forum

Getting better

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Neucci
Profile: https://osu.ppy.sh/u/8257053

I know it's still early for me, but for me having fun is taking on challenges. I've been playing for 3 months. Right now I'm on 3 stars and 4 stars, hard and insane maps. For 3 stars I'm currently practicing with HD and HR. For 4 star I'm just practicing with HD. I use a mouse and keyboard.

I wanted to ask whats the best way to feel more comfortable. As of right now, when I play I always get the urge of failing and start shaking. I also wanted to know what some other people are doing to get better and how they play Osu!

Thanks for leaving suggestions and/or pointers/tips.
Endaris
Give in to your urge.
Fail.
Cry.
Be sad.
And then realise that you're playing maps that are too hard for you. You have mainly B-ranks in your top plays. B is short for Bad. C is short for Crap. A is short for Acceptable. S is Sweet.
Stop flailing your cursor on Insane-difficulties while intensively mashing your keyboard with no regards for music, rhythm and accuracy.
There is a time to flail your cursor and mash in order to have fun. But it is not how you get good in osu!. Also keep your hands away from HR.
Try to play this map:
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/118566
The song is slow, relaxing and it is well mapped. You will have a very hard time with it because flailing and mashing doesn't help here.
Don't give up. Play more. Don't retry too often. Play many different maps, they all offer their specific challenges. Try to get no ranks worse than B at all. Forget about your C and D ranks until you got a lot better and then replay them. Play more. Enjoy the music. Click the circles. To the beat.
StephOsu

Endaris wrote:

Give in to your urge.
Fail.
Cry.
Be sad.
And then realise that you're playing maps that are too hard for you. You have mainly B-ranks in your top plays. B is short for Bad. C is short for Crap. A is short for Acceptable. S is Sweet.
Also keep your hands away from HR.
basically this
A basic rule of thumb of people that's trying to improve is that don't play HR and DT until you can at least comfortably and consistently FC 4.5+* nomod for DT and 5.0+*nomod for HR
they develop bad habit like "OMG AR10 IS DA BESTEST WH OEVEN NEED AR9 WHEN YOU CAN SLAP HR OR DT ON EVERYTHING HURP DURP" or cause you to play whack-a-mole instead of osu!standard
btw endaris what does D stands for? c:
Topic Starter
Neucci

Endaris wrote:

Give in to your urge.
Fail.
Cry.
Be sad.
Stop flailing your cursor on Insane-difficulties while intensively mashing your keyboard with no regards for music, rhythm and accuracy.
There is a time to flail your cursor and mash in order to have fun. But it is not how you get good in osu!. Also keep your hands away from HR.
Try to play this map:
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/118566
The song is slow, relaxing and it is well mapped. You will have a very hard time with it because flailing and mashing doesn't help here.
Don't give up. Play more. Don't retry too often. Play many different maps, they all offer their specific challenges. Try to get no ranks worse than B at all. Forget about your C and D ranks until you got a lot better and then replay them. Play more. Enjoy the music. Click the circles. To the beat.
What other maps would you recommend and what star/difficulty should I play? And you were right, I had a bad time. What are some other ways to stop flailing around and mash at the right time? Thanks for the help.
Topic Starter
Neucci

StephOsu wrote:

A basic rule of thumb of people that's trying to improve is that don't play HR and DT until you can at least comfortably and consistently FC 4.5+* nomod for DT and 5.0+*nomod for HR
they develop bad habit like "OMG AR10 IS DA BESTEST WH OEVEN NEED AR9 WHEN YOU CAN SLAP HR OR DT ON EVERYTHING HURP DURP" or cause you to play whack-a-mole instead of osu!standard
I'll stay away from HR and I don't like playing DT so I don't think I'm going to use it much. Thank you for the help.
timemon

Endaris wrote:

B is short for Bad. C is short for Crap. A is short for Acceptable. S is Sweet.
A is short for chokes and S is short for sliderbreaks.
Yuudachi-kun
S is shit
A is ass
B is bad
C is crap
D is dick
Aktsumi

Khelly wrote:

S is shit
A is ass
B is bad
C is crap
D is dick
you forgot SS :1
StephOsu

Aktsumi wrote:

you forgot SS :1
Super Shit
Rosten
Decent rules of thumb:

1 - Play songs you get A's on, then turn those A's to S's, and move on.

2 - Don't fall into the trap of playing stare at the hit-circles instead of a rhythm game, everyone should be able to play AR7 at least.

3 - Don't play songs you're flailing around. You KNOW when you're flailing and just mashing. It's one of the worst habits you can have and i'd suggest you not get into it.

4 - Download moar maps. More maps is never a bad thing

5 - Don't shy away from maps that are hard (Unless they're seriously out of your league, you know when you're mashing instead of rhythming, you don't need me to tell you what your limits are.) If need be, play lower difficulties of the same map and work your way up or watch auto (If you're having reading problems)

also

S: Super
A: A-Ok
B: Bad
C: Crap
D: Don't Use NoFail anymore
Sayorie

Neucci wrote:

StephOsu wrote:

I'll stay away from HR and I don't like playing DT so I don't think I'm going to use it much. Thank you for the help.
You don't actually have to completely heed on that. There's nothing wrong with playing HR and DT at any point, and even making scores off of it. The point is, overdoing it will ruin your progress because you will miss a lot of things you can learn from keeping on track with nomod.
Deva
People even started asking how to feel comfortable...Where is this world going...
timemon
tfw you turn S'es into A's.
Haiq_old
Good for you 8-)
Endaris
What other maps would you recommend and what star/difficulty should I play? And you were right, I had a bad time. What are some other ways to stop flailing around and mash at the right time? Thanks for the help.
Based on the plays I can see, 3.0*+ seems to make sense for you. With "+" I mean that 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 will also be good. But as already mentioned, there is more to playing osu! than just physical difficulty - and physical difficulty is the only thing star rating considers. Go in increments and don't suddenly jump from 3.3 to 4.0.
Right now I would recommend you playing about anything because there are only very few maps on lower star rating that feature a complexity such as the one I linked you.
Once you get better you can try playing some of the easier maps from this list:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... Q69ys/edit
Most of them are above 3.5* so you're probably not quite ready for most of them.
Looks like you FCd a 3* map with 97% today. Pretty sure that felt good ;) Keep going.
Xyrus_old_1

Neucci wrote:

What other maps would you recommend and what star/difficulty should I play?
3-3.5 should be fine. Try to find a few maps in this area that you can get 95+% acc on 1st try. Now play them 2 more times and try to FC. If you can't do it, ignore them and move on. Keep playing new maps, keep trying to FC. If you can't get 95% acc on any 3-3.5* maps, then go back down to 2.9*, 2.88, etc. until you can get 95% acc.

Neucci wrote:

What are some other ways to stop flailing around and mash at the right time?
Listen to the music and tap to the beat.

If you can't do that, turn on your hit error bar and watch a replay to see if you're coming in early or late. If you're coming in early, force yourself to come in later, if you're coming in late, try to come in earlier.