forum

does smoking effect on gameplay?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
artofdying
i think the reason i'm not getting better is cuz i rage too much which is probs cuz i smoke, what u guys think? :)
Yuudachi-kun
Smoke more
Sandy Hoey
I mean, it could I guess. It can make your hand shaky and make you short of breath which will effect your aim and focus. Really, there isn't any reason to smoke anyways. But it shouldn't be so bad that you can't play and still improve
Yuudachi-kun
What if you smoke because you want to
Topic Starter
artofdying

Sandy Hoey wrote:

I mean, it could I guess. It can make your hand shaky and make you short of breath which will effect your aim and focus. Really, there isn't any reason to smoke anyways. But it shouldn't be so bad that you can't play and still improve

My hands are shaky like hell tho and im short of breath xDDD ty bro didnt even notice that xd
LoliPantsu
have fun playing osu when you get CANCER from smoking and you'll have to start cooking crystal meth in order to pay for the treatments and support your family.
Endaris
Excessive smoking can cause your game to have framedrops.
dung eater
nicotine probably helps a bit short term, other stuff is just bad for you short and long term

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine# ... erformance
Frikandel

LoliPantsu wrote:

have fun playing osu when you get CANCER from smoking and you'll have to start cooking crystal meth in order to pay for the treatments and support your family.
Science, bitch!
Topic Starter
artofdying
so should i stop?
LoliPantsu
if u dont want cancer, yes
Topic Starter
artofdying

LoliPantsu wrote:

if u dont want cancer, yes
i already have cancer tho
TakuMii
why get cancer from smoking when you can get cancer from dank memes
Topic Starter
artofdying
i mean look at my profile, i didnt improve in 3+ months and i ended up getting analy raped by 40k rank in multiplayer today so i rage quited
Hiro-Senpai
VAPE NATION
vegaloquees
no
ninjastarr
To explain the context of my emotionally loaded and overall biased post, I have a relative (an uncle; father of two young children and wed to an unemployed wife) who is at risk of death from lung cancer.

-

Quitting smoking will be extremely difficult if you decide to do it; It takes a lot of willpower and you will more than likely suffer from withdrawal symptoms for a while. My own father and all of my uncles – three of them, except the aforementioned one who refused to try quitting – all quit smoking for their children's sake, one of them also going sober from being an alcoholic.

You may not have a stimulus as major as childbirth, but please, quit anyways.

Osu! aside, it'll banish the "smoker stigma" that may prevent you from meeting new friends who do not smoke. I'm not sure if this stigma exists in Serbia, but in Canada it's rather apparent – and especially if you're young.

Furthermore, many restaurants, cafés, and workplaces prohibit you from smoking or bar you to specific areas, as far as I can tell. Quitting may quite literally give you more freedom and options.

On the other hand, if you smoke as the result of peer pressures to do so, and have made friends who you share a bond with solely because they smoke, the hard truth is that you might have to slowly cut ties with them and make new friends. If you hunt around, there are undoubtedly support networks of people who are taking the plunge and also desire to quit.

It is great if you have a friend to quit with you, but it is truly and individual decision to follow up on. you're better than this; you don't need to smoke.

Finally, for osu itself.

Yes, if your hands are shaky and you are short of breath it will most likely affect your gameplay. [url]Precision vs. accuracy in rhythm games is very important, as no matter how accurate you are, if you have low precision then you will be bottlenecked by it. However, high precision and low accuracy can be fixed by tinkering global offset. Shaky hands would suggest to me that you have low precision, but based on your top scores you do have high accuracy for whatever reason, especially around the ~4.8 star level.

There is also the possibility in trying to improve your 'skill' at osu, you're practicing things you're already good at instead of stepping out of your comfort zone and playing maps that you perform worse on – but the point on precision and shaky hands still stands. As an anecdote, I have a friend diagnosed with [url]essential tremors (who doesn't smoke) who has quit rhythm games due to frustration.

tl;dr – please quit smoking. you're better than this. it probably does affect your gameplay, but there's other possibilities in case you refuse to quit.

thanks for reading.

please read the full thing if you just skipped to the bottom, kenjisaku.
Pituophis
I don't smoke, but I dip Copenhagen(spitting tobacco). Literally every time I play osu! I dip. I can't play properly without it. If I don't have a dip in I'll rage over the smallest things.
Quitting next week, though.
Yuudachi-kun

Pituophis wrote:

I don't smoke, but I dip tobacco. Literally every time I play osu! I dip. I can't play properly without it. If I don't have a dip in I'll rage over the smallest things.
Quitting next week though. I'll probably fail at that, like I do in everything.
Quitting is for quitters
Pituophis
damn it, didn't edit fast enough
The Gambler
Doesn't nicotine in general do bad stuff to you in the long term anyways?
[Haku]

Kenjisaku wrote:

so should i stop?
I really hope you're trolling
dung eater

The Gambler wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine#Adverse_effects

it does not seem very harmful
Sandy Hoey

jaaakb wrote:

The Gambler wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine#Adverse_effects

it does not seem very harmful
I think the worst part is that it makes smoking addictive. The ash is what hurts your lungs the most, but because of the nicotine you do it more and more often and it is extremely hard to stop
Fxjlk
Your physical health does effect your playing ability a bit which is why many pro gamers work on getting fit.

It probably wont have a big impact on your playing ability but its probably worth it to quit if you consider its impact on your entire life.
TakuMii
Pro tip: healthy cardio = happy fullcombo