forum

How Do I Mod?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
rohasshiki
So I'm a relatively new beatmapper and I've created a few maps for fun and even submitted one. I've been trying nomod queues a lot and haven't been able to get one, and I would really like to try M4M. The only problem is, I don't really know what modding entails. What am I supposed to do when I mod someones map? Since I've never received a mod before, I don't actually know what I'm supposed to do. If someone could let me know, it would be much appreciated. The more specific, the better.
sheela
When you mod a map, you point out the flaws or things you find that needs an change, in order to improve the map.
  1. Flaws are sometimes rule-breaking. You can check the Ranking Criteria to see if the map fits all of the rules. In the last section of the page there is the Guidelines. They are not obliged to be followed, but they are recommend and should questioned, whether this makes sense or not.
    Flaws can also be something that doesn't make sense. For example, in the difficulty Easy, you see two objects (circles, sliders) with a huge spacing in-between, but another set of two objects with the same rhythm has a smaller spacing than the previous. This is a flaw in the difficulty Easy because the spacing of both sets are not consistent, therefore it should be point out.
  2. Things you find that needs an improvement can be also flaws, but they can also be subjective. For example, when you think the pattern or the shape should be worked like that, the flow does not play very well, etc.
When modding, point out the objects or the timestamps first, explain why it needs to be changed, followed by a suggestion (like a screenshot). This helps a lot for the mapper to look what they did wrong and to avoid them for future maps. Though the mapper has the right to refuse your point, but they should explain why they didn't apply. This helps you see what was the mapper's intentions and learn new stuffs with mapping and modding.

Since this is your first time with modding, I suggest you get a mod, preferably from a good modder (and not a modder that points out only coordinations or "NC" without proper explanation) to see how a mod works. After you have acknowledge that, you can try to M4M if you like.

Also I recommend you check this guide compendium or ask a BN / QAT if you need further help.
Electoz
Doing lots of NM would help too.
If you're doing an M4M people would expect something to be fixed from your mod, which might be uncomfortable for some peoeple.
Modding others' maps for free would be the best way to learn because they won't expect anything much from you as they didn't lose anything to get your mod.
Bara-
I'd say that if you read this guide you'll get all the information you'll need to start with it ^_^

And I really agree with Electoz. It's better to start with some NMs so you'll feel more comfortable modding maps, before going to M4M