Total Posts
show more
IppE

[Taiga] wrote:

Plans for now are 2 x HD 7990
mx04ma

IppE wrote:

[Taiga] wrote:

Plans for now are 2 x HD 7990 but need to gather some info about power since my 860W might not handle this.
AMD have used almost the same architecture for the past 5 years or so, there's literally no downside to using older amd cards in terms of compatibility, hd 7xxx will support dx12.

as for the issue of it being a dual gpu, well it is just something some people are prepared for, and Taiga sounds like and enthusiast to me anyway so it should be fine.

i wonder what kind of monitors he has, i really think if hes at 4k it's a bad idea to buy these, but at 1080/1440p it would be alright.
Topic Starter
-Makishima S-
480W per card at peak so 960W for this setup.
Considering CrossFire split computing power to reduce load it might be around like ~350W per card in normal gaming.
I am more worried if i run video rendering at full power, this might be interesting.

1,2kW PSU is minimum for me like shit

RIP Energy Bill if i go for this (and my salary' free money for next few months).

Taiga sounds like and enthusiast
Long story short: for like 4 years in a row i send to warranty service 3 nVidia cards, cba to fight with this crap what doesn't work like i want.
Then i swapped to AMD and didn't had problem with their hardware till today, like seriously, today is first day when first AMD card died for me.

About multi-gpu - yes, i am actually sick for this once, i use multi-gpu for years now and for gamer who doesn't expect much - i mean, is ok with occasional fps drops and some "lags" from time to time - single gpu is fine.
If you want a CONSTANT 60 fixed, 120-200+ unrestricted FPS in heavy graphic load games, multi-gpu setup handle this perfectly and most of the time cost less than newest GPU.

In time when i was buying this 2 x R9 270x setup, i could buy GTX Titan but guess what - 2 x R9 270x was cheaper and had better performance than GTX Titan 8-)
mx04ma
Personally I wouldn't be happy with any machine that throttled or shut-down at full load. I once had a system where the northbridge kept overheating under prime95 and throttling the cpu down to sub-1k GHZ so I undervolted/clocked the chip until it could keep the same speed up for hours until I got around to re-applying TIM to the nb chipset which seemed to fix it.

you have a great psu, just get something a little less ridiculous power wise, maybe a single 295x2? It's the most powerful single-card on the planet so that has to be worth something. Unless you wanna wait for the Fury X2 for some reason but it doesn't sound like that's an option and by then may as well go Polaris.

1200 being the minimum for your system would mean the rest of your components is pulling 240 watts under load right? well 295x2 is 500, so 740, so safely in the range of what i would expect an efficient but aged 860w psu to handle with no issues at all.
Topic Starter
-Makishima S-
I will calculate this before making any decisions but for now i consider:

2 x HD 7990 + 1,2/1,4kW PSU

or

2 x R9 380 + 1kW PSU

First one is extremely powerfull but fuckin expensive too. Second one is cheap (like 300$ per card here) but enough for next 2-3 years of ultimate gaming.
mx04ma
Of course, the 2x 7990 setup + a 1.2k+1.4kw psu might add up to close to the cost of one 295x2 dual-gpu card or more, and quad-gpu scaling performance is also a debatable issue. Not to mention the massive power bill, if you do decide you want to invest in that first choice, I'm just saying the 295x2 + same psu may be a cheaper investment overall and if it isn't the power bill will more than make up for the difference and i can't see the setup not being powerful enough in any scenario now or in the foreseeable future.

You're looking at a much better memory interface with the 295x2 which translates into better multi-monitor / high-res performance, even 2x 7990's will struggle because of the vram situation. Goes back to quad-gpu scaling issues.

I just think you can get the performance you want out of this current PSU even without caving in and going to nvidia for their superior performance/watt. And if you have the cash to flush down the toilet on this 7990 setup I think there's an alternative you'll be happier with overall.

And yet, this is all irrelevant if you decide to go with the second option, which is obviously a lot cheaper than either the one you proposed or mine. Just keep in mind a single r9 380 is only about 20% faster than a gtx 960, but a 960 with 4gb is already too weak to utilize that much vram. Might be disappointed with the performance. Probably enough for many years to come for max settings @ 1080p but I doubt it would crush games @ 1440p years down the line.
mx04ma
your PSU might also be old and you might not be sure if it's part of why your old gpu setup crapped out so that might be another factor that you want to replace it, so yeah... do what feels right. I mean I'm not sure if you can exactly truly test if your psu is frying cards with 1x 6850 with any degree of certainty, and it would suck to put it under a significant load with a 295x2 and THEN fiind out the voltage rail your pcie power connectors are on is faulty and malfunctioning at high power usage and cooking cards. Or maybe you actually do know your PSU isn't the problem, and are more educated than me in the field. Just speculating.
mx04ma
Hell, you should be able to just buy 2x r9 290x with that psu and save a lot of money from both scenarios since thats all the 295x2 is, 2 of those pasted together in crossfire on one card to save space & power but cost much more. If i may ask, why haven't you considered that? Do you really think it would underperform vs 2x hd7990's or that it is not worth the money being 'newer' hardware?
Topic Starter
-Makishima S-
So far i am checking my spreedsheet of multi-gpu performance and updating prices.
Yuudachi-kun
My card is best card.
FuZ
do you even yu gi oh
Endie-
Intel HD graphics master race
Topic Starter
-Makishima S-

Endie- wrote:

Intel HD graphics master race
Don't laugh, osu! works perfect on Intel HD 4600 mobo integrated one.
Cyclohexane
then again osu! also works perfect on geforce 2
Yuudachi-kun

FuZ wrote:

do you even yu gi oh

I sunmon my 750ti
Topic Starter
-Makishima S-

Mr Color wrote:

then again osu! also works perfect on geforce 2
gf 2 still better than HD 4500
mx04ma
i..i dont know about that, the 6200 which is 5 years newer than the geforce2 loses just a little bit against intel hd 4600
just a tiny bit

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/In ... 168vsm9463
Mahogany
Damn all this computer talk makes me want a new card
Topic Starter
-Makishima S-

Mahogany wrote:

Damn all this computer talk makes me want a new card
Ya know where to find me ^^

Anyway, i somehow managed to send this cards for warranty service. This is actually huge for my wallet.

I might actually buy this thing: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834319048 since our shops still have it avaiable and maybe play some Osssss on touchscreen. Also friend of mine told it's great when you swap win for linux.
AncuL

[Taiga] wrote:

served well for 3 years without single failure
with a failure i guess?
Kitsunemimi
Bit late but,

[Taiga] wrote:

So far i am checking my spreedsheet of multi-gpu performance and updating prices.

mx04ma wrote:

and quad-gpu scaling performance is also a debatable issue.
^ This is going to be your biggest issue. From my experience (up to 3 cards):
2 cards: Very good to perfect scaling in most games
3 cards: Gains are less, only really getting gains in well optimized games (BF, GTAV, Crysis). Forget about games like WoT, LoL, and most MMOs. Literally makes zero difference in osu!, every Source game ever, any other game older than 6 years, etc.
4 cards: You need to have 4K/144Hz/surround/VR + an Intel Extreme CPU for this to mean anything.

I'm not trying to make GPU scaling sound like a train wreck, but diminishing returns hits pretty hard, especially in terms of value. Practicality is also a problem with more cards.

[Taiga] wrote:

480W per card at peak so 960W for this setup.
Throw in an 84W CPU (which you will need for good 4-way; + even more if OC'd) and you will run into problems with a 1200W PSU during full load. Mainboard takes a chunk of power (see that big beefy 24-pin?), and fans do as well, to a lesser extent. If you get a top quality PSU (AX-series?), then it might be able to handle it, but I wouldn't be so sure with anything else.

Long story short, SLI/CF is good, but I would not recommend 4-way. 4-way is usually exclusively for e-peen, benchmarking, or rich people. But absolutely definitely not for value. But yeah, that's just my 2 cents.