forum

Being able to force the usage of the skin selected by the us [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Wishy
Well to put it in a simple way, some function that allows the user to say something like "hey osu! just load my skin and ignore the map's skin". The game actually loads any kind of skin a map can have, and sometimes they are horribly annoying. Of course, we could just go and delete each map's skin, but it's really a pain to have to start a map, quit, go to songs folder, search for the corresponding map, deleting each skin file and going to the game again, while we could have a simple option that'd do that by simply not loading the skin. :/

Title ends with: by the user. xd
Claudia_old
personally, +support from me

but expect a lot of bashing on the subject...because it's a lot like disabling SB's
Topic Starter
Wishy

E-Hooker wrote:

personally, +support from me

but expect a lot of bashing on the subject...because it's a lot like disabling SB's
I know, the problem is that we have the option already to choose any skin, and then we got another feature that forces the game not to load our skin but to load another one... it doesn't really make any sense. Plus adding this option will make users NOT to delete custom map skins, since actually some skins are like "see, quit, delete, retry".
Derekku
This is requested at least once a month, and isn't going to happen. Also, you won't be able to change the contents of a map's folder once osz2 is implemented.
Firo Prochainezo

Derekku wrote:

This is requested at least once a month, and isn't going to happen. Also, you won't be able to change the contents of a map's folder once osz2 is implemented.
Can we still get the mp3?

What a silly question this is.
Zetta

Firo Prochainezo wrote:

Derekku wrote:

Can we still get the mp3?

What a silly question this is.
I'd like to know the answer to this too. Like a lot of osu'ers. My music collection is full of shit I download on osu so I simply just copy & paste stuff into my music folders then onto my phone/etc.

Another thing too - Will mappers be required to cut a song to the point they finish mapping it? Nothing annoys me more than playing a song I love, copying & pasting it onto my mp3 only to find the song has been cut almost in half because the mapper only wanted to map to a certain part in the song.
LuigiHann
A major purpose of osz2 will be to stop you from using it to steal mp3s. If you want the music, you can get it from somewhere else.
Topic Starter
Wishy
But won't stop people from stealing music for making a map. xd

However, well, guess I'll have to resign from playing some maps in the future when some mappers decide to include awful skins, luckily my favourite mappers don't usually include custom skins (or if they do at most they make the map load it from /skins). xd
Derekku
It's hard to please everyone (especially with custom elements like skins). I can't speak for the past, but nowadays there should be a higher quality for everything map-related (from storyboards to skins to the quality of the map itself). If there's a really crappy skin, then it's usually caught before the ranking stage. But, if you know of any newly ranked maps (perhaps from the past few months) with horrible skins, feel free to bring up your concern in the map's thread so that it can hopefully be prevented in the future.
OzzyOzrock

LuigiHann wrote:

A major purpose of osz2 will be to stop you from using it to steal mp3s. If you want the music, you can get it from somewhere else.
fuuuuuuuuuuuck

aaaah some shit's hard to find

my life is ruined
LuigiHann

OzzyOzrock wrote:

LuigiHann wrote:

fuuuuuuuuuuuck

aaaah some shit's hard to find

my life is ruined
Hell, worst case scenario you can just ask the mapper to share it with you. But we can cross that bridge when we come to it
Topic Starter
Wishy

Derekku wrote:

It's hard to please everyone (especially with custom elements like skins). I can't speak for the past, but nowadays there should be a higher quality for everything map-related (from storyboards to skins to the quality of the map itself). If there's a really crappy skin, then it's usually caught before the ranking stage. But, if you know of any newly ranked maps (perhaps from the past few months) with horrible skins, feel free to bring up your concern in the map's thread so that it can hopefully be prevented in the future.
With horrible skins I actually refer to some well done ones, that even when they are nicely done they are awful for playing, like most K-ON skins for giving an example, you get a 300 and the screen explodes more or less. That's why I said I prefered the system where the map searches for some skin on the skins folder, since you can choose if you want to play the map with it or no, plus you even get an In-Game recommendation about playing with the correct skin, but some mappers insist to include the whole skin on their map, not only making the map heavier, but making many players have to delete it since they may not like it. In my case, I'd stop playing some maps if I were forced to play with some skins I really can't stand, don't know if I'm the only one on this though. I just think each player should be able to choose what skin to play with, by not getting forced skins they DON'T want to play with.
Derekku

Wishy22 wrote:

With horrible skins I actually refer to some well done ones, that even when they are nicely done they are awful for playing, like most K-ON skins for giving an example, you get a 300 and the screen explodes more or less. That's why I said I prefered the system where the map searches for some skin on the skins folder, since you can choose if you want to play the map with it or no, plus you even get an In-Game recommendation about playing with the correct skin, but some mappers insist to include the whole skin on their map, not only making the map heavier, but making many players have to delete it since they may not like it. In my case, I'd stop playing some maps if I were forced to play with some skins I really can't stand, don't know if I'm the only one on this though. I just think each player should be able to choose what skin to play with, by not getting forced skins they DON'T want to play with.
Ahh, nice example. I also like the K-ON skin but feel that it's sometimes a bit hard to play with, especially when hitbursts are too similar and you can't see if you're getting 300's or 50's until you hit the break and see you have <90% accuracy. :p Perhaps we need to try and persuade mappers to use the force skin feature rather than including full skin elements in every map.