forum

[invalid] Self-Exclusion from Game

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +9
Topic Starter
micajoeh
Many players complain about being addicted to osu!, and it really is an addiction to many, but said players can't force themselves to be unable to play.

Some players do suffer adverse health effects, such as RSI, Carpal Tunnel, and eye strain, yet still play the game.

If players do choose to exclude themselves, they should effectively be "banned" in a sense. Similar to the system provided by the British Columbia Lottery Corporation, found here, minus their fines. Players could exclude themselves, either indefinitely, or for a set period of time, to allow themselves to recover.

A normal ban, however, likely wouldn't suffice for this, due to offline usage of the client. When a user self-excludes themselves from osu!, the following should happen:

1) The user's profile is removed, as if the user was restricted and/or banned

2) The client(s) with a self-excluded user's log-in information stored, would be prevented from running, and if the user attempts to install osu elsewhere, the installer would check for a registry key, and if the user has excluded themselves, it would provide an error reading: "osu! cannot install on this computer, as the account associated with this machine has self-excluded themselves from play. Your exclusion will end: (Time of exclusion end)".

3) The user will be able to recover from any pain and/or injury resultant from the game play.

4) when a user attempts to login to the osu.ppy.sh portal, upon completion of login, an error preventing user access to the site should appear.

It'd be beneficial for the recovery of sufferers of RSI, as all that takes, is time to heal.

This will provide injured players, a proper chance to recover, and it could even be achieved via a simple form. It gives players who want to quit, a better chance at quitting, and at recovery.
Caput Mortuum
They can play elsewhere without logging in. And what if he is logging on someone else's computer? Would it be locked too?
Sandy Hoey
Deleting or "banning" the account doesn't stop anyone from playing, it just removes the account. Lots of people play offline without logging in.
Caput Mortuum
you misquote or what

The client on their computer is locked because of the exclusion, but the player could still play elsewhere without logging in.
And, what if that player logged into my computer, would the client on my computer be locked too?

is what i'm saying
Bara-
Just uninstall if you don't want the temptation to play for a while
Topic Starter
micajoeh

Eraser wrote:

you misquote or what

The client on their computer is locked because of the exclusion, but the player could still play elsewhere without logging in.
And, what if that player logged into my computer, would the client on my computer be locked too?

is what i'm saying
Simple, if its logged from another IO address, the logon request is dropped, and the client is locked temporarily. Maybe a 1 hour period? Dunno.
Topic Starter
micajoeh

Bara- wrote:

Just uninstall if you don't want the temptation to play for a while
Thats about the equivalent of telling a person addicted to smoking to "just throw out your cigarettes to avoid temptation".
Pawsu
I see your point, but I'm almost positive this won't happen, sorry. Asking for things like a deactivation have always been denied. I do not see why this would be an exception.
Please don't double post, by the way. Simply edit your previous.
Stefan

micajoeh wrote:

Many players complain about being addicted to osu!,
They should get a doctor first before they rant about their incapacity to quit a game - or to differ addiction from "not want to quit".

Generally, quit the game, use a password generator and put a long-ass password so you can't login in the game. If they keep playing the game offline, that's nothing *we* need to take care.