forum

Finding it harder and harder to play this game.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Darky_Alan
I'm probably just going to whine and moan bellow because I guess I'd like some input to maybe get motivated to play again. So read at your own discretion and try not be rude.

I love this game and hold it in really high esteem, I adore rhythm games and have always been a junkie for them. But I feel my prime was ~2-3 years ago where I hit a wall I've never been able to overcome and my motivation to play this game is just through the floor. I know the simple and sweet answer is to keep practicing and I'll get better, but it that just feels like it won't do. I can READ notes no problem I can totally tell where I'm supposed to be going but my arm won't follow through (Mouse & keyboard), or my arm gets extremely tired from flexing. 4 star songs is as far as I've ever been able to play anything higher is literally impossible for me, and it causes me infinite dread because those songs LOOK SO FUN and here I am doing 3-4 star songs thinking "Damn this is really boring and slow". I don't feel challenged at all by 3 star songs and four star songs feel like they could be better; I usually end up having a lot of fun trying 5 star but I lose every single time and it gets to a point where I'm frustrated enough to rage quit.

Sorry for the long winded post, I'm not even sure if this is the proper forum for this but I needed to blow off some steam, genuinely frustrated and disgruntled, so I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place for it.
Endaris
Specify "my arm won't follow through"
I hold the belief that anyone can get to FCing 4.5* maps without ever putting major strain on your hands.

/edit: Your historical graph is a joke. Are you even playing the game?
Topic Starter
Darky_Alan

Endaris wrote:

Specify "my arm won't follow through"
I hold the belief that anyone can get to FCing 4.5* maps without ever putting major strain on your hands.

/edit: Your historical graph is a joke. Are you even playing the game?
I took a seriously long break fromt he game because again, I was frustrated, I'd love to give the game a try again and get back into it but after playing for a bit I'm starting to feel unmotivated again hence why my historical graph is awful.

The area round my bicep becomes stiff whenever I play, my muscles just tend to flex when I get really concentrated and my arm gets tired to the point where I can't really keep up when making rapid movements like jumps.
Endaris
Okay, so first thing is, you aren't playing enough.
Your peakplaycount per month was 500. I don't know your retry-behaviour (retries can count towards your playcount depending on when you retried) but effectively it will be even less. So let's say at your most active time you were playing 10 maps per day. That's like expecting to get good at playing an instrument when practicing 3 hours per month.
You have to play more to improve. People in this subforum can't stress this enough.

Regarding your tension-problem: Tension of that degree is always a sign of incompetence. An experienced smith will hammer his piece of iron with well-dosed power and achieve the desired effect. You are just hammering on the iron with full force and it's getting ugly. What you want to learn for a chilled gameplay experience is control.
Lower your expectations and try to actually start and enjoying the game. Sure, a bit of tension is not bad but you are most likely playing beyond your capabilities and your body is trying to compensate instinctively. You got no control.
To control yourself you should reduce the difficulty and start playing more. Focus on keeping your arms and body relaxed. If you miss something that you couldve got with tensing it doesn't matter, you want to learn control. Control doesn't vanish once acquired. Try to be efficient with your movements.
Topic Starter
Darky_Alan

Endaris wrote:

Okay, so first thing is, you aren't playing enough.
Your peakplaycount per month was 500. I don't know your retry-behaviour (retries can count towards your playcount depending on when you retried) but effectively it will be even less. So let's say at your most active time you were playing 10 maps per day. That's like expecting to get good at playing an instrument when practicing 3 hours per month.
You have to play more to improve. People in this subforum can't stress this enough.
A lot of those plays ARE retries, yes. Hence me expressing frustration. A lot of the time I'll play a map that seems and or feels like a lot of fun only to play and I'll do amazingly for some of the portions of the song, I tend to have pretty alright accuracy, but then as mentioned my arm just gives out sometime down the line if the song is too long. I can only perform complex jumps or patterns so often in succession and after a significant amount of retrying I just get mad and stop.

Endaris wrote:

Regarding your tension-problem: Tension of that degree is always a sign of incompetence. An experienced smith will hammer his piece of iron with well-dosed power and achieve the desired effect. You are just hammering on the iron with full force and it's getting ugly. What you want to learn for a chilled gameplay experience is control.
Lower your expectations and try to actually start and enjoying the game. Sure, a bit of tension is not bad but you are most likely playing beyond your capabilities and your body is trying to compensate instinctively. You got no control.
To control yourself you should reduce the difficulty and start playing more. Focus on keeping your arms and body relaxed. If you miss something that you couldve got with tensing it doesn't matter, you want to learn control. Control doesn't vanish once acquired. Try to be efficient with your movements.
I think I just need to learn to relax my arm. It only tenses when something complicated happens, problem is that after that complicated thing happens it stays tense. I completely understand where you are coming from I just wonder how I can power through it because I can handle three stars just fine. they feel really sluggish and I usually either Ace (I have a curse where I always miss ONCE SOMEWHERE) or get an S with a broken combo (Damn curses). 4 stars seems to be the difficulty I'm locked into where I can have some decent fun with the game but it feels inconsistent. some 4 stars are totally fun and challenging while completely doable by me, some are literally impossible. Would be wonderful if I could find a balance between fun and challenging to get good and enjoyable practice in.

I think you're right about my expectations I hammer myself too hard on that. I remember being around rank 50k at some point it's hilariously depressing to see my rank be like 5 mil now, albeit it's understanable because I haven't played in a really long time.

Thank you so much for your time though in reading and giving me feedback on my ridiculously long winded whining.
Barusamikosu

Darky_Alan wrote:

I think I just need to learn to relax my arm. It only tenses when something complicated happens, problem is that after that complicated thing happens it stays tense. I completely understand where you are coming from I just wonder how I can power through it because I can handle three stars just fine.
Both arms have a (bad) habit of tensing up while I play. Actively focusing on releasing tension during gameplay doesn't take away as much focus as you might think and it actually makes things easier because less tension = less stress and more focus.
Yuudachi-kun
I find tensing to be good and not bad but thats just me and the types of things I played
Barusamikosu
Ye some people play better like that but it's hurting OP and I know it hurts me during gameplay too.

The only time I allow tension is when practicing (relatively) fast streams xd
E m i
I try to be tense in a controlled way, constantly to the same degree. I get better results maintaining that than relaxing.
StephOsu

Khelly wrote:

I find tensing to be good and not bad but thats just me and the types of things I played

Momiji wrote:

I try to be tense in a controlled way, constantly to the same degree. I get better results maintaining that than relaxing.
i guess im the same type of people c:
but tbh OP isn't even playing the game
60 total gaming hour throughout 4 years
it's not even playing 3 hours a month
it's 3 hours every 2 month
Ninonuko
Don't expect anything while playing, you'll only feel bad if you don't get and you'll quit faster.
Just play, you're improving as long as you keep playing, just believe.
-Makishima S-
Play unranked maps.
Joukai Zachelon
Try playing Multi, that will get you new maps which you'll surely need beause retrying the same song over and over doesn't works, keep yourself motivated and advance through 4.25, 4.50, 4.75 etc... Don't forget you're here for the fun hard songs, that should be your motivation!