forum

[resolved] An error occured while selecting songs when playing offline

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Aqo
Problem Details:
After updating osu, I went to play a taiko chart, and while it did let me play, at the end of the chart I just get a black screen instead of a result screen. I tried three times, restarted osu, tried again, and it's still happening.
The issue is not map-specific. I tried other maps afterwards and had the same issue. It lets me play, but gets stuck at the end of the play.
The issue is also not mode-specific. I tried mania afterwards and had the same issue.

No hotkeys respond (including Esc). The game is basically stuck in this state. However If I press on the [X] in top-right with my mouse it goes back to the song-select menu, so at least I can avoid force-shutting the game from task manager.

My play did not appear in local, but the rank letter did update to "A" (from previously nothing) corresponding with my performance on that play.

[edit] so after testing going online seems to make the issue not happen, so this is an offline-specific problem.
also another bug: the skin files pause-back.png pause-continue.png pause-retry.png don't get detected
I get default (old skin?) version of those instead of the ones my skin has.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Playing windowed 1024x768

osu! version: 20160403.4
Pawsu
Similar problem here: p/5024853 , not too sure whats happening.
Can you try to replicate with Stable(Fallback)?
Dntm8kmeeatu

Pawsu wrote:

Similar problem here, not too sure whats happening.
Can you try to replicate with Stable(Fallback)?

Seems to be related to this

Devs are aware and everyone is looking into it. Its something to do with being offline in the new Stable and CE builds.
DarkHydranoid
I believe I found the scenario causing this issue. (Was able to replicate it a few times)
1) Playing offline
2) Username textbox is not empty

It seems that after finishing a chart, OSU is trying to save the score using the string in the username textbox (even though offline) and causing a dead lock (black screen). Basically, this situation cause OSU to think a user is online even though offline

Proof: If you type any characters in the textbox and start a chart, you can see the string next to your current score.
Short-term fix: If playing offline, keep the username textbox blank

Hope this helps
Topic Starter
Aqo

DarkHydranoid wrote:

I believe I found the scenario causing this issue. (Was able to replicate it a few times)
1) Playing offline
2) Username textbox is not empty

It seems that after finishing a chart, OSU is trying to save the score using the string in the username textbox (even though offline) and causing a dead lock (black screen). Basically, this situation cause OSU to think a user is online even though offline

Proof: If you type any characters in the textbox and start a chart, you can see the string next to your current score.
Short-term fix: If playing offline, keep the username textbox blank

Hope this helps
this is helpful. thanks
Dntm8kmeeatu

BanchoBot wrote:

Issue(s) in this thread have been addressed by the following changes:
  1. Fix replay watching not working when logged out. (peppy)

The changes will be applied to builds newer than b20160408.12.
Please follow up in this thread if you believe more work needs to be done to fix the mentioned issues. If they have not yet been resolved, please provide any new details that may have arisen after this build.

This may also fix your problem as it seemed they were all kind of tied together.
Out Of Pancakes
Having the exact same issue.

Emptying the username box resolved it though.
Gumipoliku
Problem Details: After today update, it isn't possible to play as Guest. It doesn't want to load any beatmap.
Second notification on screen: "Beatmap hasn't been loaded properly".

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: 20160409.3 (latest)

p.s. It isn't problem for me, I report only.
Hatmusic4
I'm having the same problem as well.
Replays don't even work as well, as it comes up with the error as well.
micajoeh
Try the stable fallback and see if that resolves anything.
Pawsu

Pawsu wrote:

Try on CE. Looks like one of the problems got fixed, the replays at least -

BanchoBot wrote:

Issue(s) in this thread have been addressed by the following changes:
  1. Fix replay watching not working when logged out. (peppy)
The changes will be applied to builds newer than b20160408.12.

Please follow up in this thread if you believe more work needs to be done to fix the mentioned issues. If they have not yet been resolved, please provide any new details that may have arisen after this build.
SlowP3k3
I have this problem too.
Playing on osu!beta (20160409.2)
arcwinolivirus
Problem Details:
As the title says, when selecting songs in offline mode I always get this "an error occured". I kinda figure it out that it may be a problem in "Global Ranking" because when I try view scores in "Local Ranking", the error is gone. But that doesn't end the problem here, I can't even view the result screen every after game.

All these problems are solve by playing in online mode though. But still, its annoying because I usually play in offline mode. Please fix!
I am also in compatibility mode.

Here's my logs: http://puu.sh/oed4f/df736e1492.rar

http://puu.sh/oedbl/be3abad2e4.flv

osu! version: 20160409.3
Hupie
Problem Details:

I had some problem with the song selection acting strange and being unable to load any maps, which seemed to be caused by the config file

I just thought maybe I should report this...

The config file:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/233 ... 21.Pim.cfg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/233 ... -04-11.mp4

osu crashes because I start using the arrow keys to navigate.

osu! version: 20160409.3
Pawsu
Can you replicate when being logged in (online)? There seems to be problems with offline play right now, so test being online first.
Hupie
Yeah there is no issue when logged in.
Van246
This issue still is a thing...I really hope they manage to fix it soon
Having an empty box is really inconvinient
Gumipoliku
osu! version: b20160411.11

Problem Details: Now, we can play as guest, but... when song is finished, shows only black screen (instead of scoreboard). I noticed that score didn't save locally, but rank was updated (S, A etc.)
Tofuklops
I had also this problem, emptying the Namebox really helps. Hope it will be fixed soon :)

Van246 wrote:

You can still write in your name in afterwards :) Just scroll down a bit when you are in the result screen, then you can see a box where you can write in your name. Hope I can help you.
non one c
Playing as guest works fine in cuttingedge:

I tryed stable and this happened:

Gumipoliku wrote:

osu! version: b20160411.11

Problem Details: Now, we can play as guest, but... when song is finished, shows only black screen (instead of scoreboard). I noticed that score didn't save locally, but rank was updated (S, A etc.)
I pressed Alt + F4 durring the blackscreen and it also showed a strange name instead of guest (on the bottom).
Pawsu
Please try on Cutting Edge.
Van246

Tofuklops wrote:

I had also this problem, emptying the Namebox really helps. Hope it will be fixed soon :)

Van246 wrote:

You can still write in your name in afterwards :) Just scroll down a bit when you are in the result screen, then you can see a box where you can write in your name. Hope I can help you.
I understand that thats a thing, its just that by now its a habit to hit esc when I hit the result screen and end up with a null name score...
Hupie
Same on the Cutting Edge.
Pawsu
It will get fixed. Be patient.
In the meantime, try Cutting Edge or play online.
Refer to here: t/441081
arcwinolivirus

Pawsu wrote:

It will get fixed. Be patient.
In the meantime, try Cutting Edge or play online.
Refer to here: t/441081
I do not want to change Stable to Cutting edge so... yes, I've been playing online just to play smoothly.

Thanks for the reply!
wesley26
you tried clear the username in the login area ?
arcwinolivirus

wesley26 wrote:

you tried clear the username in the login area ? (sorry for my english)
No, but I want my offline gameplays to be recorded in my username but offline. So that won't solve my problem. Anyway, I'm patient so yeah haha hoping for fix soon.
VeilStar
Merged 4 of the same threads into one.

Anyway, an update that fixed this game out today. Let us know if you're still having issues. (You may have to switch to the Cutting Edge release stream if the update isn't rolled down to other release streams by the time you see this.)

non one c
Guestplay works in stable as long as you don't type in a name.
If you want to play offline just leave it blank.
When you type a name osu! will not load the beatmaps and says that an error occurs.
Once again tested in stable and cuttingedge.
This just happens on stable!

Loud video pls be carefull!