forum

MapleStory Mapping Contest

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Chard
Good day gentlemen.

This is literally just a copy paste of the Reddit post, so if you already read that then there's nothing new here.

I am here to announce a MapleStory themed mapping contest, hosted by myself. The rules are as follows:

The song must be from the MapleStory game. A good source for getting them would be here, or you can look at a huge playlist of available songs here.

The map must be of good enough quality to be ranked. No incomplete mapsets will be accepted. Although 2B/Aspire maps are cool and all, they won't be accepted into this particular contest. Also, although you may include other game modes in your mapset, only STD will be judged.

GDs are allowed, but the owner of the map gets to decide who gets what percentage of the prize.

The mapset should have a certain number of difficulties depending on length. The criteria are as follows:
  1. 5+ minutes 1 diff
  2. 4:00-4:59 2 diffs
  3. 3:00-3:59 3 diffs
  4. 2:00-2:59 4 diffs
  5. 0:00-1:59 5 diffs
PRIZES
There will be two winners of this contest: one chosen by me and one chosen by community vote. If I choose the same one that the community chose, the second place community vote will get the prize. Both winners get the same prizes: two years of osu!supporter or, if in a country where I can directly give you money, then $52.

The contest starts now and will go through December 2nd at 20:00 PST.

Submissions can be done here, or in response to this thread.

Good luck!
_DT3
Ok, I apologize if I sound rude
But although I know that you're trying to be serious, it doesn't exactly look like it.

Some questions that haven't been answered yet that are crucial for the contest:
How will the community vote work?
By what criteria will the maps be rated?
Is there anyone with sufficient judging experience going to help judging?
Is there anything else about how long the judging might take and other staff-related things?
Any other rules?
Etc.

What I am trying to say here is, doing something like this requires massive work to do and usually doesn't get big unless you have somethings organized etc.
So if you do plan on actually doing this, try looking at these questions again and think about whether you really want to do this or if you just want more beatmaps made with these tracks
Again, sorry if I was rude
Topic Starter
Chard
Community voting will start after the contest ends (December 2nd). Currently, the plan is to have an open poll where anybody can vote on their top three favorites, practically identical to the Taiko mascot voting. How the vote will be hosted is still being decided, as strawpoll is easily manipulated and Google forms aren't available for everybody. I'm open to suggestions on what service to use.

The criteria for community is just whatever the community wants to vote on, clearly. My own vote is based on how much I enjoy a map. This may seem arbitrary, and it definitely is. Make no mistake, this is absolutely entirely subjective and I don't plan on changing it. I'm personally sponsoring the tournament out of pocket, I see no legitimate reason why I shouldn't be able to have my own vote.

Unless you count the community, there's no "sufficient" judging experience. Is that an issue though?

Community vote will remain open until December 31st, 8:00 PST, and I'll announce the results within 24 hours.

Should there be any other rules? Did I forget something? The idea is that the contest can be approachable by any mapper who wants to participate. If there's some obvious rule, that I missed, let me know. Some questions I've gotten so far:

Can I submit multiple entries?
Yes, as long as both entries meet the difficulty criteria

Are remixes allowed?
Yes, as long as it's clear that the remix is of a MapleStory song.

I do want more MapleStory maps, which is part of the reason why I'm hosting the contest, but I also just wanted to host a contest in general. I chose MapleStory maps because I like the songs, but it could have just as easily been a TV size contest. I'm willing to judge each and every one of them, every single difficulty, even if it takes me the whole judging period.

Hopefully this clears up any confusions ^.^
roufou
I assume this is standard only : ?
Topic Starter
Chard

agu wrote:

I assume this is standard only : ?
Yes, sorry. I'll edit to specify.