forum

General Con/Expo Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
iMuffin

Pokebis wrote:

Gen Con every year.
This time even staying over at a hotel so I'll be there the whooooole time.
Last year was a blast, I wouldn't mind meeting anybody there.
I might see you there this year
Haneii

Weezy wrote:

If Anime North has an osu!meet up then the chances of me going would be almost 100% XP

CheeseWarlock wrote:

Anime North: 67% chance of attending.

Anime North osu! meet up o/
Rantai
Brisbane Supanova in April this year.

Might even try for Wai-con next year.
Weez

Haneii wrote:

Weezy wrote:

If Anime North has an osu!meet up then the chances of me going would be almost 100% XP

CheeseWarlock wrote:

Anime North: 67% chance of attending.

:) should happen
Lilac

Rantai wrote:

Brisbane Supanova in April this year.

Might even try for Wai-con next year.
Supanova is soooo heavy on cosplaying. T_T

I'm going to Manifest on August... Saved up tons of money for it. We've already organised some people to go. PM me if you want to join I guess.
Roddie

Mogsworth wrote:

Attending Anime Boston this April. Bitches best be there.
I would like to go to Anime Boston again this year. But looks like I won't. :(
RemmyX25
@ Mogsykins going to Anime Boston

a) No money

b) No costume

c) That week is Tech week for our musical ;____;

Bring something back for me plz ilu mogsykins ;______;
Mogsy
Request things for me to find, then, Remmy. :P

If anybody is too shy to post that they're going, look for me by badge name (Rhydderch is what I believe I put down for mine) and by my cosplay (Tsunemi Chiba from BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad, Joshua from TWEWY, and one last one I haven't actually decided on). Also, obligatory guest namedrops. It's music-themed this year, so they decide to bring more standard Japanese bands this year (as opposed to Nobuo Uematsu/VGO (2010) and Yuki Kajiura/Kalafina (2009)), STEREO PONY and girugamesh.
RemmyX25

Mogsworth wrote:

Request things for me to find, then, Remmy. :P
I dunno, I'm a videogame figurine or novelty item kind of guy. I just wander the dealers room for interesting stuff.
Haneii

Mogsworth wrote:

It's music-themed this year, so they decide to bring more standard Japanese bands this year (as opposed to Nobuo Uematsu/VGO (2010) and Yuki Kajiura/Kalafina (2009)), STEREO PONY and girugamesh.

I think I'd rather go to Anime Boston instead now >w<. It's just a couple more hours drive than Anime North anyway :P. Although April 22nd- 24th might still be exam period :/. But girugamesh? I can't miss this >_<. (you guys got Yuki Kajiura and Kalafina before? Lucky bastards XD)
Mogsy

Haneii wrote:

Mogsworth wrote:

It's music-themed this year, so they decide to bring more standard Japanese bands this year (as opposed to Nobuo Uematsu/VGO (2010) and Yuki Kajiura/Kalafina (2009)), STEREO PONY and girugamesh.

I think I'd rather go to Anime Boston instead now >w<. It's just a couple more hours drive than Anime North anyway :P. Although April 22nd- 24th might still be exam period :/. But girugamesh? I can't miss this >_<. (you guys got Yuki Kajiura and Kalafina before? Lucky bastards XD)
It'd be worth it, if you have a passport. It's I think the second largest anime convention on the east coast of the United States (only behind Otakon)? Also, Yuki Kajiura is awesome, but I found it hilarious that she had a Q&A period when she could speak really only basic English.
Rantai

Lilac wrote:

I'm going to Manifest on August... Saved up tons of money for it. We've already organised some people to go. PM me if you want to join I guess.
If only my timetable was more forgiving... I would love to see Manifest.

Then again, with how everything is playing out so far...
Kyonko Hizara
Goin to Anime Boston in April. I will be cosplaying Aya Shameimaru :3
Doomsday
Well, I'm gonna be at the UK MCM midlands Telford con. Buncha college friends are going, and they're gonna drag me along.
Firo Prochainezo
Going to AOD (San Francisco) this week, but only on Saturday.
Lilac

Rantai wrote:

Lilac wrote:

If only my timetable was more forgiving... I would love to see Manifest.

Then again, with how everything is playing out so far...
Does that mean you're coming? ^_^

Yay, more people. Anyway, I've got 3 people from osu! to go~ So it would be wonderful for more to come.
Sigel Wynn
for people who wants to play the osu arcade machine at wai-con

over sea peoples if you can......try to get to Perth at the end of January or somewhere around the 25th.....since Perth anime convention Wai-con tend to start at the end of f January (i shall find the date it start more in a later time...)
it would problaly be great to hear people form over sea to come here....so come and enjoy and cosplay....:D

Edit worng date.....
Azure_Kite
Went to AIConin Hobart, Tasmania last weekend.

I saw Reimu.

And a manly Marisa.

I was satisfied.

Until I found a Prinplup, a .Hack//Contagion Trading Card Set and copius amounts of generic Animu Box Sets and Manga.

They also had a range of games (no Danmaku :'( ). Since I was there I played Melty Blood : Actress Again, since that was the only decent non-generic game they had there.

I'll post pics later, probably.
Lilac
Looking forward to it, Azure.
LizzyChii

Roddie wrote:

Mogsworth wrote:

Attending Anime Boston this April. Bitches best be there.
I would like to go to Anime Boston again this year. But looks like I won't. :(

I'll see ya there ;)
Metruzero
Going to Connecticon this summer. Anyone actually living in this boring state should totally go.
Mogsy
Bumping because Anime Boston 2011 starts this Friday.

I'll be arriving in Boston sometime Thursday evening, and I'm only cosplaying one of the days, since I only had time to finish my Tsunemi Chiba (BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad) costume/I couldn't afford a good-enough shirt for Joshua. If anybody wants to meet Mogsy, well, get in touch with me.
Lilac
Goddamnit. Give me 4 more years, Mogsy!

Also, bump to say that I am volunteering to help set up Manifest 2011. So whoever talked to me to go there, you won't be seeing me at the gates, but rather working there for all 3 days, 9 to 9. (This is all assuming I get accepted. XD)

So yeah, sorry guys.
burningmice

Weezy wrote:

Haneii wrote:

Lets do it! :)
Firo Prochainezo
Fanime, guise.

Anyone going there?
Faust

Firo Prochainezo wrote:

Fanime, guise.

Anyone going there?
That is such a terrible name.
Firo Prochainezo

Faust wrote:

ikr, but I'll forgive them because the place is huge.
Faust

Firo Prochainezo wrote:

Faust wrote:

ikr, but I'll forgive them because the place is huge.
Enjoy yourself 8-)

Do tell me about it soon.
ddrXero64
I wasn't member here then, but I went to Anime Boston about a month ago. Did anyone here attend? I met some people from the stepmania community, but that was only a handful. Theat community is smaller and my area doesn't have many stepmania players. Anyone from here a regular Anime Boston attendee?
Mogsy

Mogsworth wrote:

Bumping because Anime Boston 2011 starts this Friday.

I'll be arriving in Boston sometime Thursday evening, and I'm only cosplaying one of the days, since I only had time to finish my Tsunemi Chiba (BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad) costume/I couldn't afford a good-enough shirt for Joshua. If anybody wants to meet Mogsy, well, get in touch with me.
No, of course not. It's not like I posted the week of the con or anything. :P

But yeah, I'm a regular attendee. This year was pretty cool, as well. Didn't really get to meet many people, but hey, the panels were actually quite interesting for the most part.
ddrXero64
Nice, did you see the guy dressed up as Kirby? Probably my favorite in the creative category haha. I went to some panels and the stepmania workshop (which was a huge controversy, so much drama), I liked the Touhou panel, and by pure coincidence I found out the guy named Kilga on the panel was the same guy who used to step for Stepmania and FFR back in 2003-2006. It was pretty crazy seeing old veterans. I went to the rave/informal dance, which was a little better than I expected. I go to raves a lot, so I expected it to be a horrible 13 year old generic rave, but it wasn't so bad. I dominated rave circles though, and my (online) friend's brother apparently forgot to tell me he could breakdance and he tore the circle apart. I met up with the youngest girl to AAA a song on DDR, she's 12 and she even AAA'd Sakura now. She's an ITG player though, so it makes sense, though impressive. I was playing Dance Central on the Kinect a lot in case you saw that in the gaming room. I didn't like the "Who is Hatsune Miku?" panel, horribly run in my opinion. I want to cosplay next year, probably as two cosplays. One of them will be creating my own Jet Set character for the rave, the other is a secret, but I'll be slightly.......LMAO I think I'll go as pedobear with the common sense to not actually chase underage girls. This will in fact give me an excuse to screw around with the (legal) female friends I have. If you see a fishing line with a Hello Kitty plush at the end of it, don't trust it. I'll probably be behind the wall with a fishing rod. It's gonna be epic haha, I'll be getting away with so much to "stay in character." XDD

/rant

For the tl;dr people:

I'll be going as Pedobear (hopefully) next year to Anime Boston 2012.
Mogsy
Paragraphs, man, paragraphs! Still, nice to see that Kilga is still alive.

[Mogsy's AB story dead ahead!]

Also, I didn't go to either panel you mentioned, since neither one interests me. I went to the folowing panels:
  1. FUNimation Sneak Peek
  2. Anime One-Night Stands
  3. Sentai Filmworks
  4. Remembering Satoshi Kon
  5. Omoide on my Mind: Guide to Japanese Indie Rock
  6. Hentai Dubbing (18+)
The FUNimation Sneak Peek panel started with stuff that was already in the Dealer's Room, such as Ga-Rei Zero, Eden of the East: The King of Eden and Summer Wars. They also had clips of their dubs for Dance in the Vampire Bund and Baka to Test. They also announced their rerelease of Excel Saga and blu-ray of Yu Yu Hakusho. Not a bad panel.

Anime One-Night Stands had some VA recommending short series one could watch in a night, both for great and bad reasons. I dismissed a few titles on the list (Elfen Lied, blech), but I was the only one who cheered for Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne (Mnemosyne: Mnemosyne no Musume-tachi), for which he promptly. It was a pretty generic list, but presented in a funny fashion.

The Sentai Filmworks panel was kinda blech. They announced a few titles they're releasing this year in a sloppy fashion (the guy seemed unprepared for announcing that), such as Highschool of the Dead, Demon King Daimao, and Angel Beats. We had technical difficulties when he attempted to show us the first episode of Angel Beats' dub, which took literally five minutes to solve. The dub wasn't half bad, but the flap needs to be fixed before the release the blu-ray/DVD. The English dub is well-acted, though, and the script was much funnier than the Japanese script (which is good, since this is a dramedy).

Remembering Satoshi Kon is tied for my favourite standard panel, not going to lie. Got there late and it didn't go for the full time, but the discussion of the many messages and themes in the works of Satoshi Kon is always fun. He also apparently did manga that was never translated (a fact I didn't know since I haven't done too much research on the man's past), so it's stuff I should look into soon.

Omoide in my Mind, the Japanese indie rock panel, was my second favourite, and it might inch above Satoshi Kon in terms of overall favourite. It introduced me to a few new bands (I lost the whole list of it, unfortunately, I'll look it up again later), such as Mass of the Fermenting Dregs and Rin Toshite Shigure, both of whom are common on my playlists now.

The Hentai Dubbing made me feel uncomfortable but it was absolutely hilarious. That's all there is to say about it.

I went to the BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad screening as Tsunemi Chiba, and that was the only place I got recognized when in cosplay. That was the only screening I went to.

I spent a good amount of time in the Artist's Alley and Dealer's Room, and bought a bit. Also went to the Swap Meet on Friday.
SPOILER
Got four gifts (one xxxHolic Mokona for RL Link, a Seaking figurine for Remmy, and two small Tepigs for IRL bros), and a lot of Pokemon-related items. Hoenn badges, three magnets (Lapras, Espeon, and Flareon), and a Red/Blue print from the Artist's Alley, Pokemon-wise; I also got a Kyubey mini-print and plush Narwhal with an eyepatch. At the Dealer's Room, I got a few tiny Pokemon figurines (Torkoal, Furret, Seviper), a giant Pokemon gashapon (got an Eevee; the options were Eevee, Pikachu, Marill, Skiploom, Mew, and Munchlax), a Minccino plush, a Chocobo Tales Chocobo plush, and a plush of Tsukasa from .hack//SIGN.

In short, can't wait until next year.
awp

Weezy wrote:

Haneii wrote:

oh shit that's this weekend right?

I was thinking of going, to see Barbara Goodson, but I'm thinking I'll be sitting it out, now. Though, I could get more signatures on my osu! mug...
ddrXero64

Mogsworth wrote:

In short, can't wait until next year.
Yup, haha. As for not using paragraphs, it was intentional. I literally felt like I'd say that in breath, and I'm surprised you read that! It was truly a rant lol. I was excited though when I went, it was my first con really. I'm more used to raves, so the experience was great.

Maybe I'll see you next year, but that's a long time away. Also, if you were spending time in a hotel, I have news for you. The subway station Red Line I believe) had a motel at the end in Braintree I think, it was 80 a night for two (60 for one). The sheer amount of money I saved was what allowed me to go, you only have to sacrifice a 20 minute subway ride. I spent 40 a night for three nights compared to 160 a night at the hotel down the street (not even the Sheraton). The key differences were things you didn't need. You don't need a pool, the wi-fi was optional but extra (5 a night?), and all the fancy decorations weren't the there. The TV was an HD flat screen (huge, like over 32 inches I bet) with an HDMI cable for gaming systems, a computer cable too for monitor display (lol, computer with stepmania, foam mats, I should do that next year), it was epic. If you liked the dealer's room, definitely use that hotel. Sacrificing a 20 minute ride has never been sweeter.

Only set back was the need to catch a subway between 11:30pm-12:00am to make sure you got back. But uhh, not much of a setback if you ask me, I saved literally 120 a night at the least. I was able to eat out without budget, and check out the dealer's room. PM me if you want to know, only reason I make it look like such a good deal is because it is. I cancelled my hotel two days before leaving because my friend offered me a spot with him since someone cancelled on him. Best decision ever.
Haneii

awp wrote:

Haneii wrote:

oh shit that's this weekend right?

I was thinking of going, to see Barbara Goodson, but I'm thinking I'll be sitting it out, now. Though, I could get more signatures on my osu! mug...

Aww :(

I'll be at Anime North this weekend (crossplaying prince Soma from Kuroshitsuji :), if anyone would like to meet up.
Sumaki
Anyone going to Otakuthon 2011? Wait that's in 3 months...
mathexpert
I'm going to anime expo
so excited b/c i'm going to see the live miku hatsune concert!!
burningmice

mathexpert9981 wrote:

I'm going to anime expo
so excited b/c i'm going to see the live miku hatsune concert!!
I really wish I could go there. But being on the eastern end of Canada doesn't help at all.
awp
there's such thing as a live hatsune miku concert? Do they have synthesizers playing along to a band/orchestra or something?
mathexpert

awp wrote:

there's such thing as a live hatsune miku concert? Do they have synthesizers playing along to a band/orchestra or something?
Its a band playing while the track plays and there is a hologram-type thing of hatsune miku.

show more