forum

Beatmap Difficulty According to Rank?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Xyrus_old_1

ron_mario wrote:

but I was wondering what difficulty I should be trying at this rank to get better.
Looking at your top scores, I'd say around 2.5-3.5* nomod would be ideal for now.

ShadyAngel wrote:

ron_mario wrote:

I feel like I'm playing songs that are too hard for my rank or skill level.
If you feel like that don't do it, too hard maps aren't even that fun tbh if you have to keep retrying.
This ^
Topic Starter
ron_mario

Xyrusd0t0 wrote:

Looking at your top scores, I'd say around 2.5-3.5* nomod would be ideal for now.
I feel like im doing terrible on these maps because I've played so many fast maps and I'm not skilled enough to adjust. I'm not trying to be those edgy players who think they are good because they get Cs on maps too hard for them, but I don't really get much pp out of these lower star maps and I get the same acc on maps a star above them albeit around 89%. Should I keep farming these low maps to get better?
Nabel_old_1
Just make sure that you play this game as a rythm game and not as a reaction game.
Yuudachi-kun

Nabel wrote:

Just make sure that you play this game as a rythm game and not as a reaction game.
No fuck you
StephOsu

Khelly wrote:

No fuck you
Listen to Khelly he's 6k pp for a reason 4Head
On a serious note do as what Xyrusd0t0 said
chainpullz
Do you want to get better or do you want pp? You're not always going to be able to do both at the same time. Get used to it.
Yuudachi-kun
I did both up to 5600pp which is a pretty all right amount if I do say so myself mmhmmm girl don't make me slap you
chainpullz

Khelly wrote:

I did both up to 5600pp which is a pretty all right amount if I do say so myself mmhmmm girl don't make me slap you
And how much pp have you gotten from playing old maps? How well prepared were you for reading those maps from playing for pp all that time? Let's not lie, you had to put in serious effort, none of which was rewarded in pp, just to play those maps. No amount of pp-based skill farming would have gotten you there.
Yuudachi-kun
Old maps are an entirely different skillset than modern maps and not what I thought you were talking about when you said "get better" You don't HAVE to play old maps. You can continue to get better at modern maps and never touch older ones.

I'm defining old as pre 2010 by the way. 2010 and especially 2011-2012 have just a different type of style to today and a lot of them still feel very good as opposed to awkward 2008 maps.

For the most part though, it's not as serious effort as you'd like to believe. Old maps just aren't physically challenging or demanding generally - that's why all their star ratings are so low. Anyone 2000pp/3000pp/4000pp/whatever with varying degrees of physical ability in osu can learn to play them at the same rate as me because it's just reading.

And then you have shit like du hast, castle corridor, or chevron DT.
Hibiya-chan

ron_mario wrote:

Xyrusd0t0 wrote:

I feel like im doing terrible on these maps because I've played so many fast maps and I'm not skilled enough to adjust. I'm not trying to be those edgy players who think they are good because they get Cs on maps too hard for them, but I don't really get much pp out of these lower star maps and I get the same acc on maps a star above them albeit around 89%. Should I keep farming these low maps to get better?
If you wanna get better, since this is a rhythm game, you should be able to play songs at different speed, not just the fast ones. Also, farming doesn't improve you, improving in rank? Yeah but skills? Nah I don't think so. (I pp farmed maps in the past but not anymore. Just focusing on those 4* maps even tho there are still traces of ez pp maps on my top plays :( )

ShadyAngel wrote:

ron_mario wrote:

I feel like I'm playing songs that are too hard for my rank or skill level.
If you feel like that don't do it, too hard maps aren't even that fun tbh if you have to keep retrying.
Yep
Topic Starter
ron_mario

chainpullz wrote:

Do you want to get better or do you want pp? You're not always going to be able to do both at the same time. Get used to it.
100% to get better. So I'm assuming I do that by farming the low level?
chainpullz

ron_mario wrote:

chainpullz wrote:

100% to get better. So I'm assuming I do that by farming the low level?
Until you can play it proficiently enough to move on to harder stuff yeah. PP is what happens after you gain skill, not necessarily something that happens as you gain it. Or in some cases you just never get rewarded by the pp system for increases in skill in certain areas. Measure your skill by what specific maps you can consistently do well on, not by some number on your profile.
Sup A Noob

ron_mario wrote:

Xyrusd0t0 wrote:

I feel like im doing terrible on these maps because I've played so many fast maps and I'm not skilled enough to adjust.
Then that means you are lacking the basic fundamentals you need in a rhythm game. Go work on that first before playing "fast" maps.

I'm not trying to be those edgy players who think they are good because they get Cs on maps too hard for them, but I don't really get much pp out of these lower star maps and I get the same acc on maps a star above them albeit around 89%. Should I keep farming these low maps to get better?
You don't farm or grind PP. You get better, THEN PP increases. Ignore the PP and concentrate on practicing. For now, focus on your fundamentals first.
Yuudachi-kun
Rhythm is dumb.
Hiro-Senpai
I will never understand players that play insanes on 150k+/200k+ ranks
Its obvious that you cant follow the rythm of the songs and you are just mashing buttons to pass the map. It can become a really bad habit.

As others said, you should stick to hard difficulty maps and get fcs and high percentages. Improvement = more pp

;)
Hibiya-chan
Look at my rank and I still can't let go of those 3*-3.9* Hard difficulty. Can't resist to FC 'em xD
I Give Up
I imagine this would be too tricky to implement. Because star difficulty is static whereas rank inflates over time not sure how devs would go about it.
rekhichem
play more , aim for fc and push your limits that's all , also don't care too much about the rythm stuff cuz osu! standard is much more than "a rythm" game trust me , work your reading/combo/accu on maps that you find easy and push you limits by playing maps that are a bit harder , do this over and over again and you should feel some improuvement :D ! gl hf enjoy the game.
Floob

Khelly wrote:

Rhythm is dumb.
ur dumb xd
Yuudachi-kun

Floob wrote:

Khelly wrote:

Rhythm is dumb.
ur dumb xd

Floob give me your abilities
dGeist

_StormEx_ wrote:

Look at my rank and I still can't let go of those 3*-3.9* Hard difficulty. Can't resist to FC 'em xD
Everyone seems to be progressing so fast now.But I just cant resist playing the 5star maps...XD (and missing a lot)
winber1

Hiro-Senpai wrote:

I will never understand players
Endaris

winber1 wrote:

Hiro-Senpai wrote:

I will never understand
Yuudachi-kun

winber1 wrote:

Hiro-Senpai wrote:

I will never
Hiro-Senpai