forum

[Discussion] osu! Mapping Theory Discussion Series

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
-Mo-
Hi.

A while ago I started creating a series of videos discussing some more technical aspects to mapping by observing what specific things works and what othes don't, and trying to explain why that is so.

I haven't posted it here so I might aswell.

I want this to be more of a community series where there is a lot of back and forth discussion regarding what I've gone over, rather than me just lecturing things like a teacher, because everything I've said is just what I know/think and could be wrong/improved.

SYAHME
Maybe I will learn mapping Osu!Standard later.
Sonnyc
I've watched the first video about physical response and momentum thing.
It was providing a physical reasoning for why certain flows are something players expect to be, and why some flows aren't playing well.

But I think there are some things to get clarified before just taking this theory as the whole concept of a flow. Basically the ideas provided here are regarding "comfortable" flows, instead of a "good map" overall. I really do hope that people don't just get caught with the idea of how to make comfortable flows and forget about some good patterns (which don't have a comfortable flow) such as pentagon jumps etc. Dealing some less physically intuitive flows are also one of the ability of players, and just providing them maps with easy flows won't make them improve.

a map can have a physically intuitive flow while being bad
and also can have a physically unintuitive flow while being good.

People should take the idea of flow here when they want to make a "comfortable flowing-meta" based map.
Nicely organized theory, but something meta-dependent I guess.
Topic Starter
-Mo-

Sonnyc wrote:

a map can have a physically intuitive flow while being bad
and also can have a physically unintuitive flow while being good.
I agree, although I'd have to say the majority of good maps lean towards having mostly an intuitive flow throughout.

I understand how someone would just look at these videos and just go with the intuitive and nothing else to make something kind of bland. It'll be something I'll have to address at some point I suppose.
deemoplayer47
Flow, as I hypothesize, is the intuitiveness of game play, based on sets of patterns and the order in which they appear in a map such that one pattern's conditioning "flows" seamlessly into another. Good flow, therefore, is achieved through consideration of aspects from which patterns arise (aim speed, angle of redirection of cursor movement, location relative to the screen/other notes in the grid/timeline, etc) and the patterns most playable or recognizable to the target audience (or in osu! context, target playerbase) to create patterns that "flow" into each other.

For reference, think about concert pianists playing songs which they create at the same time as they play (improvisation). They use patterns (in terms of chords/chord progressions/durations/etc) on-the-go that simply "flow" into each other. The same is applied in songwriting; beatmapping should be no different.
-Dragolord-
I have a question for mapping. It's possible to copy and paste a pattern for create compilation (jumps, streams, and other) ?
lewski
Yes, you can copy and paste objects in the editor

also can you not necropost thanks
-Dragolord-

lewski wrote:

Yes, you can copy and paste objects in the editor

also can you not necropost thanks

so what keys to press because I do not know the editor by heart
lewski
ctrl+c and ctrl+v like literally everywhere else
-Dragolord-
Even from one map to another is possible because i want to create jumps pack and i'm lazy to recreate it myself