the spacing suddenly changes! But I think you edited thst already very much so i think that's way better now!

Okay I think the map is actually way way way better!!! But sorry I just cant find the time to mod it (I came home today and yesterday around 7 pm and was like really tired sorry for that!)

I'll mod it again promise today I'll continue mapping a diff (you can use if you want to you dont have to!!!).

This is not a mod!!! just a try to get informations :P

The BPM thingy ask a good mapper about it I can't really explain it! But tI'll still try >.<

So the point is BPM means beats per minute! That means that every song has one and just one!!! So if you use 200 BPM here then you give 1 Beat two Beats (correct me if I am wrong!) that's still possible to map but technically wrong!!! So just use 100 BPM then go to the top right corner and put the weird bubble on a stickj to the right to get it to 1/8!

Also important!!! when you change the timing to 100 BPM make sure you enable the: "move already placed notes when changing offset/BPM! Like that it doesnt change the offset of the circles what means you don't need to put them to different places afterwards (they wont be at different locations in time ... sorry for crappy english >.<)

then to let the slidervelocity be the same put it on 3,60 then save the map and open it again!!! everything will still fit just with higher bpm!

Again this is NO MOD! still thanks for your time :3
Topic Starter
rikia
Thank you so much, I have school tomarrow and i HAVE to sleep RIGHT NOW. I accidently gave you kudos, sorry
Shiirn
stop giving kudosu to everyone that posts, that's not how kudosu works. One kudosu per person per map that gives direct advice on how to improve your map. That's how kudosu works. If one person helps more than once, they only get the first kudosu.

I'll call a BN/GMT to clean this up.
Topic Starter
rikia

Shiirn wrote:

stop giving kudosu to everyone that posts, that's not how kudosu works. One kudosu per person per map that gives direct advice on how to improve your map. That's how kudosu works. If one person helps more than once, they only get the first kudosu.

I'll call a BN/GMT to clean this up.
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
if only you actually helped my map rip.
flopper727
I love this map<3 I hope it ever gets ranked! Good luck :)
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.