forum

Old usernames and "one time" players

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Confused
So I have a question about alot of the old players of osu who no longer play the game or played the game once and never again, like the ones who have not been active for around a 1+ year(s)

Ive been trying to get my friend into playing osu for a long time and he would play on my account at my house some times and i would show him what to do and how to pass stuff and all that so when he went to go make and account of his own one day he went for the user name "Confused" and it said it was taken so we looked it up and it was by a person named "conFuSeD" (http://puu.sh/pSVT1/ac8847e3da.jpg) and he wanted that name in the end even after i went into the act of trying to make him pick a different name And over the past few weeks ive been thinking about it and went back to the profile and saw this Old player only had 9 minutes on record and played 3 years ago which i think would make him a "one time player" in my eyes

So i went off to the name change area of the osu store and I had one free name change so i typed in "confused" and it said i could change my name to that which had me very very "confused" (bad puns) http://puu.sh/pSWp1/a079dad6a6.jpg

So my question is why can we change our names with the name change to these old players names but the new players picking a name can not choose their name to be that old players name that is taking up space? I think that at some point all the kind of Valid or not really stupid names would be taken up by old players that not longer play any more and people would have to start paying for their name changes to something usable and not something stupid since they cant use a free name change (from what i know so far) unless they have had supporter before.

This is my first forum I've created so I dont know if i should have put it here or in the "help" forum so if its in the wrong place im sorry! and I'll move it to the correct forum.

(I have no idea if i saved it or posted this before so if this is a double post ill delete it)
Xyrus_old_1
My name was taken by some Russian guy who played once, so I signed up as "Xyrusd0t0". After a while, I tried changing my name and now I'm Xyrus. Your friend will be able to change his name eventually (and the 1st name change is free).
Topic Starter
Confused

Xyrus wrote:

My name was taken by some Russian guy who played once, so I signed up as "Xyrusd0t0". After a while, I tried changing my name and now I'm Xyrus. Your friend will be able to change his name eventually (and the 1st name change is free).

But that would make the new players use up the one free name change they have just to get something that is never used any more, so why not just be able to pick it in the first place? And most of the starting out players wouldn't know about the one free name change I would guess also.
Endaris
Idk, technically the name should be free as names can be taken away after 6 months + 1 year per 500 playcount across all gamemodes.
Not being able to select the name in the first place might very well be an unintended bug that I'd try to report on the Help-forum as it does not really make sense to have old names only being accessible through osu!supporter or buying a namechange.
You can refer to this wiki-entry for the duration of the name protection: https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Name_change#Am_ ... sername.3F