forum

Community Mapping Contest #1 Discussion and Questions

posted
Total Posts
show more
DoNotMess

Amethyst507 wrote:

yea i seen that

as for mania, it's quite impossible to make it to 5.5 stars, mine is like totally impossible to win but it is just right for the contest at 5,5+
Evening is on it
Akasha-

Amethyst507 wrote:

Is "EXTRA" diffuculty strictly set on 5.5 star level in every game mode including mania?
Already extra when your diff is >5,25*
Also yes.
5.5- would be enough for me.
Sonnyc
A little question regarding the portion of the commuity voting; is the winner selected 100% based on the community voting, or are there some internal discussions too?
Amethyst507
The question is..
One of the information given in the contest rules is maps are treated as extra only when the diff reaches 5.5 or above.
Mania at 5.5+ is very insane and i think it is a good idea to reduce the star difficulty condition for mania (only)
Amethyst507

DoNotMess wrote:

Evening is on it
I made all the SVs myself, the background and everything lolz, he has done nothing to my map once.

I was gonna ask evening how was it but nvm that
stryver12

Amethyst507 wrote:

DoNotMess wrote:

Evening is on it
I made all the SVs myself, the background and everything lolz, he has done nothing to my map once.

I was gonna ask evening how was it but nvm that
@Amethyst I don't think this is the place to discuss that....
Shionia-Chan
inb4 nobody vote for less popular key on mania,
as for advice to have a fairly fair vote, i suggest each user that want to participate the vote should vote for whole difficulty on the selected gamemode.

let say~ im gonna vote for 4k
i should vote for easy normal hard insane extra which submission is the best of course without knowing the mapper

Plus, it is best to divide 4 5 6 7 8 9 key as different category of mania.
of course we do not want to see X key win because X is more popular and majority vote goes there leaving all other key left behind unfair.
As result, it is better to have winner of each key category than only X key win over the other~
nyawnnn~
Amethyst507

Shionia-Chan wrote:

inb4 nobody vote for less popular key on mania,
as for advice to have a fairly fair vote, i suggest each user that want to participate the vote should vote for whole difficulty on the selected gamemode.

let say~ im gonna vote for 4k
i should vote for easy normal hard insane extra which submission is the best of course without knowing the mapper

Plus, it is best to divide 4 5 6 7 8 9 key as different category of mania.
of course we do not want to see X key win because X is more popular and majority vote goes there leaving all other key left behind unfair.
As result, it is better to have winner of each key category than only X key win over the other~
nyawnnn~
It was mentioned earlier, it IS divided. Different number of keys are different categories.

Another thing, it is impossible to map such song up to 5.5 star via 4k. (Why 5.5 when the icon turns X at 5.25 star? Also mentioned earler, because the contest rules said 5.5+ counts as X, lower dosent count.)
Exodrive Elegy
excuse me.
how to enter into the contest beatmap?
Neo Adonis

Exodrive Elegy wrote:

excuse me.
how to enter into the contest beatmap?
You will from https://new.ppy.sh/community/contests/3, but at the moment submission isn't open yet. You'll have to wait for more specific details, also.
-Hanashi-
Does "as represented by star rating in the game client" mean that if I'm going to make a standard easy it has to be strictly 1.5 stars or below?
Exodrive Elegy
OK...Thanks
chainpullz

Pituophis wrote:

there's gonna be a ton of extra submissions for standard lol
I wonder how many of them will be by rlc. :? :? :? :? :?
Akasha-
It was mentioned earlier, it IS divided. Different number of keys are different categories.

Another thing, it is impossible to map such song up to 5.5 star via 4k. (Why 5.5 when the icon turns X at 5.25 star? Also mentioned earler, because the contest rules said 5.5+ counts as X, lower dosent count.)
I still believed 5,25* is already extra to me and writer misreading somewhere else, if he had good explation or confirm about this so its fine, else I still follow RC

Easy: x < 1,5
Normal: 1,5 < x < 2,25
Hard: 2,25 < x < 3,75
Insane: 3,75 < x < 5,25
Extra: 5,25 < x

Also why follow star difficult? This system still broken and if someone push the map forward to be harder to get extra icon which would be really bad imo
Shionia-Chan
i c
tq for the clarification~
yup, hopefully it will be a good contest
dionzz99
are hitsounds required?
i'm kinda lazy on doing hitsounds
Amethyst507

dionzz99 wrote:

are hitsounds required?
i'm kinda lazy on doing hitsounds
You can apply hitsounds if you like imo
Like Epherwhat? said, custom hitsounds are prohibited, so use default hitsounds instead.
Kimitakari

BOI
Diva Days

i just wait for judge fast..

honestly, who want my map lol
play rainworld

last place here we go
Kradfiz
So if I had a 5.42* submission, should it be Insane or Extra?

The rules say to follow the in game rating, but also that at 5.5*+, it becomes Extra, so what about the region in between 5.25 and 5.5?
Diva Days

Kradfiz wrote:

The rules say to follow the in game rating, but also that at 5.5*+, it becomes Extra, so what about the region in between 5.25 and 5.5?
idk.... but i think u can try both but only one diff

5.4 > insane O
5.4 > Extra O

5.4 > Insane,Extra X

5.3 > Insane O / 5.4 > Extra O

5.4 > Insane / 5.3 > Extra X
7ambda

Kradfiz wrote:

5.25-5.5 also falls under extra since the rules specifically state that difficulty tiers follow exactly by star rating.

I'm guessing they mean you can only submit ENHIX, so if you have a 6 or 7* diff (don't know why they stated 5.5 as a minimum value), you can't submit more lower star diffs in order to keep a consistent difficulty gap. If you have a high star last diff, that'll be your extra.
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
I've updated the OP with answers to a few of the pressing questions posted.
JBHyperion

If submissions close on the 25th Oct, it won't even been a month since the contest was announced (29th Sept), let alone since submissions opened (7th Oct)... Is this correct?

Edit: lolsniped
ZiRoX

Ephemeral wrote:

When do submissions close?
Submissions close on the 25th of October server time. We highly recommend submitting your entry 48 hours before to avoid timezone issues.

How long will the contest run for?
At the very minimum, at least one month after submissions open. We will likely extend this time, and we will announce publicly a week before submissions close fully.
The second answer explicitly say that there will be one month after submissions are open, and the current deadline doesn't even gives us one month since the announcement of the contest (28th of September). Now we suddenly find ourselves less than 2 weeks until submissions are closed, while it should be, at the very least, close to 4 weeks considering submissions opened around lasst Friday (the first time I noticed they were open was October 7th).

Edit: freaking JBH sniping me
Edit2: lol 1 sec difference
Niko-nyan
I'm done with my Kantan and Futsuu for this one :3 gl guys
Topic Starter
Ephemeral

JBHyperion wrote:

If submissions close on the 25th Oct, it won't even been a month since the contest was announced (29th Sept), let alone since submissions opened (7th Oct)... Is this correct?

Edit: lolsniped
Very good point.

I'll extend the contest deadline until the 7th of November so that there's a full month since submissions opened, just to be safe.
texasaboy1
I have a question. So let's say there is a 5+ star map. Is that insane or extra? Would it be insane because it says 5.5+ stars is extra?
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
Yes, it would be an insane.
Bluekrait
What should we name our difficulties before submitting?
hannanos

Ephemeral wrote:

Yes, it would be an insane.
Does this rule also apply for the mania mode? So something that is 5.3* is an Extra by the game client, but is counted as an Insane for the purpose of this tournament?

The only reason why I'm checking up about this is because it is rather hard making a 5.5* map to this song for mania, while keeping it within the ranking criteria and making it enjoyable to play (probably not impossible, but I haven't figured out a way yet without overmapping some sections)
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
If the game considers it an Extra, it's an Extra. Vice versa for all the other modes as well.
lenpai
rip planned bms diff

threw in my map hoping for the best!
Yuuki Konno
Are "unrankable" maps allowed, such as the Aspirant winner Transform?
AKA: Do we have to follow the rules of a normal map?
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/484689 <-- Transform

Also, we are allowed to change the timing right? XD

Thanks,
~Yuuki
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
No, all maps must follow the Ranking Criteria as closely as possible. Minor violations are permitted for the sake of not having to vet every entry with a fine-toothed comb, but any issues with winning maps will be resolved in the post-contest modding as per a normal ranked map.

And yes, you are allowed to alter the timing if you wish. Just make certain that your alterations are (mostly) correct, or you may find it hard to get votes for your entry!
Topic Starter
Ephemeral

Bluekrait wrote:

What should we name our difficulties before submitting?
The respective name of their difficulty tier would be best. So 'Hard', 'Insane', etc.
N0thing
Hello,

I'm kinda confused. When are we supposed to hand the maps in? Because although the pages say 7th november I saw peppy saying that we have to hand it in on the 25th october which litterally is in 7 days.

Thank you for the contest anyways, my mapping skills have risen by x²
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
The pages will always have the correct date, so the 7th of November is what it is!

We bumped the date forward after we realized due to feedback from this thread that it wasn't really enough time.
Osuology
Are custom Extra names allowed? Or do we have to name extra difficulties "Extra"?
show more