forum

Satoru Kousaki - Jinchiku

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Enkidu
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Starrodkirby86
So I'm going to write this post hoping that whatever you take from it you can improve in either this map, or a project you're doing in the future.

[Hachikuji]
00:13:482 (3,4,5) - See below.
00:19:482 (6,7) - Generally things like this have a bit of an aesthetic issue upon overlay. It's not wrong per se, but at times you may want to consider redesigning the pattern to go around that and work better.
00:28:398 (1,2) - (and notes like this) Wow, I didn't realize that these were actually 1/3 notes when playing. The actual drum beat of it does follow that, but it's so faint it's really hard to hear. I wonder if they should be closer by or not, but I totally misread them as 1/4 notes. Perhaps the hitsound volume needs to be quieter, or the introduction of this kind of rhythm needs to be more apparent first-hand.
01:04:481 (1,2,3) - The aesthetic issues I was talking about come into play from earlier. Though as it's a speed map I can see your point. :P At the moment though, these sliders look a little bit like what my dinner was in the restroom.

I think after realizing that the rhythm was pretty much a 1/3 waltz, the song got far more readable. I think I was confusing them as immediate jumps from the slide-end with a 1/4 to the next beat.

For the most part though, it's a pretty straightforward map and you pretty much know that. :P I can't really comment further specifically on that, but the map itself is pretty much homogeneously triangles throughout the whole thing. There are some different variations thrown, such as the differing beats of hitcircles to sliders and the gradual triangles towards the end (which were pretty nice!), but I think if you wanted to take the map more into flavor town you may want to pay attention to some of the quirks and make memorable patterns pertaining to such.

For instance, when the main piano melody gets introduced 30 seconds in, the triangles could be introduced or be emphasized every piano triplet. From there, you can challenge the player with each instance that main piano melody kicks in, while keeping that constant beat you already maintained. This can further be highlighted to a challenge point when it picks up at the end towards 1min 37secs into the song. I think there are moments like that to which you can expand upon, if you're interested.

So if there's things that you want to take away from this, it's to polish and look for any aesthetic mishaps, think about moments of the song, and see what kind of good times you can give the player, the more devious the better.
Topic Starter
Enkidu

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

So I'm going to write this post hoping that whatever you take from it you can improve in either this map, or a project you're doing in the future.

[Hachikuji]
00:13:482 (3,4,5) - See below.
00:19:482 (6,7) - Generally things like this have a bit of an aesthetic issue upon overlay. It's not wrong per se, but at times you may want to consider redesigning the pattern to go around that and work better. this makes sense, yeah - watching auto play it and having watched a few people play it now it does look confusing from an aesthetic standpoint, i could probably rework this to be far more readable
00:28:398 (1,2) - (and notes like this) Wow, I didn't realize that these were actually 1/3 notes when playing. The actual drum beat of it does follow that, but it's so faint it's really hard to hear. I wonder if they should be closer by or not, but I totally misread them as 1/4 notes. Perhaps the hitsound volume needs to be quieter, or the introduction of this kind of rhythm needs to be more apparent first-hand. Absolutely, the actual drum beat is barely audible with its current hitsounds and if and when I hitsound this I'll make sure to make them soft - I'm not entirely sure how I could make this more clear to the player beforehand considering they're introduced suddenly and faded out gradually but that's a very good point yeah!
01:04:481 (1,2,3) - The aesthetic issues I was talking about come into play from earlier. Though as it's a speed map I can see your point. :P At the moment though, these sliders look a little bit like what my dinner was in the restroom. To be entirely honest with you, I just threw sliders down almost at random here and was like "YEAH THAT LOOKS LEGIT." Will remap this part to be far more playable and enjoyable.

I think after realizing that the rhythm was pretty much a 1/3 waltz, the song got far more readable. I think I was confusing them as immediate jumps from the slide-end with a 1/4 to the next beat. I don't blame you - the song itself is sort of tricky in that regard, and there's currently no way of discerning that. I'll definitely try to figure out how to really emphasize that somehow early on in the map to make it easier on people who might play it.

For the most part though, it's a pretty straightforward map and you pretty much know that. :P I can't really comment further specifically on that, but the map itself is pretty much homogeneously triangles throughout the whole thing. There are some different variations thrown, such as the differing beats of hitcircles to sliders and the gradual triangles towards the end (which were pretty nice!), but I think if you wanted to take the map more into flavor town you may want to pay attention to some of the quirks and make memorable patterns pertaining to such. Yeah I was sort of trying to follow a "gimmick" in a sense every ~8 seconds (when the beat itself changes or when a new instrument is introduced into the track) while staying true to the idea I had with it, which was - despite the speedmap aspect - "TRIANGLES ARE FUN" - however, I see how I strayed away from that in multiple areas and I'll go over it and see if I can keep it mostly in line without straight-up copypasting if possible.

For instance, when the main piano melody gets introduced 30 seconds in, the triangles could be introduced or be emphasized every piano triplet. From there, you can challenge the player with each instance that main piano melody kicks in, while keeping that constant beat you already maintained. This can further be highlighted to a challenge point when it picks up at the end towards 1min 37secs into the song. I think there are moments like that to which you can expand upon, if you're interested. Good shit - so essentially, instead of changing the pattern every couple of 'repeat cycles' i guess we could say, emphasize the more pronounced piano notes, that makes sense. Around 1:37 is where I was trying to make it the most challenging with the kickslider 1/3 notes as well so that would work out quite nicely!

So if there's things that you want to take away from this, it's to polish and look for any aesthetic mishaps, think about moments of the song, and see what kind of good times you can give the player, the more devious the better. devious ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Thank you so much for the mod and for your time in doing this, I'll take this advice to heart! <3