forum

(Various Artists) - A Journey through 4K [OsuMania]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Cadmium-113
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 11:32:26 AM

Artist: (Various Artists)
Title: A Journey through 4K
Tags: SKETCH UP! Recordings Opening Candy Star Attack Attack! Interlude you Shiawase Transmission LeaF Doppelganger DJ Myosuke Collapse of Ego SUPER STAR 滿-MITSURU- ALL MY TURN xi Blue Zenith Fleshgod Apocalypse The Hypocrisy t+pazolite Stardust Lullaby Beek Oh delia 削除 sakuzyo Rainbow Night Sky Highway
BPM: 200
Filesize: 53240kb
Play Time: 06:00
Difficulties Available:
  1. (Marathon) - Delete Upon Download - 4Key (0.04 stars, 2 notes)
  2. Act I. Sunrise - 4Key (5.09 stars, 1840 notes)
  3. Act IX. Aftermath - 4Key (5.35 stars, 1995 notes)
  4. Act IV. Conflict - 4Key (5.76 stars, 2401 notes)
  5. Act VII. Onslaught - 4Key (5.74 stars, 7317 notes)
  6. Act III. Impact - 4Key (6.31 stars, 2200 notes)
  7. Act X. Epilogue - 4Key (5.2 stars, 1776 notes)
  8. Act 0. Prologue - 4Key (4.38 stars, 698 notes)
  9. Act V. Resolve - 4Key (5.42 stars, 3867 notes)
  10. Act VIII. Subsidence - 4Key (6.52 stars, 3789 notes)
  11. Act VI. Challenge - 4Key (6.31 stars, 4571 notes)
  12. Act II. Departure - 4Key (5.21 stars, 1936 notes)
Download: (Various Artists) - A Journey through 4K
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
*Note: Please sort by 'Date Added' or 'Creator' to group the maps.

A Journey through 4K..

Scroll down for more information.

Special Thanks to puxtu for the hitsounds!

General Information
Introduction
Into 4.5 months in making, I finally completed a pack with 11 maps available for play.
With various genres of music, I tried to create files that would be each of their own with unique but enjoyable patterns.
Hope you enjoy.

Playing the mappack
Feel free to delete the blank 6-minute '(Marathon) - Delete Upon Download' difficulty; it was needed for the mappack to be uploaded.
As said above in bold red letters, please sort by 'Date Added' or 'Artist' to group all the maps together for easier navigation.

About the mappack
This is a concept mappack, in which I envisioned an abstract scenario that the flow of music would go through, and tried to embody that flow into each of the maps and the patterns contained within. In this case, I imagined the player setting sail in a ship and going through an adventure.
For individual map information, scroll down below.

Act 0. Prologue
An adventure is about to begin...

Song: SKETCH UP! Recordings - Opening
Length: 0:51 (0:48 drain)
BPM: 170

Music Description
The main melody theme for the J-Core song 'Candy Star', from the album 'Candy Star'.

Map Description
A very short introductory file that has some jumpjacks mixed in at the end.
Advanced players can probably DT this.

Act I. Sunrise
Rise and shine, a new day comes forth.

Song: Attack Attack! - Interlude
Length: 02:05 (02:05 drain)
BPM: 140

Music Description
Being in a genre of EDM and Trance, it is quite generic but catchy and is a calming track.
Track #7 from the album 'Someday Came Suddenly' by Attack Attack!.

Map Description
A technical file centered around jacks and bursts.
The latter half contains a lot of LNs mixed in with the harder patterns, making it harder to read as well.

Act II. Departure
The ship sets sail, onto the endless seas.

Song: you - Shiawase Transmission
Length: 01:54 (01:54 drain)
BPM: 210

Music Description
A fast-paced Happy Hardcore track from SDVX. Living up to the title, it is indeed a very jolly piece of music.

Map Description
I tried my best to make the music come to life in the map.
Most of the map is covered in SVs, and you will find that the streams vibrate to the rhythm due to this.
The patterns are mainly handstreams with some 1/6 sections and minijacks in between.

Act III. Impact
Cruuunch! ...Attention, all passengers on board...

Song: LeaF - Doppelganger
Length: 02:24 (02:23 drain)
BPM: 280

Music Description
This track is truly chaotic from BMS.
As you go through a speedy adrenaline rush, you may find yourself wondering just what you have been listening to when it ends.

Map Description
The file is as chaotic as the song itself.
Starting with jacks, harsh bursts consist the majority of the midsection while the end is a long 1/4 stream with jumptrills.
Most of this map is covered in SVs, and since they are centered more around the rhythm than playability, not all of them are sightreadable.

Act IV. Conflict
Pandemonium ensues as lifeboats are dropped.

Song: DJ Myosuke - Collapse of Ego
Length: 02:18 (02:07 drain)
BPM: 350

Music Description
Track #12 from the album '600 OVER!!' by the Japanese Speedcore Label 'Psycho Filth Records' featuring various artists.
350BPM Speedcore/Jabber with a very ominous but also epic melody theme.

Map Description
Mainly layered upon 1/2s, the frequent bursts consisting of 1/4s and later 1/8s make this file really speed-intensive.
More lenient patterns for bursting considering the very high BPM.

Act V. Resolve
The last bits of the ship sinks below and the sky turns grey...

Song: SUPER STAR 滿-MITSURU- - ALL MY TURN -このターンに、オレの全てを賭ける- (long ver.)
Length: 04:20 (03:43 drain)
BPM: 170

Music Description
J-Core mixed with Trance, makes for good dance floor music in my opinion.
Originally from Beatmania IIDX, the (long ver.) is track #1 from the album 'ONLY ONE ACT', a compilation of (long ver.)s of most of the songs SUPER STAR 滿-MITSURU- has made for BEMANI.

Map Description
A low BPM quadstream file with light minijacks as a side component.
Relatively easy compared to the other maps.

Act VI. Challenge
The storm begins, and so does the fight to stay alive.

Song: xi - Blue Zenith
Length: 04:13 (04:06 drain)
BPM: 200

Music Description
Track #5 from the album 'Parousia' by xi, released via 100sec Records.
A very powerful Trance music track with heavy bass beats. Starts cool and escalates to epicness.
727 ded meme

Map Description
Relatively lenient minijack patterns with some bursts throughout the first half.
The kiai introduces dense minijack-handstreams followed by dumpstreams consisting of 1/6s and 1/8s.
Just a warning: it gets crazily difficult towards the end, so try not to waste any stamina.

Act VII. Onslaught
The downpour refuses to stop, shaking the lifeboat like a leaf.

Song: Fleshgod Apocalypse - The Hypocrisy
Length: 05:31 (05:31 drain)
BPM: 250

Music Description
Track #2 from the album 'Agony' by Fleshgod Apocalypse.
A pretty heavy Metal track, mixed with some symphonic elements that make the song somewhat resemble an opera.

Map Description
Endless 250BPM jumpstreams with 1/6 dump-ish patterns for the accented double pedal parts, plus a abstract dump section for the guitar solo.
With very few breaks throughout the whole map, this file is fairly stamina-intensive.

Act VIII. Subsidence
The rain starts to thin out, revealing a clear night sky.

Song: t+pazolite - Stardust Lullaby
Length: 04:34 (04:19 drain)
BPM: 240

Music Description
Track #14 from the album 'HARDCORE SYNDROME 6' by the Japanese Doujin Music Circle 'HARDCORE TANO*C'.
A fast-paced, yet stragely calming Speedcore track. I feel like this track is an embodiment of the twinkling stardust in the sky.

Map Description
For the most part, pretty straight forward 240BPM handstreams with the occasional minijack, plus some chords.
There is also a brief vibro section at the first half which inflates the star rating to where it shouldn't be.

Act IX. Aftermath
A sigh of relief and jubilance as land comes into sight.

Song: Beek - Oh delia
Length: 01:41 (01:41 drain)
BPM: 230

Music Description
Track #18 from the album 'gingerbread' by Beek.
A very retro 8-bit Chiptune track, with a really nostalgic but also cheerful feeling to it.

Map Description
A speed file centered around 1/6s.
Starts off pretty tame but increases in note density and eventually becomes all 1/6s at the last quarter.

Act X. Epilogue
As the survivors land, who knows what awaits them...

Song: 削除 - Rainbow Night Sky Highway
Length: 02:04 (01:51 drain)
BPM: 174

Music Description
A Drum 'n' Bass track off of Cytus.
Overall very calm, but the middle is dissonant, interrupting the flow of rhythm and the bass taking over the melody position. This part and its harmonization with the rest of the piece makes the track unique, in my opinion.

Map Description
A technical file, mainly mapped to match the bass rhythm. The middle section is very jack-heavy and has some unorthodox patterns.
The few stops in musical flow are brought out via SVs.
puxtu
beautiful set

hitsounds http://puu.sh/qFJWN/bf761c7bfc.rar
Crono
um have you playtested these yourself? It's really uncomfortable to play most of this.

Please note this is personal opinions and is intended as helpful criticism!

All tested

They are heavily charted in most cases. There seems to be no focus on any particular instrument in 60% of every song making each map really lacking in some of it. By lacking I mean it lacks flow. Seems like you put in alot of effort into each song trying to include every instrument. Sadly with only 4 columns/lanes there is only so much you should include at a single time. Also there are some unreadable SVs that are really not needed.

An example of unreadable SVs is Act II (you. - Shiawase Transmission).

The rule of SVs is they must be between part a and part b. part a being notes here and part b being notes here. no notes should be in between.

refer to here for a better explanation t/155780

Act I could be ok if you are trying to be the next Wafle. I mean like Wafle's SHD on AiAe. But that still flows well. It has a lot of unnecessary jacks that could be moved around to flow better. Sometimes it is better to make it more comfortable to play rather then stick to the pitch. Also dem 1/16 taps is just wow.

No kudos, a friend asked me check it out.

From a pro player POV tho I imagine it is quite a fun and challenging experience. Please do something about them SVs tho xD.

Anyways that is my opinion from a normal players point of view. Regardless of my opinions your chart is done with very respectable effort.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Topic Starter
Cadmium-113
Replying to Crono 9 days late because I don't check my threads very often:

First off, thanks for taking the time to playtest these maps and the effort to make a post with feedback. Really appreciate it.

Have you playtested these yourself?
Yes, I have playtested all of them for the most part except Blue Zenith [Act VI] (I played it on HT to check for syncing issues but yea).
I have also gotten this mappack playtested a lot of times to make up for the stuff I can't play and also for feedback in general.

They are heavily charted in most cases. There seems to be no focus on any particular instrument in 60% of every song making each map really lacking in some of it. By lacking I mean it lacks flow. Seems like you put in a lot of effort into each song trying to include every instrument. Sadly with only 4 columns/lanes there is only so much you should include at a single time.
Yes, they are heavily charted. I don't know how you interpreted every note, but not every note corresponds to a sound, as is the case with ranked maps or maps that go for rank; in other words, there are a lot of 'ghost notes'. These are intended for really higher-end players and are heavily pattern-oriented with the patterns usually following the 'densest' instrument and the melody usually exists as a guide for following an abstract pitch with the notes (For example, Interlude [Act I] is prominent with this with base beats mapped with triples and quads and between those beats are singles at 1/4 interval that are semi pitch-relevant. The middle section follows the snares for bursts and short LNs are utilized for trance in the second half; the only difference between the first half and second half of the middle section is reading.).
The flow exists in the constant stream of notes when playing these kinds of charts (DJ Sharpnel charts, the lost dedicated and dumps in general and the reason why you can't feel the flow is probably because you can't adequately play them to the level where you can keep up with the notes in the aspects of both reading them and actually hitting them.
There are a lot of things you can do with 4 lanes, probably more than you can imagine: I'd even go as far to say that there are near infinite possibilies. With ranked beatmaps or stuff that are trying to be ranked, however, that is not the case since there are a lot of limitations since the usage of ghost notes is prohibited meaning that if there's going to be a note, there has to be sound. For this reason, all the current beatmaps in the ranking criteria are heavily based on the music and do not consider playability or patterns as a primary component in mapping (which isn't even necessary anyways considering that the current level of players far exceed those of the charts) and as a result, most ranked charts as of now flow badly in terms of general playability and standard deviation in difficulty in accordance to music (As an example, you can take stuff like this where the difficulty is concentrated in short intervals, the kiai is undermapped due to lack of sound, and generally have no correlation to how the music flows.). I'm free of those rules as long as I'm mapping in the graveyard and therefore am going to do my best to utilize the possibilies of what I can do; what I should do is only restricted by my views as a mapper.

There are some unreadable SVs that are really not needed.
There are little to no unreadable SVs in these (Source: I have gotten a lot of playtests on these for the readability of the SVs and most players had no trouble getting an S on Shiawase Transmission [Act II] on their first play and they said that the SVs were readable upon being asked. A select few even scored an S or near S on Doppelganger, and I received feedback that some of the SVs are off screen for some players with high scroll speed, and have since lowered the velocity or moved the stops on some SVs.). Have you even looked in the editor? Each SV in every chart is between two notes. The reason why you can't read them is primarily due to you not being able to perfectly read the patterns in the first place and the SVs do not help with that. Even players who can SS the patterns with ease when given to them without SVs will have trouble getting good accuracy on them with SVs even if they are perfectly readable.

I don't mean to sound condescending, but this pack simply isn't for players at your level. I do imagine it wouldn't really be fun considering it would be tough for you to even pass one of these charts with decent accuracy (It's not fun for me either when I play stuff that I simply can't.). I would be really happy if you considered trying them after you improved upon your skills. I have received a lot of positive feedback from higher-end players and have also adjusted some charts for better experience since the first release of this pack, and I'm quite happy with how this pack turned out.
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.