forum

Etrian Odyssey Series (EO4 Released [EU soon])

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Lilac
Website Update for EO4 (Now US Version): http://www.atlus.com/etrian4/

Hurrah! Finally, I might be a little late but I'm bumping this massively anyway to say that this game was released like...5 months ago in America but more importantly that Europe and Australia will be receiving these real soon! Yay~ 9 classes with a secret 10th. Along with Street Pass and Air travel now~ So excited~

Oldpost: Bah, I couldn't find a thread that completely dedicated itself to this series.

The Etrian Odyssey series is your standard dungeon crawler on the DS and even gets you to draw the map yourself. However, unlike older dungeon crawlers, the game uses a 3D overworld movement. It's currently had 3 releases and I have all 3 of them. (R4 but they're REALLY hard to find in Australia now.)

Anyway, I really do hate 3F on EO2. The aggressive FOEs are annoying.
Card N'FoRcE
I LOVE these games.

Pure Dungeon Crawling and absolute no-mercy at the beginning with no tutorials and shit like that.
Even thought it's hard as hell at the beginning, i never completely dropped the game (maybe i took looooong breaks, but i always resume them) because it's still a really nice challenging game.

Good amount of classes and great amount of customizable abilities to create your own strategy.

Also, FAIRNESS WITH STATUS AILMENTS FOR GOD'S SAKE. Unlike Final Fantasy, even bosses are weak to status ailments like you and you can also have a strategy using them at your advantage. This is one of the things i like the most in this games' battle system.

The only thing i "dislike" is that finding shourtcuts is a pain because you have to constantly turn left and right to check every wall, but i can live with that.
Rantai

Card N'FoRcE wrote:

I LOVE these games.
Add a <3 and I can say this is how I feel about the series.

The challenge of it from my first steps into the labyrinth was what drew me in and hooked me. Looking back my initial party was made of fail (2x Protector, Lanschneckt, Alchemist and of course Medic) but I trudged along with that party all the way up to receiving a Rhonin which replaced my Landschneckt while my Alchemist was replaced by my Bard... anyway.

Working on EO2 now though (with the exact same set up) and must say the sidestep addition was a godsend, shortcuts are a lot easier to find now XD. Though ever since getting that bow worth 210000 en (halfway through the second stratum, dear god the farming) my Bard has been completely unstoppable.

I kind of have mixed feelings about EO3, I'm sure the gameplay will be as good as ever but I'll lose my Medi-loli D:

I'm quite glad though I didn't realise how broken Immunise was until the Bloodstream area (ie didn't assign points to it), it probably would have taken a lot away from the challenge of the game.

I demand to know where you got your R4 Lilac.
Two_old
always get to the end and lose interest

same thing happened when I played the persona games
Topic Starter
Lilac

Rantai wrote:

I demand to know where you got your R4 Lilac.
China, Beijing, Pearl Market. Rantai. However, recently I discovered it was a clone and I had to cry myself to sleep that night.

EO2, I had... 2 parties like always. However, I named them after osu! users~ I believe, for the ten people I had, the only class I didn't chose was...Hexer. I'm pretty sure.

Besides, I talk about these games like I'm a fanatic...I haven't even passed 3F. I got really frustrated. T_T
Topic Starter
Lilac
Massive bump for 2 reasons.

Etrian Odyssey IV is being released soon. It's for the 3DS which I sadly don't have but chance are that I will be forking out my own money just to buy this. Hell, I'll even buy the game before I have the console just to say that I own the bloody thing.

Second is, I know Rantai will comment about this as well as blissfulyoshi if I can get him here. I'll see if I can get EO2 up again and start playing it on my free time. Elaborating on Two's point, games like these lose my interest but in a different way. I will play, realise that I've done so little or stuffed up somewhere and restart a new game all over again, just like the Persona games.

Legit bump, I swear.
Sinistro
I've played the first game and enjoyed it well enough. Music was especially good. I may play the second once I'm desaturated.

EO4 on 3DS is good news, if this keeps up there may be enough games worth playing on the 3DS for me to consider buying it.
Ivalset
Sinistro, that's bad news. You're being forced to buy another shitty handheld.

I think your dentist dollars are getting to your head.
Rantai
Huzzah EO4~

I should finish EO3 asap.
Hiza-chan
^ I need to finish 3. I tried to pick it back up but I lost interest fast XD. I'm level 52 or so but I can't seem to get any interest in it again.

Oh wait, it's for the 3DS. Not getting it until they come out with a better one or some decent games with it. Cause of right now, there really is no point in getting it. I wouldn't mind getting Zelda but I already got it for the Wii.
Dafydd
I saw an advertisment of this awhile ago.
Looks fun, except I never experienced making dungeon maps and stuff.
Azure_Kite

hizachan wrote:

Oh wait, it's for the 3DS. Not getting it until they come out with a better one or some decent games with it. Cause of right now, there really is no point in getting it.

But quite a few cool 3DS Exclusive games have already been released ._.

Looks at Kid Icarus, Resident Evil, Mario Kart 7, Crush 3D
Starrodkirby86
Hmmmmm... This topic's a bit thin right now.

Just got into this series. Just as I expected as it is, but better.

And these. Just these. ;__; (Though I managed to beat that Ragelope into the ground...)

I'm not surprised at how people keep saying how difficult the game – though I find it very manageable. I always cry when I see the newest enemies always topping the older ones in some sadistic way, but after a while, the game nicely balances itself out. Can't wait to map-make more!
Topic Starter
Lilac
I believe it's the initial difficulty of these games which make it so.

Like I said, I believe they'll make two difficulties of EO4 (Still not sure.) now in order to try and rake in a bigger audience for this game but if it's done...hoo, well.
Azure_Kite
It could be like the American Release of Metroid Fusion where they removed the difficulty and also any option to restore said difficulty.
blissfulyoshi
Well, Atlus has never been known to tone down game difficulty for American releases (to my knowledge), so we will probably get both difficulties. As for the 2 difficulties, from what I read, one is the normal difficulty and other is the casual difficulty. I just hope this means that the normal difficulty will be harder since I felt 3 was a bit too easy in comparison to 1 and 2 (I heard 3 was toned down a bit for wider appeal)
Topic Starter
Lilac
I'm so pumped~ http://www.atlus.com/etrian4/

Read the first post for clarification since I edited that. Ahhh~

And I had to bump this massively, I kinda want to judge who would buy this (or who has already bought this).
Ivalset
It's a good game and it was worth getting a 3ds for. Though they seem to be getting a bit easier, probably due to a combination of them actually getting easier, less terrible class design and just getting used to the formula.
Topic Starter
Lilac
Ival, where have you been? T_T

Also, I'm kinda laughing since you said something about the 3DS earlier in this thread. I want to get it myself so I'm preordering here.
Ivalset
I'm everywhere and nowhere.

And yeah. I still retain the 3ds is a garbage handheld with a shitty gimmick, but I had some money to burn anyway.
Topic Starter
Lilac
Cheer up, want me to send you some drawings? Or nice letters?

Should talk again as well.