forum

Measure Distance and slope in edit mode

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
ziin
Would be like drawing a slider with 2 nodes, and it can calculate the distance and the slope of the line.

It would be nice if you could draw this as a line as well, and have it stay there so that you can have a few key points/lines of reference throughout the map other than the X and Y axes. This way you can figure out if your sliders are symmetrical, or at least find a spot to make it symmetrical. Counting the squares or doing the math in your head or using beats is tedious.
Derekku
Related (or duplicate): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18062
Zelos
This would definitely be a nice feature for the editor though.
mm201
My reply from the other thread:

MetalMario201 wrote:

Nice 10 month bump.

The relationship between the distance between control points and the resulting bezier is non-obvious, and other things affect the resulting shape moreso, so I see no reason for this.

Maybe field coordinates (as in SBE) could be handy.
Distance/angle between control points is useless for this reason.

Field coordinates are shown in the top right, so you should never need to count squares.

Distance between *objects* already exists in the form of Distance Spacing in the top right corner. Field coordinates of control points also exists when you hover a control point. Angle between separate objects (only makes sense when you select exactly 3) is something I might consider when I'm bored.

Angle is always more useful than slope.
Topic Starter
ziin

Derekku wrote:

Related (or duplicate): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18062
duplicate problem (lack of digital feedback on distances), related solutions. probably should have posted there, but it's easier to search for something when you know vaguely what to search for.

MetalMario201 wrote:

Field coordinates are shown in the top right, so you should never need to count squares.
I can count squares in my head. I can't subtract 4 three digit numbers, remember the answer, and divide them by 16 in my head. If the field coordinates were translated to the current grid you're on, then I wouldn't have a problem there either. 2 digit numbers are easy.

Also, slope is just another way to express an angle. I'd rather see 7/22 rather than whatever arctan(7/22) is. The only time I'd use angle over slope is if I were making an angle something other than 90 or symmetrical about an axis.