forum

Got worse from practicing over a whole year

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
darkhinh
Let me start from the beginning..
Summer 2015 was when I started to see my ability rise and slowly become top 50 in Norway. I was happy with that of course but suddenly
then when I decided to change my tablet area.. well that was a huge mistake. Every week or so from then, I would change it again and again and again
until my aim just slowly deteriorates throughout the whole year. I'm not doing anymore changing to my tablet area and that is good but I also changed my
pen grip a million times just to see some improvements with my aim. The pen grips I tried from were: Hvick225, WubWoofWolf, Azer, and Cookiezi. This was
also a huge mistake because I could not go back to my first pen grip. Everytime I tried to make the same pen grip that I had, it didn't have the same feel to it.
So I have been practicing streams/high bpm maps and jumps, but the only thing I improved were AR 10.3 reading and NOT finger speed or stamina. My main
tapping finger is the middle finger and start with the middle finger on streams. However, it feels like my index finger is not there or that it's very weak compared to my main finger. Since I have been watching WWW's stream a lot, I've been seeing that his streaming ability has worsened. That's what my streaming looks like to me and others. Lately I've been thinking of quitting osu because it doesn't feel like a game for me anymore and after all the things I have done till now
has eventually ruined my playstyle. If anyone has had or has the same problem pls post it here!
Nabel_old_1
Or you could just play this game for fun and not care about your rank? Once you get too obsessed about your rank it often stops being fun and you'll end up quitting. I've had this happen to me with multiple games where I've put thousand of hours in and ended up quitting because I couldn't handle being compared and evaluated all the time.
N0thingSpecial
Go back to easier maps, you were probably pushing yourself too hard
Caput Mortuum

Nabel wrote:

Or you could just play this game for fun and not care about your rank? Once you get too obsessed about your rank it often stops being fun and you'll end up quitting. I've had this happen to me with multiple games where I've put thousand of hours in and ended up quitting because I couldn't handle being compared and evaluated all the time.
DAMMIT. goodbye lost saga.
Endaris
Yeah, take a step back and reflect on why you're playing this game, what is the most fun about it and then decide how you can achieve the fun with the minimum of stress.
Topic Starter
darkhinh
Yeah, I only play from time to time right now. It's not that fun to not be better at something you have spent a lot of time on especially this game.
I will try to play easier maps and just gradually go up after some time :)
mulraf
you aren't getting worse. competition is getting harder.
i had similar thoughts but took a step back from looking at my rank and now i'm looking at my pp instead. i'm still trying to be competetive but even if i decline a bit in ranks i still am happy since i know i'm actually improving.

https://ameobea.me/osutrack/user/chocola/

this will help you if you want to do the same. look at that top score you just set 1 month ago. way higher than your other scores. true, 1 year ago there was a little spike but you're still getting lots of good new scores. in my opinion the nr. 1 score is very important since it usually shows your current limits. usually it's not that hard to fill the gaps, the difficult thing is to raise the bar. since you already did that to such an extent you should be fine.
i just looked you up at that page the first time. if you continue to play lots of usefull information will pop up there.
Sylveon
1. competition is getting alot harder as people have said in post. I remember two years ago I was rank 8k after playing 3 months, 2 years on I'm rank 5k with 35k more PC.

Ok with that out of the way, so tips with finger tapping:

to strengthen your index finger you need to practice using it as your main finger. and starting triplets/streams with it. I had this problem for a long time, this is what helped me. Don't be lazy about it and get frustrated even now I still can't use it half as well (doing triplets and streams starting with it), but I've gotten to the point where I have strengthened it enough to actually get a decent stream potential going.

If you find yourself not visibly improving the reason could be your setup is limiting you from doing so. People who say you can get rank 1 in this game by hard work in game are LYING. The EASIEST way to improve is to find the BEST setup you can for you. This means buying a good monitor, a good keyboard, a good gaming chair, sitting position. I was in the same position as you for about a year. I didn't gain a single PP or fc and I couldn't understand why. I looked at ar10.3 thinking, ive spent 10-15k PC on it yet I'm still as shit as I was 1 year ago. Then I bought a new monitor NOTE: IT DOESNT HAVE TO BE 144HZ just a good monitor. The day I bought it, I went from getting 78% on ar10.3 maps like DAD-sons, to 96% and FCs. I didn't do anything different, I just wasnt using a shit monitor. Since then, I have changed my setup again and again, and have seen that changing it has helped me get through plateaus. I moved my monitor further back, gave myself a bigger tablet area. started dragging. Changing tablets, I went from the tablet most ppl use (cookiezi's) to WWWs. This helped me alot as I could never find a hand position with the other tablet.

Oh and tablet position is important, I.E how it is positioned on your table with comparison to how you sit, mess around with this and when you find a good position and grip. TAPE THE TABLET DOWN IN THAT POSITION TO YOUR DESK LIKE WWW. That way your not constantly retrying to learn muscle memory if you accidently move it!.

Osu is like sport.

It doesn't matter how hard you try. Your only going to get so far if your technique is crap. Not to mention watch others pass you who to you, arn't working as hard. but have better technique (setup).
NeXt4r_
what does competition do with rank?
Topic Starter
darkhinh
I had a spare membrane keyboard to use. So I tried using membrane instead because maybe using mechanical (red switches) stopped me from improving. The first map I play already showed significant difference. It was easier to tap with the membrane, very little power was used and not as tiresome. It does look like some things can be problems concerning your setup.