7.69%
5 - Masterpiece
57.69%
1 - Awful
0.00%
Total votes: 26
Topic Starter
YGOkid8
up until pretty much this post, the thread is about 999.

999: 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors

Wikipedia wrote:

999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (極限脱出 9時間9人9の扉 Kyokugen Dasshutsu Ku Jikan Ku Nin Kyū no Tobira?, lit. "Extreme Escape: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors") is an adventure game developed by Chunsoft and published in Japan by Spike on December 10, 2009, and in North America by Aksys Games on November 16, 2010. The game's design team was led by Kotaro Uchikoshi, who is also the writer of the acclaimed visual novel Ever 17: The Out of Infinity. A novel based on the game has also been released, with a slightly-different plot.
Console: Nintendo DS
Genre: Adventure, Problem Solving, Visual Novel, Thriller
ESRB Rating: M17+ for Blood, Drug Reference, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes and Violence

--------------------

"A chilling story and satisfying puzzles work hand in hand to make Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors a deeply absorbing adventure." - Gamespot, 8.5/10

"It's been three days since I started playing. Three days that stretched into three nights. Late nights, staying up well into the A.M. hours. It wasn't a choice. It wasn't a decision, ahead of time, to play like that. But as my mind began to become more and more intertwined into the world I'd begun exploring, it seemed impossible to stop. I couldn't stop. I was playing 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors." - IGN, 9/10
Virtue's Last Reward

Wikipedia wrote:

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, released in Japan as Kyokugen Dasshutsu Adventure: Zennin Shibou Desu (極限脱出ADV 善人シボウデス?), is a visual novel developed by Chunsoft. It is the sequel to the Nintendo DS title 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors and is created by the same staff, including writer-director Kotaro Uchikoshi and character designer Kinu Nishimura. The game contains full voice acting (English and Japanese in the North American version and only Japanese in the Japanese and European versions), and is rendered in 3D models, rather than 2D sprites like its predecessor. Though the story is self-contained, it contains several references to 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors.
"Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward is a memorable and enthralling sci-fi/horror adventure that will have you glued to the small screen." - Gamespot, 8.5/10

"Amazing." - IGN, 9.5/10
Awesome games, these are. If you love Visual Novels and masterpiece of stories, these are must haves. Play these if you liked the Infinity series as well, story-wise I think they're made by the same person. Too lazy to go check though.

What we do here in this thread:

1. Progress in story, and how you find it for others to see
  2. Discuss lingering questions, you're bound to have them
  3. Hidden jokes! Tell us all how to find them, then put them in a box
By the way when talking about main game (demos meh) where there are spoilers, please talk in spoilers. :)
Loginer
Currently at the second escape sequence. I'd appreciate the game a lot more if it didn't baby me through every single puzzle.
Behon
I should have asked for this for Christmas. Maybe if I get a gift card or something I'll pick it up, because it sounds right up my alley.
heintsi
aw damn, just now, why my ds has to be broken <.< Golden sun and this arrrrrgh and cant play. WTB soldering skills to solder new top screen in..
Balrog1993
No! I'm too poor right now. ;_; Why do you have to be so money-consuming, DS?

Must... not... buy...

I must admit, this game looks pretty sweet.
Dangaard
Just finished the last ending last night. It's totally addictive. Though the general setting seemed a bit generic to me at the beginning, the story still managed to surprise me.
Azure_Kite
Looks like another game Azure needs to buy.
Topic Starter
YGOkid8
Finished all 6 endings (again) to try and better understand the story...... didn't help much......

also looking for all the hidden jokes in the game :D
......okay, another thing we're going to add. The funny jokes you find in the game, post them! And also post how to get them as well, to the best of your ability. Also, put the jokes in spoiler boxes, some can be pretty big, and for spoiler sake as well, maybe kinda in the format below? depending on how to access the joke? i dunno......

here's one right at the beginning of the game:

keep examining the ladder, more than once.
SPOILER
#1 Junpei: This is the ladder that goes up to the top bunk.

#2 Junpei: So ladder, we meet again.

#3 Junpei: Once again, I gaze upon this stately ladder. "Ladder? I don't even know her!" Most. Original. Joke. Ever.

#4 Junpei: As I gaze into the ladder, the ladder gazes into me. "Hey, so did you hear what that shopkeeper said after his ladder got stolen?" "No, what'd he say?" "Further steps will be taken." ...And that's why I have no friends.

#5 Junpei: The ladder watches me. I sense that it finds me...wanting. "So this friend of mine fell all the way down a 15-foot ladder." "Wow, that's pretty bad. How's he doing?" "Oh, he's all right, but he's feeling pretty rung out by the whole experience." I should be writing these down, they're comedy gold!

#6 Junpei: I think the ladder is following me. "Trying to keep up with all the latest stiles has me all rung out..." "Well, if it's a choice between being a step for someone else, and being a real social climber, I'll take the ladder!" "
'What do you call a secondary ladder covered in people?" "A full B-ladder!" Okay, I need to stop doing these before I hurt myself. Beside, this is no time to be making jokes! I need to get out of here, now!

#7+ Junpei: A ladder. It appears to have something to do with the bed.
NoHitter
And I've completed an ending and I got this video point to me having to go through doors 5,8,6
I hope this is a good ending >.> Already got knifed and killed near the sub
Sinistro
This game caught my eye immediately. I'm not used to visual novels having so little actual gameplay though, even if I enjoy the intervening dialogue. I've played it through once so far and got the ending where Clover kills you with an axe. I'll play it again later.
Lilac
I accidentally read all the endings on Wikipedia.

Well, looks like I'm not getting that game anymore.
NoHitter
I just finished all endings.
I want a more solid resolution to this, but w/e.
Topic Starter
YGOkid8

Lilac wrote:

I accidentally read all the endings on Wikipedia.

Well, looks like I'm not getting that game anymore.
fdsaf

NoHItter wrote:

I just finished all endings.
I want a more solid resolution to this, but w/e.
yeah, i kinda see what you mean...
...am i the only one here who seems to actually really like this game??? :(
Dangaard

YGOkid8 wrote:

...am i the only one here who seems to actually really like this game??? :(
Don't worry, I love it too. I guess most of the people here haven't reached the true ending yet. Not that it was bad before, but it's just getting really intense at that point.
Topic Starter
YGOkid8

Dangaard wrote:

Don't worry, I love it too. I guess most of the people here haven't reached the true ending yet. Not that it was bad before, but it's just getting really intense at that point.
yeah, you're probably right. i actually found the game quite eh with a few good spikes until i did the last ending, but still, NoHItter... :(
NoHitter
What :|
I liked the game too. Pulled three all-nighters for it.
I just wish there was a more solid conclusion other than Alice appearing in the middle of the desert XD. Storyline was awesome though nonetheless.

BTW. Who do you think killed everyone in the sub ending? I mean everyone was dead - including Ace...
Loginer
I finished the game last week. Akane being the narrator was a pretty interesting plot twist.

NoHItter wrote:

BTW. Who do you think killed everyone in the sub ending? I mean everyone was dead - including Ace...
Ace. He supposedly faked his own death.
Topic Starter
YGOkid8

NoHItter wrote:

What :|
I liked the game too. Pulled three all-nighters for it.
I just wish there was a more solid conclusion other than Alice appearing in the middle of the desert XD. Storyline was awesome though nonetheless.

oh, okay lol. the way you talked about it seemed kinda meh...... :)
oh so THAT'S what you meant with a more solid conclusion XD

Also, I've seen lots of debates (i really enjoy reading discussions for this game lol) on the sub ending. Some believe the fat guy from the captain's room (can't remember his name) somehow got out and killed them all (i don't think so, since he was under the effects of Soporil), some believe Ace faked his death, but the problem with that is that he killed Santa and Clover, chases June runs away to the submarine to escape (which is NOT true, since she's Zero, she knows this isn't really a ship, hence the submarine is useless), stabs her, runs all the way back, and hides himself in blood. To be very honest, I have no freakin' idea.
NoHitter
Well,June knew that this wasn't a ship, but Ace didn't. You could infer then that if she jumped into the water, Ace would think it was connected to the ocean and thus June "escaped" and there was nothing he could do.
Or
It was the only escape route June could get to.

Also did anyone else laugh when you saw the elevator scene with Junpei and June?
Topic Starter
YGOkid8

NoHItter wrote:

Well,June knew that this wasn't a ship, but Ace didn't. You could infer then that if she jumped into the water, Ace would think it was connected to the ocean and thus June "escaped" and there was nothing he could do.
Or
It was the only escape route June could get to.
but that's the thing, what escape route? besides, there was not point escaping, since a time paradox was going to happen, she would've disappeared anyway, thus dying(?)
Also did anyone else laugh when you saw the elevator scene with Junpei and June?
YES omg, that was hilarious, let me find it......

EDIT: Okay, here it is, for anyone who's wondering:
SPOILER
June: Aren't you afraid?
Junpei: Afraid of what?
June: Well, I've never... You know... I might... Get wet. Down there... I'd get soaking wet...
Junpei: W-Well, I mean, of course you would, that's the way it works. I mean, I've never heard of anyone getting soaking wet... somewhere... else...
June: That's... that's true...
Junpei: ...
June: You... don't mind?
Junpei: Mind what?
June: Getting... wet...
Junpei: W-Well. I dunno, I think I'd probably... You know... like it.
June: Gosh, Jumpy! You're so brave!
Junpei: ... Really? I mean, I kinda think any guy would do the same thing, you know? What happens happens, right? If you get the chance, you've just gotta go for it. That's what a man's supposed to do, I guess.
June: Y-You're so cool, Jumpy! I really admire you!
Junpei: Uh, that... doesn't really seem like the sort of thing you oughta admire someone for...
June: I'm... I'm really scared...
Junpei: Y-Yeah... I mean, like you said, you've never... done it... before...
June: Yes... So I don't think I'll be able to last very long, and then it'll be... over...
Junpei: ... O-Over?
June: Yes. I'll go to heaven...
Junpei: ... Heaven...?
June: It feels kind of like you're floating in space, and your mind gets all fuzzy, like when you pass out... At least, that's what I've heard from people who have experienced it...
Junpei: A-Ah, yes, I've heard that too. Although I don't think the same thing happens to guys.
June: ... What?
Junpei: ... Huh?
June: But, it would happen to men too, wouldn't it? It would happen to anyone. Once it gets into your body, the same thing happens to everyone.
Junpei: ... Well... I mean... Usually it doesn't... go inside... the man... I mean, generally...
June: Yes, it does. Well, eventually it will. It's not like you really have a choice... Your body will force you to swallow some of it, eventually...
Junpei: Wh-What are you trying to do to me...?
June: Nothing... I'm not going to do anything to you. I'm just saying that that's what happens. It's a psychological reaction to what you're experiencing... I know most men probably have larger lungs, but... Even then, I don't think you could hold your breath for 20, or even 10, minutes. Eventually, you'd have to breathe, and then the water would get into your lungs...
June: Once that happens, your body won't be able to get oxygen anymore, and you'll start to feel that floaty feeling as you pass out...
June: ...
Junpei: Ha ha... Ha ha ha ha... Ahahahahahaha!
that was such a -facepalm- moment for me, but still really funny lol. i didn't laugh as much as i O.o... orz... -get some ice water to cool me down-

EDIT: Oh yes, I forgot, when Junpei and June are in front of the elevator and you have to choose why you think June is afraid to go down, choose [Afraid of being with a boy] or something like that
NoHitter
Did you actually believe in the time paradox thing?
IMO Seven was lying. Didn't Junpei suspect it too?

YGOkid8 wrote:

EDIT: Okay, here it is, for anyone who's wondering:
SPOILER
June: Aren't you afraid?
Junpei: Afraid of what?
June: Well, I've never... You know... I might... Get wet. Down there... I'd get soaking wet...
Junpei: W-Well, I mean, of course you would, that's the way it works. I mean, I've never heard of anyone getting soaking wet... somewhere... else...
June: That's... that's true...
June: You... don't mind?
Junpei: Mind what?
June: Getting... wet...
Junpei: W-Well. I dunno, I think I'd probably... You know... like it.
June: Gosh, Jumpy! You're so brave!
Junpei: ... Really? I mean, I kinda think any guy would do the same thing, you know? What happens happens, right? If you get the chance, you've just gotta go for it. That's what a man's supposed to do, I guess.
June: Y-You're so cool, Jumpy! I really admire you!
Junpei: Uh, that... doesn't really seem like the sort of thing you oughta admire someone for...
June: I'm... I'm really scared...
Junpei: Y-Yeah... I mean, like you said, you've never... done it... before...
June: Yes... So I don't think I'll be able to last very long, and then it'll be... over...
Junpei: ... O-Over?
June: Yes. I'll go to heaven...
Junpei: ... Heaven...?
June: It feels kind of like you're floating in space, and your mind gets all fuzzy, like when you pass out... At least, that's what I've heard from people who have experienced it...
Junpei: A-Ah, yes, I've heard that too. Although I don't think the same thing happens to guys.
June: ... What?
Junpei: ... Huh?
June: But, it would happen to men too, wouldn't it? It would happen to anyone. Once it gets into your body, the same thing happens to everyone.
Junpei: ... Well... I mean... Usually it doesn't... go inside... the man... I mean, generally...
June: Yes, it does. Well, eventually it will. It's not like you really have a choice... Your body will force you to swallow some of it, eventually...
Junpei: Wh-What are you trying to do to me...?
June: Nothing... I'm not going to do anything to you. I'm just saying that that's what happens. It's a psychological reaction to what you're experiencing... I know most men probably have larger lungs, but... Even then, I don't think you could hold your breath for 20, or even 10, minutes. Eventually, you'd have to breathe, and then the water would get into your lungs...
June: Once that happens, your body won't be able to get oxygen anymore, and you'll start to feel that floaty feeling as you pass out...
Junpei: Ha ha... Ha ha ha ha... Ahahahahahaha!
that was such a -facepalm- moment for me, but still really funny lol. i didn't laugh as much as i O.o... orz... -get some ice water to cool me down-
You also forgot that you have to choose the option why Junpei though June was afraid. [being trapped in a confined space w/ a boy].
Sinistro
Played through all the endings on a marathon play session that took me the better part of today. I bet I'd have a lot to say about the game and indeed the post is getting bigger by the revision, but I'll have to restrict it to a couple of things, lest I spend the night on this as well.

Game turned out much better than I initially expected, making up for the relatively few, easy puzzles with the generous twists in the story, a particularly interesting one of course being that the player is pretty much Akane, who is all but controlling Junpei from the past to ensure she has a future, and all the bad ends just serve to give you all the knowledge you need but couldn't have got in a single run through the Game. Also a brilliant moment was when I realised that every time Akane's getting a fever, it's actually her feeling hot in the past. From BEING BURNED TO CINDERS. Because you have selected a wrong path and thus are, at that very moment, making the past where she dies a reality. Holy crap.

Having the final puzzle of the Nonary Game and the game itself be FREAKING SUDOKU, and an easy one at that, is simultaneously grudgingly fitting, hilarious, and wrong, like a really facepalm-worthy pun. It spoiled the poignant atmosphere they were going for with the music and a picture of despairing "I'm about to die" Akane over the keyboard. Although perhaps even the most banal and childish puzzle seems different if you're about to burn to death.

The motive forAce setting up the original Nonary Game was beyond dumb, astoudingly petty and incredible overkill (you did all this not for mind controlling but because you wanted to be able to RECOGNISE FACES? Really? Is that the best possible cure you could think of, Ace?) Also, what would happen to the kids afterward? No way were they going to let them go...

Final scene wtf. I was all like "So why do you have to talk about ice-9 and All-Ice to get the True Ending, they haven't come up yet, oh wait here's the coffin, oh shit it's empty, so that means the mummy's on the loose, oh wait they're escaping and she's nowhere in sight and this is not the Gigantic where's she supposed to be stored anyway, so what was it all about and heeeere's an ALMOST NAKED PERPETUALLY FROZEN ANCIENT EGYPTIAN HITCHHIKER PRIEST ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD DESERT. WHAAAAAATTT. I expect it's probably meant for laughs or something, though, like a Brick Joke or What Happened to the Mouse tropes.

More later, either on its own or as replies to other posts.

Note to self: Try "FROZEN ANCIENT EGYPTIAN PRIESTLY HITCHHIKER" in Super Scribblenauts.
Topic Starter
YGOkid8

Sinistro wrote:

a particularly interesting one of course being that the player is pretty much Akane, who is all but controlling Junpei from the past to ensure she has a future, and all the bad ends just serve to give you all the knowledge you need but couldn't have got in a single run through the Game.
but you see, the bad ends really happened as well, just in another universe. It's like that river explanation thing, can't really remember.

Sinistro wrote:

Also a brilliant moment was when I realised that every time Akane's getting a fever, it's actually her feeling hot in the past. From BEING BURNED TO CINDERS. Because you have selected a wrong path and thus are, at that very moment, making the past where she dies a reality. Holy crap.
hence, the time paradox i was talking about earlier (yes NoHItter, I do believe in the time paradox thing)

Sinistro wrote:

Having the final puzzle of the Nonary Game and the game itself be FREAKING SUDOKU, and an easy one at that, is simultaneously grudgingly fitting, hilarious, and wrong, like a really facepalm-worthy pun. It spoiled the poignant atmosphere they were going for with the music and a picture of despairing "I'm about to die" Akane over the keyboard. Although perhaps even the most banal and childish puzzle seems different if you're about to burn to death.
t
tbh, i think that part fit well, it was just too easy, seeing how this game was intended to be played by people age 17+

Sinistro wrote:

The motive forAce setting up the original Nonary Game was beyond dumb, astoudingly petty and incredible overkill (you did all this not for mind controlling but because you wanted to be able to RECOGNISE FACES? Really? Is that the best possible cure you could think of, Ace?) Also, what would happen to the kids afterward? No way were they going to let them go...
wait, Ace set up the original Nonary Game to be able to recognise faces? I thought it was to test the morphogenic field theory?

Final scene wtf.
yes, indeed. just like NoHItter, i too wished for a more conclusive ending. i mean, WHY MUST THERE BE SO MUCH QUESTIONS LEFT OVER? IT'S LIKE INCEPTION *cough* but yeah. also, another thing in the story (not for the true ending) which wasn't at all relevant was when Clover talked to you about Locke's Socks and the ship thing. Anyone got any theory for the relevance of that?
NoHitter

Sinistro wrote:

Also a brilliant moment was when I realised that every time Akane's getting a fever, it's actually her feeling hot in the past. From BEING BURNED TO CINDERS. Because you have selected a wrong path and thus are, at that very moment, making the past where she dies a reality. Holy crap.
Holy crap. I didn't realize that. How is it possible then that June existed if she died... Holy crap I hate these paradoxes. Well it could explain why Seven started getting a headache when Junpei was solving the final puzzle. History/ his memory altering itself?

Edit: I think this topic will be the topic with the most spoiler tags.
Sinistro

YGOkid8 wrote:

but you see, the bad ends really happened as well, just in another universe. It's like that river explanation thing, can't really remember.

Yeah, I know. I just found it neat that instead of "just" being alternate ends, they had an actual impact on the plot on a "Groundhog Day" sort of way. It's like when I played Time Hollow.

YGOkid8 wrote:

wait, Ace set up the original Nonary Game to be able to recognise faces? I thought it was to test the morphogenic field theory?
Well, yeah, he says so in the ending. He hoped he would gain the ability to access the field and thus get information about how people perceive faces. That was his entire motive, although of course the other founders of the project and especially the fat investor guy must have had more conventional ones.

YGOkid8 wrote:

Also, another thing in the story (not for the true ending) which wasn't at all relevant was when Clover talked to you about Locke's Socks and the ship thing. Anyone got any theory for the relevance of that?
It's a little bit of a stretch, but since it's meant to be an example of "telepathy" as an application of the morphogenetic field theory and how we're all made up of parts of different things it could be referencing Akane's, or even better the PLAYER'S meddling with/controlling Junpei's mind. She basically states that she (and us) and he "became one" when the resonance began. As the game got played over and over, his actions and knowledge began to be influenced more and more by her (us), until at the last playthrough Akane (we) walked him through the entire game. So, at that point, based on the independency (or lack thereof) of his actions, how much of Junpei was still actually Junpei?
Topic Starter
YGOkid8

Sinistro wrote:

Well, yeah, he says so in the ending. He hoped he would gain the ability to access the field and thus get information about how people perceive faces. That was his entire motive, although of course the other founders of the project and especially the fat investor guy must have had more conventional ones.
o yea, that's right, just remembered

Sinistro wrote:

It's a little bit of a stretch, but since it's meant to be an example of "telepathy" as an application of the morphogenetic field theory and how we're all made up of parts of different things it could be referencing Akane's, or even better the PLAYER'S meddling with/controlling Junpei's mind. She basically states that she (and us) and he "became one" when the resonance began. As the game got played over and over, his actions and knowledge began to be influenced more and more by her (us), until at the last playthrough Akane (we) walked him through the entire game. So, at that point, based on the independency (or lack thereof) of his actions, how much of Junpei was still actually Junpei?
o.o... that... somehow makes sense now. can't believe i didn't think of that earlier >.<
Topic Starter
YGOkid8

Sinistro wrote:

yeah, i was thinking about too, but like, i dunno. Sure, it makes sense and stuff, but how many times during each path did she burn up with a fever? I could be getting confused with the other paths and stuff, but she seemed to burned up a lot. Like at the beginning of the game, upon opening the [5] door, and I think it happened a couple of times during the true ending as well.

also, been doing some thinking about a couple of stuff, so, discussion start, maybe:

Basically, it goes like this. In the true ending, Junpei saves Akane through the field thing over those 9 years, so then Akane in the past in 9 years time makes the Nonary Game to save herself, thus creating an infinite loop. My problem is with the alternate universes. In the alternate universes, Junpei doesn't save Akane in the past, so she burns to death in the incinerator. If that's so, how is she alive as Zero, making the game and all that? Sure, when she dies in the past, she dies in the present (disappear kinda thing, as seen during the Safe ending) but she shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Also, for those of you who remember, in the incinerator room when Seven was looking for Akane, he goes something along the lines of "Where's Akane Kurashiki!?" -some talk talk stuff- "NO! Akane died 9 years ago! I saw he-" and then he has that massive head pain? So maybe, if Junpei was never led there to save Akane in the past, the reality where Seven saw Akane dies is true. And so that head pain thing is i dunno, another time thing? Changing the past, changed this memory kinda thing? I dunno, but if he saw Akane die in the past, how was she still alive as Zero anyway? Of course, the easy answer is Seven was in on the game in the beginning, but I dunno......

EDIT: o, didn't notice NoHItter started talking about this a little bit...... meh
Also lol for most spoiler tags :P

Last and final thing: Did anyone (who've finished the game) think that Akane is some crazy person? She kidnaps all(?) these people, make them play the Nonary Game, puts their life in danger (evident in the alternate universes), devises some plot to get Ace to kill Kubota, Nijisaki and Musashidurou (or whatever their names are) all of this to save herself in the past? You've got to think, what the hell is going on in her head? (Dunno what else to add to this atm, so discuss from here)
Sinistro
idk, seems like we're the only three people in the universe who bother reading this thread, so maybe we should just write everything out in the open. Besides, spoilers begin on the second page, so anyone foolish enough to venture there gets what's coming ot them.

YGOkid8 wrote:

Sure, it makes sense and stuff, but how many times during each path did she burn up with a fever? I could be getting confused with the other paths and stuff, but she seemed to burned up a lot.
tbh I don't remember exactly, but her fate could be "fluctuating" (like body temperature does!), so that she'd get a fever every time you're moving away from the right path (i.e. reducing your chances of saving her), but not actually vanish until you've made such a mess of things you can't possibly save her any more. Of course in game terms she's doomed as soon as you pick door 5, but irl the possible routes they could have taken would be more than the ones the game provides for you.

In the true ending, Junpei saves Akane through the field thing over those 9 years, so then Akane in the past in 9 years time makes the Nonary Game to save herself, thus creating an infinite loop. My problem is with the alternate universes. In the alternate universes, Junpei doesn't save Akane in the past, so she burns to death in the incinerator. If that's so, how is she alive as Zero, making the game and all that? Sure, when she dies in the past, she dies in the present (disappear kinda thing, as seen during the Safe ending) but she shouldn't have been there in the first place.
What else? Time paradox. Yeah, it's a disappointing answer, I know.

In the incinerator room when Seven was looking for Akane, he goes something along the lines of "Where's Akane Kurashiki!?" -some talk talk stuff- "NO! Akane died 9 years ago! I saw he-" and then he has that massive head pain? So maybe, if Junpei was never led there to save Akane in the past, the reality where Seven saw Akane dies is true. And so that head pain thing is i dunno, another time thing? Changing the past, changed this memory kinda thing? I dunno, but if he saw Akane die in the past, how was she still alive as Zero anyway? Of course, the easy answer is Seven was in on the game in the beginning, but I dunno......
It gets hinted that Seven was in on the game right before Alice makes her appearance. It could either be that, or his memory rewriting itself as history is getting changed, I dunno.

Last and final thing: Did anyone (who've finished the game) think that Akane is some crazy person? She kidnaps all(?) these people, make them play the Nonary Game, puts their life in danger (evident in the alternate universes), devises some plot to get Ace to kill Kubota, Nijisaki and Musashidurou (or whatever their names are) all of this to save herself in the past? You've got to think, what the hell is going on in her head? (Dunno what else to add to this atm, so discuss from here)
Two things about that: a) Predestination paradox. She did all those things because she saw she would do them in the future. It's not she wanted to, it's that she knew she'd do them (Hooray for no free will!). It's also implied/mentioned that the more gruesome stuff about revenge etc. was Santa's idea.
b) She has to choose between dying when she's merely 12 and letting the people who are responsible for it get away with it or living and giving those people their comeuppance. Also, she's not the only one benefitting from her survival: at the end of the Nonary Game, Ace and the Ninth Man are punished, Snake and Clover get closure, Santa gets his sister back, Junpei gets his childhood love back, Seven closes the case that has haunted him for the past 9 years and Lotus finds out what happened to her daughters and possibly couples with Seven (hints are there for fan fiction writers, at least)
Also I guess if you went through all that you might have actually went crazy.

Now for a question of my own: Predestination paradox or not, how the heck did Zero and Santa manage to kidnap all those people? The element of surprise and that super sleeping gas help a lot, sure, but what about people like Ace and Fat Investor Captain Guy? Aren't those still rich and probably protected in their daily life in some way?
NoHitter

Sinistro wrote:

Now for a question of my own: Predestination paradox or not, how the heck did Zero and Santa manage to kidnap all those people? The element of surprise and that super sleeping gas help a lot, sure, but what about people like Ace and Fat Investor Captain Guy? Aren't those still rich and probably protected in their daily life in some way?
Sadly, the game creators failed to explain that. We just know that the 7 participants (not counting Santa and June) agreed that they were alone and knocked out by some white gas (which I assume is the same one Ace's company produced.) We can assume that's the same method they used for the 2 others. (Cap and the fake Snake)
Topic Starter
YGOkid8

Sinistro wrote:

not to mention maybe Nijisaki and Kubota as well? Pretty good question, but that's assuming they're 1) still rich and 2) still a part of Cradle Pharmaceutical and stuff. To be honest, I have no idea (Sinistro, you're really the only one who's been putting a lot of thought into things and having the best answers lol :)). But that being said, to kidnap the people, Zero and Santa would've had to break into the other peoples' homes and stuff. I'm interested in how they did that in the first place. It's not like they had ninja training or hired highly skilled professionals to do it, but alas, we can only ponder......

Also NoHItter, loving the DP :D
heintsi
Ah the amount of spoiler bars, this must be awesome game.. Can't take it anymore.. Need a way to emulate it to play :D seems to work~

EDIT: I already knew a bit what kind of game this is going to be, but it has already surprised me alot, can't stop playing. It's really awkward to stop playing at the point where i have to choose which door to go through and then go to sleep.. well gotta do that. It addicts me almost as much as phoenix wrights. Continuing tomorrow.
HakuNoKaemi
Completed that and really liked story with it's twist and character

Snake is just too cool at the Safe Ending, that scene made me almost cry, like the final Sudoku,i was crying so much for the moment... because it was a Morphogenetic Sorrow

EDIT: they answered the questions fan's asked, go to the game site
http://www.aksysgames.com/999
Sinistro
Oh, thank you very much for that link! I didn't think they'd answer questions like that. I'm also happy that I've interpreted things more or less correctly, although I didn't expect the answer that Junpei looks for Akane the rest of his life, but never finds her. Given that the creator leaves hints that Akane has an even larger plan in store, how could that not involve Junpei? I dunno, it seems a little anticlimactic and out of left field for me (not to mention sad after the game ends on a seemingly happy note), so much so that initially I thought he was joking.

And on a less important note, he answers "what is the point of Alice?" with "to explain Ice-9". As far as I remember, "Ice-9" didn't really have any impact on the plot...I mean, if it was removed as a plot element, the game would still make sense. So that's a weird answer as well.

Q: "is there any significance for the 8 digit combination number for the coffin?" "If you take the number 14383421 and multiply it by 9, you get 129450789. What do all those numbers mean? I'll leave that up to your interpretation." Haha, clever. 3=9 and 6=0, their real bracelet numbers.

Asked about the characters' measurements: "All I know is that Lotus has big boobs. That's for sure. She used to live in Silicon Valley, but her boobs are not filled with silicon. They are ALL NATURAL." lol, especially @ caps.
Topic Starter
YGOkid8
and thus is discussion is rendered completely useless (almost). oh well, at least it's good to know that Ace killed Junpei in the sub ending. Thank god he wasn't all like "Who do you think? I'll let you decide for yourself" kinda thing.

Sinistro wrote:

Q: "is there any significance for the 8 digit combination number for the coffin?" "If you take the number 14383421 and multiply it by 9, you get 129450789. What do all those numbers mean? I'll leave that up to your interpretation." Haha, clever. 3=9 and 6=0, their real bracelet numbers.
really? i thought it would've made more sense if it was santa (3) = 9, june (6) = 0, therefore it goes 123456789? But I agree, very clever :)

Sinistro wrote:

Asked about the characters' measurements: "All I know is that Lotus has big boobs. That's for sure. She used to live in Silicon Valley, but her boobs are not filled with silicon. They are ALL NATURAL." lol, especially @ caps.
that was just lol.
also, foreshadowing at sequel? can't wait ~

and damn it, i knew they were holding questions at the website, yet I didn't ask? i am dumb T.T

EDIT: On a side note... -sniff-... it's great to see this thread come back alive... -sniff-...
Sinistro
Thank god he wasn't all like "Who do you think? I'll let you decide for yourself" kinda thing.
Yeah, he was surprisingly forthright, although I guess there would be little point in telling people to ask you questions and then non-answering them.

i thought it would've made more sense if it was santa (3) = 9, june (6) = 0, therefore it goes 123456789? But I agree, very clever :)
uhhh, that's what I said
Topic Starter
YGOkid8
oh, really? o.o......
damn, I could've sworn you had it the other way.
this calls for head desk -thump thump-
NoHitter
Wow. That sure answered a lot of questions.
Topic Starter
YGOkid8
yeah. personally, i liked Sinistro's theory with the Locke's Socks and Ship of Theseus a lot better, but meh.
Topic Starter
YGOkid8

holy shit
holy shit
HOLY MOTHER FRIGGIN' SHIT
Quaraezha
That really sounds interesting.
I'm poor so I'll go get the ROM for my NDS Emulator
don't hate me ;w;
Topic Starter
YGOkid8
you talking about 999 or the video i linked? o.o
Quaraezha
999 I mean xD
didn't watch the video :U
Topic Starter
YGOkid8
oh okay :P well i live in australia, so i had to download the rom for 999 as well \:D/
Gomo Psivarh

YGOkid8 wrote:

oh okay :P well i live in australia, so i had to download the rom for 999 as well \:D/
No ds games released in Australia? :(
Topic Starter
YGOkid8
there are, but a lot of games don't make it here. that or they come here really, really late
Sinistro
DAAAYUMN, a sequel? Didn't know it sold so well.

One more game I'd like to play on the 3DS, then. But the 3DS library sucks at the moment... :/

Note to developers: Make about 10 more games I'd like to play on the 3DS so I can warrant buying it. A new Trauma Centre is a no-brainer. Gogogo.
Azure_Kite
I agree; Trauma Centre for sure.

At the moment my definite TO BUY list includes Cave Story, Monster Hunter 3G and 4, as well as Devil Survivor overclocked, if it comes out. Never forgetting about Wright vs Layton, either.

This makes me happy; Very very happy.
Topic Starter
YGOkid8
that's the thing with the 3DS. the 3D and everything else is a gimmick, but then there's all these pooting awesome new games coming to it.. but then there's also a lot of crap games out there as well :/ why so complicated
Gomo Psivarh
Waiting Golden Sun 4 and new Castlevania on 3DS :(
NoHitter
@Sequel
I will buy a 3DS the moment this is released.
This could be the game that makes the "I'll buy the 3DS now that there are games I like" scale tip.
show more