forum

How to make spaced streams?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
cedar
Short version: Any tips or whatnot on how to make spaced streams that are visually attractive (smooth curves, appropriate placement of sharp turns, etc)? If the only solution is to keep making more of them (aka, just practice), I understand. There's not always an easier way to do things.

Long version:
SPOILER
So, I was watching rohulk's stream today, and he played the arles freedom dive map. Watching those beautiful spaced streams at the end reminded me of how horrible my attempts at making spaced streams always turn out. and then I end up going back and deleting the lopsided curves and turns I've made, and replacing them with something with less spacing. while that's fine and all just watching and playing the map, it's disappointing to me personally as a mapper, since a spaced stream is what what would best convey what I see in my head. This is gonna sound off topic for a bit, so maybe skip over it if you feel like it. I'll put the off topic bits in italics. I'm personally not terribly social. I don't talk to many people, even when I should for help. As such, I've never talked to another mapper about anything, or ever posted in a forum before. Due to this, I don't know how things are generally done, so what I'm about to tell you may be common knowledge and I just don't know, or I may be going about trying to do this in a completely different way than everyone else, in which case, asking for help probably won't do much good. So, when I map streams, I use distance snap and just use the mouse to determine the direction the next circle in the stream is going, and distance snap takes care of the spacing. When I map streams that are not as spaced, I have no problem making smooth curves and twisting the stream how I want it to go. But when I try to use larger spacings (typically anything further than x.6), I seem to be incapable of making the stream flow smoothly. The curves end up looking more like a quarter of an ellipse, rather than a consistent curve. The problem gets exponentially worse the further the spacing or the larger the curve. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to things I care about doing welll, so making ugly maps kinda hurts
sheela
When making curves, I make a curve slider and I convert it into streams. You can do this by clicking on the slider and click in the tab Compose -> Convert slider to stream... or simply Ctrl + Shift + F. Now, in the tool you can adjust the number of objects and the spacing, along with the beat snap divisor. This is pretty useful to achieve neat curves since you don't have to move the circles manually, you can transform a slider into stream, and voilà!

For the sharp turns, I suggest you add one when there's either a change in the music, or if there's a stronger beat. For example, you want to make a stream for a 1/4 drum part, and inside it contains a snare on each upbeat. For me I would add a sharp turn on those kind of sounds. You don't have to add a turn on every single sound of those type, but you can add some, where you think it really needs one, or it just sound better with the beat.
Yoges
I personally prefer using ds. Go to where you want your stream and adjust the ds until the space between the notes feels appropriate. Then just start drawing out the stream. This method gives you much more control and flexibility opposed to the covert slider to stream method.
Topic Starter
cedar

Yoges wrote:

I personally prefer using ds. Go to where you want your stream and adjust the ds until the space between the notes feels appropriate. Then just start drawing out the stream. This method gives you much more control and flexibility opposed to the covert slider to stream method.
I agree, I personally prefer to use ds rather than convert slider to stream. I guess a better way to phrase the question is how to make smooth spaced curves without using convert slider to stream
Yoges

burntcedar13 wrote:

Yoges wrote:

I agree, I personally prefer to use ds rather than convert slider to stream. I guess a better way to phrase the question is how to make smooth spaced curves without using convert slider to stream
It's just a matter of practice really, like you'll get better at it the more you do it. Also you should disable grid snap it'll make the spacing more consistent.
Topic Starter
cedar

Yoges wrote:

burntcedar13 wrote:

Yoges wrote:

It's just a matter of practice really, like you'll get better at it the more you do it. Also you should disable grid snap it'll make the spacing more consistent.

Ok, thank you! I'll be sure to work on them more, rather than scrapping them after a few circles
Bara-
I have trouble making such streams too. I just prefer using Convert Slider into stream, by having some sliders which flow into each other really well. Still, it's just a matter of preference
Endaris

Yoges wrote:

Also make sure to deactivate Grid Snap when using this method as your stream will look kind of messy with the uneven distances otherwise.