forum

No Storyboard mod for very laggy computers. [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Yuzeyun
I request this mod, because I have some trouble with storyboards. While playing Taiko, the storyboard lags the notes, and I find difficult to read them properly. It can even go to a graphical freeze, without any possibility but reboot by the shutdown button.

Actually, with the separated .osb, I don't have any problem (I saved some of them in another folder) but in SB integrated in a .osu file, it is a big problem. (And looking in my ... 1688 folders will be tiring, imo)

If anyone understand what I mean~
Cyclohexane
We've already said no to this feature.

A couple of times.
So, meh, sorry but no.
Luneko

Mr Color wrote:

We've already said no to this feature.

A couple of times.
So, meh, sorry but no.
but you can just delete the storyboard images
Verdisphena
or make a download without sb, maybe add that
James2250
There have been several large threads on this topic and the final result has always been storyboards are part of a map and it is not fair to get rid of them. (If you check around you will find several denied topics of this)

For now you can simply delete them from the folder but once .osz2 comes out you are going to have to get used to them
Beuchi

KillerRind wrote:

but you can just delete the storyboard images
This won't be possible with osz2, and I feel we're pretty near to see it work finally so... you shouldn't encourage to do this xP
Henkie

James2250 wrote:

For now you can simply delete them from the folder but once .osz2 comes out you are going to have to get used to them
Well that sucks, my laptop won't be able to handle osz2 then, hooray.
Henkie
By the way, what am I supporting for again?
eddieee
why is this osz2 being implemented, i am sure lots of players dont like it... you should give people the freedom to play the game how they want... with or without SB, BG or video... this is just bad...

Edit: i agree with henkie, this is not a change that i support... why the hell am i donating?
James2250

eddieee wrote:

why is this osz2 being implemented, i am sure lots of players dont like it... you should give people the freedom to play the game how they want... with or without SB, BG or video... this is just bad...

Edit: i agree with henkie, this is not a change that i support... why the hell am i donating?
.osz2 is being implemented to make the file submission system work 100 times better, the storyboard part is only a very minor element on it.

Only about 1% (if that) of maps have large storyboards that could cause any lag on old computers. People work very hard to create those storyboards and we are working to make the lag from them as small as possible. If you don't want to donate because you can't play those few maps then that's your choice~
eddieee

James2250 wrote:

eddieee wrote:

.osz2 is being implemented to make the file submission system work 100 times better, the storyboard part is only a very minor element on it.

Only about 1% (if that) of maps have large storyboards that could cause any lag on old computers. People work very hard to create those storyboards and we are working to make the lag from them as small as possible. If you don't want to donate because you can't play those few maps then that's your choice~
you'r missing the point, I dont want to play with bg and or storyboard. why would you force that upon players?
i am not talking about lag, when i play a map i want to see what's happening...
dvorak_old
you have many option

1. Don't play any SB'd or Skin'ed map.(you don't need to play song created for-not-low-spec-comp)

2. Oh you can put song rate , 1 - 10 ?
If you feel map is unplayable, just put rate as you think :P

GladiOol
I honestly it's not the lag which bothers the players, it's usually the sb's which just makes playing impossible.
Random flashes, background pulsing like crazy, these storyboards.

Players will be forced to play with these SB effects even if they don't want it.
Also, people who can't handle lots of flashes are kinda fucked now aren't they?

dvorak wrote:

2. Oh you can put song rate , 1 - 10 ?
If you feel map is unplayable, just put rate as you think :P
Yes this will so help! Rate for the SB effects and not the map!
Henkie

James2250 wrote:

It's the mapper's choice to storyboard, the players are not asking for that.
You want to FORCE bad playing possiblities for the players.
It's the same as FORCING mappers to or not to storyboard.
Some like it, some don't, goes for both playing with storyboard and storyboarding itself.
James2250
All this has been said before and I am sure it will be said again (I don't entirely disagree with you)

However peppy said no, which means that's the end of the convo.
GladiOol

James2250 wrote:

All this has been said before and I am sure it will be said again (I don't entirely disagree with you)

However peppy said no, which means that's the end of the convo.
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/23667

Play it~ see how you like the flashes and background pulsing in your face.
I get headache to the max, had to delete to play it propperly.

Is it then a BAT fault to rank this? or.. I need to get medication just to play osu! D:
peppy
Wow. The conversation got this far an no-one has even asked "which map?". I am disappointed.

Which map is causing the slow-downs you explain?
Luna
I know it has already been decided but still - this would be really awesome for several reasons.
First and foremost, people with epileptical problems. We already have warnings for them, why don't give them the chance to play the map anyway? A simple mod like that would definitely create a much better game experience for people with such sicknesses.
Also, the lag problem is very real, at least on my PC x.x
It's not about respecting or disrespecting the works of the mappers, but just about playability for people like me.
Some examples: I can't even FC Baby difficulty of Strange Program with SB.
When playing No, thank you (Full ver.) [ignore's Hard] with No Fail and storyboard, I get an accuracy of ~40% when I can easily get an A or S rank without SB. I'd rather not delete the SB since it looks awesome (I actually keep all the files in a seperate folder so I can re-insert them when watching replays etc) but I am practically forced to.
And serious lag comes even from your average pulsating background SB like 99% of Nightcore maps have ;_; (Yes, that is with FPS limiter and Low-End PC settings etc)
While my example may be pretty extreme (yes, I should get a better PC), there are definitely others with similar problems (seeing as many people have requested this feature) and especially all the people with epilepsy. Also, it can be quite disorienting and osu! should not be about trying to click circles while hundreds of flashes blind you.
It just makes sense to implement something like this IMO.

But oh well, I don't think it will happen =/
peppy
Firstly, keep strangeprogram out of these discussions. It is a horribly made storyboard that has not been optimised. For any others that cause lag, please, PLEASE report it in the beatmap's thread (especially for not-yet-ranked maps) so it can be fixed. A well-made storyboard should never cause performance problems.

Out of curiosity, what resolution do you play at, and what graphics card are you using?
Luna
1024x768
NVIDIA GeForce 7050 / NVIDIA nForce 620i
peppy
That card supports 850gigapixels/texels per second. To maintain 60fps, this is 14.1m pixels per frame, or 18x overdraw. Assuming you are getting lag with this card, I would definitely recommend updating your graphics drivers, making sure nothing else is running on your PC, and possibly trying full-screen mode to see if it helps.
dNextGen

eddieee wrote:

yea

i hope the mappers are understand not to add seizure effects on their map if the osz2 is coming out
Lunah_old
Why force players to play with a skin or with annoying storyboard or BG .. (?)

this is the problem.

Storyboards like this : http://osu.ppy.sh/s/5774 or http://osu.ppy.sh/s/12713 .. well for me are not playable...

and a guy that is epileptic can't play those kind of maps because he/she can't delete storyboard files.

osz2 needs NO Storyboard download button, and NO Skin, i think almost all players use custom skin, and force to play with a skin will just make the game harder
peppy
You are complaining about something that isn't set in stone OR implemented yet. How about you find something productive to do with your time instead?