forum

A new Osu! mode, "Osu Advanced"

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +70
Topic Starter
Vencam
As this is my first post on the Community, I hope I'm not mistaking posting this here.
What i had in mind with that not-so-inspiring name was a mod that could satisfy the players with a stronger taste for challenge.
But maps at any mode can be incredibly difficult already!
I agree to that, but to me the difficult starts to lose sense as we get close to 6 stars in Osu! standard, and 4 stars in Osu!Mania (the only two modes i play actively), as the number of hits becomes ridicolously high, reaching and surpassing the actual beats of the song (this becomes especially clear in Osu!Mania). As this might be an opinion nobody shares, I still believe a new mode would be of some interest to some people.
What would it be about?
Basically, as the lame name suggests, it would be a more advanced kind of gameplay, featuring a fusion between Osu! standard and Osu! Taiko. What I mean, is a mod differring to the Osu! standard only for differentiation between the "X" and "Z" clicks (or the left and right mouse buttons). For example, a map would feature hits of only two colors, or two different shapes, where can be hitted only with a right ("X") click, and the other only with a left ("Z") click. For the most masochist, an increase up to four keys could be easily implemented.
Though I know very little, if none, about how the game's programmed, I don't think a lot of work would be required in the making, as the basics are already existing.
Please bear with any mistake, as my english is far from perfect.
-Haze-
Sounds intriguing.. i accept maybe it'll be cool adding it
Gnoske
Interesting. Maybe as an unranked mod? I don't really agree that maps above 6 stars doesn't make sense but this idea sounds cool anyway.
Adder
nice
Ted_the_red

Gnoske wrote:

Interesting. Maybe as an unranked mod?
making this a mod is a half-assed implementation of the idea imo. If you just throw it on as a mod, the clicks you make are gonna be kinda random and not correlate well with transitioning between the keys and the rhythm ( see converts for other modes ). If this would be implemented it should be a new mode or map style for osu!std maps ( either separate pp boards for the mode or unranked leaderboards for those maps ).

I think this idea has potential but I'm personaly not too keen when it comes to adding modes or other mods to the game when it already has a lot to offer.
Remyria
I'd put 3 or 4 keys for tapping, then, 3 would be [Blue] [Blue&Red] [Red] and 4 would be just as custom as taiko. I think that because of stream maps that would be impossible otherwise... sounds interesting though.
Zafufu
I like the idea so far. Could probably use some more differences to enhance the new experience, but I like your idea. Having to not only hit the circles, but also hit them with the proper key sounds both interesting and high in potential. I could see it also spawning some interesting beatmaps with however they decide to set it up. I think it could use more tweaks to make it a full new mode, but I really hope they take this idea into consideration for any future modes, it sounds both possibly fun and challenging. Another great thing about your idea is that it's also not far fetched, and considers what is already possible in the Osu! program. If I could give stars, I'd fill this up.
Topic Starter
Vencam

Zafufu wrote:

I like the idea so far. Could probably use some more differences to enhance the new experience, but I like your idea. Having to not only hit the circles, but also hit them with the proper key sounds both interesting and high in potential. I could see it also spawning some interesting beatmaps with however they decide to set it up. I think it could use more tweaks to make it a full new mode, but I really hope they take this idea into consideration for any future modes, it sounds both possibly fun and challenging. Another great thing about your idea is that it's also not far fetched, and considers what is already possible in the Osu! program. If I could give stars, I'd fill this up.
You basically covered all I had in mind! I agree that the code would not take much tweaking, but IF this becomes a real mod, it would need its own ranking system and all... But I'm very curious to see what a creative mapper could do with that!
At this point what is left to do? Wait and hope for votes?
Bara-
Sounds fun
Seems hard though
abraker
Let me make sure I understand what this is asking. It's like osu! standard, but you are forced to press a specific key of the 2 and that key has binded hitsounds like in taiko
kurodahatsuharu
2 keys is enough, more than that you can't do well at stream.
Topic Starter
Vencam

abraker wrote:

Let me make sure I understand what this is asking. It's like osu! standard, but you are forced to press a specific key of the 2 and that key has binded hitsounds like in taiko
I didn't think about the hitsound yet, but that would probably be a good idea too. As some maps have different hitsound through the song, having two (or more) hitsound to choose from, one for every key, may allow mappers a bit more tools to play with, as pressing keys would then produce a specific melody like in Taiko, or in some Mania songs.
Answering to your question, yes, you would be forced to press a specific button for each beat, but the buttons might be even four, for a higher challenge. On that regard, the choice might be like choosing between a 4k or a 6k map on Osu!Mania.

kurodahatsuharu wrote:

2 keys is enough, more than that you can't do well at stream.
You probably are right on this point. As i kept thinking more about it after posting this, more then two keys would probably be just pure masochism. However, practice is the only way to know. Streams will probably have a very different role in this mode anyway, but I am sure a Taiko player can know better about this matter (having never mapped, I don't know how a mapper would deal with streams in this situation).
Jukkii
I myself thought of this quite some time ago but didnt make anything out of it since i thought it was no good.

but i'll support this since i would really like to see this in-game.
Niick Akira
interesting, but it would be unranked ? :?:
Topic Starter
Vencam

Niick Akira wrote:

I think it should be, as it would be too different from the existing modes to not have a separate ranking system, but... It's up to users preferences, right?
LastExceed
If you are looking for something REALLY hard without ridiculously fast button spamming, try a custom gamemode like osu!diva. It's basically mania, but with the notes coming from any direction (hell there's even curved paths) and with the hitposition being anywhere on the screen. Multi-key combinations for single notes and jesus christ that gamemode is crazy.
Harakiri_j
Nice idea, where / how did you get that idea?
(That made me think of a 3ds game with Hatsune Miku blablabla...)
Adder
You wouldnt have to think about which finger to tap, there is just one way to do.
This idea is genius to the point it would kill the original mode, since i believe over half the players would move to the new mode.
Its like a osu reset, lets rework this game again and make it better.
Adder

Niick Akira wrote:

This wont be a mod you fool, but a 5th mode/like a diferrent game and wont use osu!std maps but has its own specific maps, and seperate ranking too, scoring/grading could be different too, and i hope there wont be HP drain.
Topic Starter
Vencam

LastExceed wrote:

If you are looking for something REALLY hard without ridiculously fast button spamming, try a custom gamemode like osu!diva. It's basically mania, but with the notes coming from any direction (hell there's even curved paths) and with the hitposition being anywhere on the screen. Multi-key combinations for single notes and jesus christ that gamemode is crazy.
I saw the gameplay and, as interesting as I found that, it is not what I was looking for, as that is basically a osu!Mania with a harder note appearence, just like the ds game that Harakiri_j mentioned:

Harakiri_j wrote:

Nice idea, where / how did you get that idea?
(That made me think of a 3ds game with Hatsune Miku blablabla...)
Answering to you, I kinda grew the idea through time. Though it does resemble Hatsune Miku's game, I only discovered it recently, talking about this mode with friends.

Adder wrote:

Niick Akira wrote:

This wont be a mod you fool, but a 5th mode/like a diferrent game and wont use osu!std maps but has its own specific maps, and seperate ranking too, scoring/grading could be different too, and i hope there wont be HP drain.
You got it! But why would you disable HP drain?
Kibbleru
from a mappers perspective, it would be like a completely new gamemode to map
zxin_old_1
So you have to right click certain hit circles instead of left click them?
I'm pretty down with that, but I think it would be a bit hard to indicate different click types.
Either way, support!
show more