forum

[invalid] Ranking/qualifying your own maps

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Kyshiro
PLEASE READ THE FULL POST AND COMMENTS BEFORE REPLYING

I think with some effort and thinking, this could actually be a thing.
Since the ranking system currently is an absolute pain to go through without ''connections'', I think changes could be made, for example this.

I've given this some thought and came up with a few ideas which I'll list here to maybe make this idea sound more appealing.

For example being able to rank/qualify your own maps should be a privelege given to mappers that are known to have a good idea of how maps should be and have a lot of experience. The self qualified maps should of course have gotten a number of decent mods.
The BN/QAT (perhaps a new group) will check the maps after the mapper has decided it's ready and put it as qualified.
As for the newer mappers/less experienced mappers, the same idea applies, except instead of qualifying it themself, they would have to ask either BN/QAT or someone else who is able to qualify their own maps, to qualify theirs.
As motivation to make people mod, kudosu could play a role in this as well, for example consuming a certain amount of kudosu to qualify the map.
Perhaps there could also be a penalty system, that if you qualify something that's either unacceptable or unrankable, you eventually lose your privelege to do it yourself.

I honestly think this could work out and save a lot of time for the mappers trying to find BN's, and save a lot of time for BN's that don't have to mod every map they go through, and in general should be a much smoother and easier process.

I hope this will actually be considered and not just disregarded the moment the title has been read.

Leave ideas and stuff, I really hope this can be a thing.

Copy pasting additional ideas from posts below this
---------------------------------------------------------------
-Perhaps the idea of a map not getting past qualification before it has been checked by a certain amount of people could be a thing.
-A return of the point system can give some kind of structure to this idea without making it easily abusable.
-A cooldown between qualifying maps
Monstrata
Being able to nominate and qualify your own map (as a BN) would eliminate a lot of this circlejerking we see nowadays. Instead of BN's using up their hours checking other BN's maps, they can now spend more time checking other people's maps. Circlejerking will always exist of course, but this feature would be a good step towards not dissuading people from circlejerking, but rather, making that option unnecessary.
Sandy Hoey
I don't get involved in the mapping scene, but I don't think this would be a good idea. As just a normal player, new maps come out every single day like clockwork, so there isn't a problem with output. Also these mappers that are getting their maps qualified have do so through experience. The reason new mappers have a hard time getting maps qualified and even ranked is probably because there maps are actually bad, they just can't tell because of their lack of experience.

All it take is time. Keep putting in work. Kepping posting on the forums, asking people to play and help you improve your mapping skills. You will get to there level
Topic Starter
Kyshiro

Sandy Hoey wrote:

I don't get involved in the mapping scene, but I don't think this would be a good idea. As just a normal player, new maps come out every single day like clockwork, so there isn't a problem with output. Also these mappers that are getting their maps qualified have do so through experience. The reason new mappers have a hard time getting maps qualified and even ranked is probably because there maps are actually bad, they just can't tell because of their lack of experience.

All it take is time. Keep putting in work. Kepping posting on the forums, asking people to play and help you improve your mapping skills. You will get to there level
It's not just new mappers that can't get their maps ranked, it's everyone, I'm not a new mapper myself, at all lol.
You also mention you're not in the mapping scene at all so I don't think you know how the whole process goes
Sandy Hoey
Ah, in that case. How will me make sure that these mappers that have this privilage won't just start pumping out maps without taking the necessary time to perfect them. Should thee be a certain approval level that must be achieved in the qualified stage before they can rank it themselves? And what prevents them from completely skipping the qualified stage alltogether
Topic Starter
Kyshiro

Sandy Hoey wrote:

Ah, in that case. How will me make sure that these mappers that have this privilage won't just start pumping out maps without taking the necessary time to perfect them. Should thee be a certain approval level that must be achieved in the qualified stage before they can rank it themselves? And what prevents them from completely skipping the qualified stage alltogether
Like i mentioned in the OP, maps should have gotten an amount of decent mods before doing this, and of course by abusing this system there would be penalties. And what keeps them from skipping the qualified stage is that maps go into the qualified section for 7 days either way before it gets ranked.
Seijiro
seriously?
Topic Starter
Kyshiro

MrSergio wrote:

seriously?
Yes seriously, please no sarcastic comments on this, it's a serious question/suggestion and I want it to be considered, this could easily work out if done properly
Shiirn
hahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhaha
hhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhah
ahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahah
hahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhaha
hhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhah
ahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahah

what the fuck

are you fucking retarded

the entire point of icons is to make sure you don't fuck the fuck up

skipping the process of having two people make sure you don't fuck the fuck up and having one person check just means that you've given yet another entire chance for fuckups to happen

even for experienced mappers fuckups happen and having 2-3 people who check for it is healthy for the game
Topic Starter
Kyshiro

Shiirn wrote:

hahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahah

what the fuck

are you fucking retarded

skipping the process of having two people make sure you don't fuck the fuck up and having one person check just means that you've given yet another entire chance for fuckups to happen

even for experienced mappers fuckups happen and having 2-3 people who check for it is healthy for the game
What is your fucking problem? I seriously do not appreciate your comment at ALL. I supposed you did not read the full post so let me write it again, the map should have a number of DECENT mods before the person can qualify their map AND it WILL BE CHECKED while in the qualified section by said BN's. Thank you.
WORSTPOLACKEU
Yes.
Definitely.

I can't stress the fact enough that I see the same names in the qualified/ranked section all the time meanwhile I struggle to even get a BN looking at my maps.
Even Kyshiro who is a really good and solid mapper has to wait months for his map which is clearly already modded to death and polished..

What is the point of trying if most of the names I see in qual/ranked section are the same and the new ones almost never reappear because they got that one map ranked after 6 months.

I have personally been told by respected mappers (Kyshiro, Chaoslitz, Irreversible among others) that my maps are fine for ranking and I just need to find BN.
That is true, but finding that BN almost always ends with "I don't accept BN requests atm" or no time, but if that is the case, why can I see the SAME people looking over the popular maps and modding those maps? Why would a popular mapper need 10 BN's to check the maps quality in 1 week and other peoples map deserves 1 BN in 6 months?
It is really annoying and frankly makes me angry everytime I ask for a BN check, get "no time" answer but they go and MOD Notch Hell or a <insertpopularmapperhere> tv size / hype map.
That is just not how it should be.

This could be a solution, BN's having time to check others maps instead of actually trying to find BN's for themselves because now it's a big circlejerk.

And yes, I got some BN's faster than before. Why ? Because I got connections since then, that is the only reason, nothing else changed.

Yes please. This is a great idea. Another one could be assigning maps to certain BN's or something and they'd have a week or so to respond?
Yes BN's are people but if you apply to be a BN then you should do what you applied for, not entering the circlejerk.
My 2 cents.
Sandy Hoey
That goes with the first part of my comment. It isn't like the average player isn't getting a good amount of new maps. There is no need to increase the amount of new ranked map. But I think this request is aimed at making mapping more inviting for newer mappers because otherwise they would just be overlooked in favor of these big names. Being overlooked is never a good feeling and will prush a lot of people away from mapping.
WORSTPOLACKEU

Shiirn wrote:

ahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahah
ahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahah

what the fuck

are you fucking retarded

Shiirn, you just described the problem called circlejerk. 2 - 3 people who check same maps and icon/mod for each other.
Topic Starter
Kyshiro

Sandy Hoey wrote:

That goes with the first part of my comment. It isn't like the average player isn't getting a good amount of new maps. There is no need to increase the amount of new ranked map. But I think this request is aimed at making mapping more inviting for newer mappers because otherwise they would just be overlooked in favor of these big names. Being overlooked is never a good feeling and will prush a lot of people away from mapping.
You got the complete wrong idea here, it's for everyone, not just for the new mappers, and yes of course there are enough new maps, but also a LOT of REALLY GOOD maps that are simply not getting attention because everyone is busy or whatever, this is not a post just because I'm salty or whatever, it's meant to be a serious suggestion.
Shiirn
reducing the number of people who officially check a map from 2-3 to 1-2 will not "lower the circlejerk rate" or anything like that.

it'll just make it require even less effort for mappers who just want to rank their maps they think are fine. Yolo icons will still exist, but they could potentially be yoloing straight to qualification.

I'm sure everyone feels confident about their own capabilities and to an extent I believe I myself can make sure my map is of ranking quality before going to BNs.

But that doesn't mean I want to sneakily try to skip steps that ensure that I don't majorly fuck the fuck up.
Seijiro
being sarcastic or not, I doubt anyone would ever be able to be objective regarding their own results.
It's like being at school and giving out a test for yourself and later on giving yourself a mark: "well, I was close to this answer so let's put it among the correct ones." "Wait, I mispelled this, but I knew it".

I'm of the idea that the most trustworthy person is the one that doubts you, therefore checks by someone that actually tries to find errors in your map are far more accurate than the one that created it (without counting the fact it is always nice to improve your pattern repertory with new stuff you wouldn't think of otherwise).

That's my reasoning tho and I understand why you'd ask for that, but I'm not really up for it tbh.

EDIT: Shiirn, please
WORSTPOLACKEU

Shiirn wrote:

reducing the number of people who officially check a map from 2-3 to 1-2 will not "lower the circlejerk rate" or anything like that.

it'll just make it require even less effort for mappers who just want to rank their maps they think are fine. Yolo icons will still exist, but they could potentially be yoloing straight to qualification.

I'm sure everyone feels confident about their own capabilities and to an extent I believe I myself can make sure my map is of ranking quality before going to BNs.

But that doesn't mean I want to sneakily try to skip steps that ensure that I don't majorly fuck the fuck up.
Because people actually check your maps, they are controversial and anything out of the normal makes people check it naturally.
Me or other less experienced mappers. Dude you have no clue how annoying it is to ask a BN to check my map, get no for an answer because "no time" then find same dude modding and iconing 2 sets of another mapper I don't want to mention here.
I don't know, do I befriend every BN and circlejerk and meme with them for the sake of getting mods and BN's checking my map?
Annoying, that's what I can say.
Sandy Hoey
If the problem is with BN, maybe instead of trying to find a wasy to get around them. Maybe we should find a way to fix the "corruption" of the system.
Endaris
Selfqualification does not really make sense.
When I have the impression that my map is good enough for ranking I will push it to Pending.
Then people will hopefully mod it and purge it from the mistakes I made. And there's basically the clue:
As a mapper I can't selfmod my map to the degree of perfect rankability because I spent too much time on it.
A final checkup through other experienced mappers BNs is absolutely vital to ensure that maps have the best possible quality.
Why not experienced mappers? Because they don't have a responsibility compared to BNs.

I don't think the idea is entirely stupid but I think the farthest this idea can go is that an experienced mapper can somehow get the privilege to bubble his own map. This privilege should only exist one time per set so that the mapper has an incentive to make sure that ERRYTHING IS ABSOLUTELY PURRRFECT because if he fucks up and the bubble is popped/the map is DQd over stupid shit he has to find 2 BNs instead of one (or 3 instead of two in case of approval).
Would be most sensible to give that privilege to BNG/QAT and maybe 1337mappers as having many maps ranked isn't necessarily a sign that you're capable of thoroughly checking for each and any possible mistake that could happen.
Topic Starter
Kyshiro

Sandy Hoey wrote:

If the problem is with BN, maybe instead of trying to find a wasy to get around them. Maybe we should find a way to fix the "corruption" of the system.
just stop...

MrSergio wrote:

being sarcastic or not, I doubt anyone would ever be able to be objective regarding their own results.
It's like being at school and giving out a test for yourself and later on giving yourself a mark: "well, I was close to this answer so let's put it among the correct ones." "Wait, I mispelled this, but I knew it".

I'm of the idea that the most trustworthy person is the one that doubts you, therefore checks by someone that actually tries to find errors in your map are far more accurate than the one that created it (without counting the fact it is always nice to improve your pattern repertory with new stuff you shouldn't think of otherwise).

That's my reasoning tho and I understand why you'd ask for that, but I'm not really up for it tbh.

EDIT: Shiirn, please
Just qualifying your map with that attitude means there's bound to be errors, which means that the people who check the said self qualified maps will take it and and the person will eventually have his privelege taken away if it's being abused, but an opinion is an opinion and it's valid I suppose

Endaris wrote:

Selfqualification does not really make sense.
When I have the impression that my map is good enough for ranking I will push it to Pending.
Then people will hopefully mod it and purge it from the mistakes I made. And there's basically the clue:
As a mapper I can't selfmod my map to the degree of perfect rankability because I spent too much time on it.
A final checkup through other experienced mappers BNs is absolutely vital to ensure that maps have the best possible quality.
Why not experienced mappers? Because they don't have a responsibility compared to BNs.

I don't think the idea is entirely stupid but I think the farthest this idea can go is that an experienced mapper can somehow get the privilege to bubble his own map. This privilege should only exist one time per set so that the mapper has an incentive to make sure that ERRYTHING IS ABSOLUTELY PURRRFECT because if he fucks up and the bubble is popped/the map is DQd over stupid shit he has to find 2 BNs instead of one (or 3 instead of two in case of approval).
Would be most sensible to give that privilege to BNG/QAT and maybe 1337mappers as having many maps ranked isn't necessarily a sign that you're capable of thoroughly checking for each and any possible mistake that could happen.
The BN will still be a part of it and check the maps once qualified, the less good mappers will not have the privelege as stated in the OP, of course it would need a lot of tweaking and thinking, and I agree that BN's are vital to ensure quality, which is why they're still a part of it
show more