forum

Question to left handed tablet players.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Waryas
I've been playing for almost 5 months now with mouse in right hand and my left hand keyboard C/V'ing
I recently got a tablet from my friend (today) and I noticed i'm totally fucked because I'm left handed for writing/holding a pen and I can't even do triplets with my right hand (let alone stream anything faster than 140 1/4).
Anyone experienced this ? What did you do? Practice keyboard with your other hand, become ambidextrous, ... ?
Lybydose
Wait, huh? You used a mouse in your right hand, but are left handed?

Most right-handed people who use a mouse or tablet hold it in their right hand, and hit Z/X or whatever with their left. You aren't really at a disadvantage as a left-handed person, because EVERYONE uses their off-hand for keyboard buttons.

Also, 3 rapid notes is not a triplet. Triplets refer to note divisions of 3 (1/3 snap in the editor), and I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant.
Mismagius
Well, I do the left click with the tablet pen and right click using 2 on NumPad. Works fine for me.

And yeah, I'm a left-handed tablet player. :c
Topic Starter
Waryas

Lybydose wrote:

Wait, huh? You used a mouse in your right hand, but are left handed?
A lot of left handed players use mouse with their right hand, no idea why. But i know at least 5 people on osu who are left handed and yet use their mouse with their right hand.
Well, I do the left click with the tablet pen and right click using 2 on NumPad. Works fine for me.
I'm trying tap/5 but it's really hard to time well and it's too fast lol.
Hiyorin
If you're already practiced with mouse, why the urge to tablet? Especially in your case it seems like a big hassle to switch
Lybydose
If you're capable in using a mouse in your off-hand, why aren't you able to use that hand for other purposes? I imagine if I used a mouse in my left hand for long enough I'd eventually be able to write with it too.
Topic Starter
Waryas
been using a mouse with my non dominant hand for almost 10 years now and i still can't hold a pen with it. :(
I guess i'll just learn how to use keyboard with my other hand D:
If you're already practiced with mouse, why the urge to tablet? Especially in your case it seems like a big hassle to switch
I want to try something new if i can't reach my mouse level by the end of the month i'll probably switch back.
Hiyorin

JesusYamato wrote:

been using a mouse with my non dominant hand for almost 10 years now and i still can't hold a pen with it. :(
I guess i'll just learn how to use keyboard with my other hand D:
I want to try something new if i can't reach my mouse level by the end of the month i'll probably switch back.
Oh I see.
ot: So your problem is you can't c/v(I use zx) with your right hand? Hmm thats odd, even though I'm not ambidextrous whatsoever, I can perfectly zx with both hands. That might be because I went from mouse-only to zx/mouse only whenever, maybe you should try mouse only for a few songs see if it would help with cv?
xsrsbsns

JesusYamato wrote:

I can't even do triplets with my right hand (let alone stream anything faster than 140 1/4).
I'm right handed (left hand z/x)... and I can't even do z/x with my right hand smoothly/accurately.
So it's probably because we're too used to using the left hand for z/x.
pieguyn
Oh good lord, this happened to me once. I found I actually did better holding the pen with my right hand.

Then again I don't use the tablet for osu! that often...
Wishy
It'll take you some time but you'll get used to, same thing happened to a friend, wasn't easy to get used to those changes but it happened, eventually.
happy30
I got used to it pretty fast, but I also play taiko ><
Topic Starter
Waryas
Yea after a few hours of playing I got already some rhythm in my right hand, it's still awkward to alternate fingers but i think I just need more practice.
Still sucks that I picked mouse with my wrong hand ;_;
Metro
I use my right hand for the mouse and my left hand for writing so I did the exact same switch as you. I didn't feel any problems with streaming with my right hand at all... I used to play PC PIU so both my hands are used to streaming :P. But...

Lybydose wrote:

If you're capable in using a mouse in your off-hand, why aren't you able to use that hand for other purposes? I imagine if I used a mouse in my left hand for long enough I'd eventually be able to write with it too.
This. You're probably just not used to it yet. Give it some time.
Zetta
Practice, yama-sama.

It is a long and arduous road, you must have the courage to progress further, young one.
Nactra
personnal experience during 2008-2009 when i used to play with tablet.
i'm left handed and placed my tablet on my left to play with my natural hand.
main issues were reaching the corners and making large full circles.
i stuck my hand on the bottom-mid of the tablet and only rotated wirst to reach beats.
this was pretty effective, altough it prohibited streaming. i would reconsider playing with tablet if you don't wish to play with z/x at the same time.
I spinned clockwise/small circles with these settings.
don't hesitate to tweak in game sensivity even if it screws up the absolute movement. i felt more comfortable at 1.8personally. You'll get used to new relations between tablet and screen areas by practicing.

this is a pretty unusual way to play,i don't know if i would recommend it but you should give it a shot.
if that is of any interest for you,my tablet was a Wacom Bamboo fun A5.

as for 2009-2010, i played with mouse (with my right hand-seriously, this shouldn't be a problem. if you take a mouse that isn't heavy you should be able to move accurately with your unnatural hand.)
Wishy
If you play with pen mode you can't change you sens in-game, it just depends on the area you use on both your tablet and screen.
Topic Starter
Waryas

Metro wrote:

I use my right hand for the mouse and my left hand for writing so I did the exact same switch as you. I didn't feel any problems with streaming with my right hand at all... I used to play PC PIU so both my hands are used to streaming :P. But...

Lybydose wrote:

This. You're probably just not used to it yet. Give it some time.
Good to know I'm not alone :p
I never used my right hand for anything else than moving mouse that's probably why I'm having trouble.
Vish024

Lybydose wrote:

Not as easy as that. Left-handed people are FORCED to use the mouse with their right hand and become accustomed to it. It's not as computers all over the world are set-up with mouses on both sides for the convenience of the player's dexterity. Writing is far harder than moving a mouse about and clicking.

@JesusYamato: Just switch the keyboard settings around, have a substitute for z/x towards the right side of the keyboard and play with the tablet using your left hand.
Topic Starter
Waryas
Not as easy as that. Left-handed people are FORCED to use the mouse with their right hand and become accustomed to it. It's not as computers all over the world are set-up with mouses on both sides for the convenience of the player's dexterity. Writing is far harder than moving a mouse about and clicking.
We're not forced to but if we started using computers at others place or used our parents computer when we were younger the mouse is 95% of the case set up for right handed users so we got used to that.
Just switch the keyboard settings around, have a substitute for z/x towards the right side of the keyboard and play with the tablet using your left hand.
Yea i did that since the beginning I just had no rhythm in my right hand whatsoever, I'm still having trouble but playing taiko with my right hand only is helping me a bit developping reflexes on my right hand.
show more