forum

osu! Public Release b1696

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
Time for another release, this time with a heavy focus on taiko mode improvements! LuigiHann and I have been working to get the default osu! skin for taiko completed, so now we don't need to rely on the extra taiko skin for it to be playable! Read on for screenshots and more details.

1. New countdown and comboburst (by SaruMaru) sprites

2. New original taiko hitcircle and score explosion sprites

3. New taiko comboburst format -- now appears above the drum rather than on top.

4. Improvements to spinner display in taiko mode -- the spinner is now transparent, and also disaplayed on the taiko timeline.

5. The taiko scrolling background now changes state when you miss.

6. Fully original taiko hitsounds for both normal and soft sample sets.
  7. Fully skinnable taiko mode sprites, separate from osu! skin sprites (more details coming soon).
  8. Removed some elements in taiko mode that didn't make sense (countdown/warning arrows).
  9. Overall improvements to Kiai Time (more accurate pulsing display, less intense glow).
  10. Added localisation updates for all languages. Options screen should now have relatively complete localisations!
  11. Removed catmull/linear slider types. All sliders from now on will be bezier (use multi-part/red points for linear).
  12. Highlights are logged to #highlight even when they occur in the active channel.
  13. Editor option to open .osb file in notepad.
  14. Taiko skin update to v6 (with a much more authentic look) thanks to LuigiHann.

15. Bug fixes ahoy!
Hopefully something in this list excites you :)!

Things that you may want to know

If you liked the authentic taiko skin and it is not being used anymore, go to Options, Skin Select, and tick the "Use Taiko Skin for Taiko Mode" checkbox.

If you want to make linear sliders now, you can still do so by double-clicking for sharp corners. The slider guide point will turn red as an indication (you can also ctrl-click an existing point).

Known Issues (will be fixed next build)
  1. Chinese font looks ugly.
  2. The authentic taiko skin update had a problem with hitsound filenames for the first hour. If you updated in this time, please remove the space before the .wav from the following hitsound filenames:
    1. taiko-soft-hitwhistle.wav
    2. taiko-soft-hitfinish.wav
    3. taiko-normal-hitnormal.wav
yeahyeahyeahhh
yay for taiko patch
LuigiHann
Taiko skin updated as well. Lot of fun doing this version
Rena-chan
Lookin' awesome, yo.
dkun
Exciting. Maybe I should try out Taiko again.. :P
Ibuki Suika
:D
Great Job ppy
Sander-Don
.......you can change the taiko graphics....right? cause that is....... i would like authentic over this honestly....
nevermind, didn't see the update ><
Topic Starter
peppy

peppy wrote:

1. Fully skinnable taiko mode sprites, separate from osu! skin sprites (more details coming soon).
  2. Taiko skin update to v6 (with a much more authentic look) thanks to LuigiHann.
Shino

peppy wrote:

New original taiko hitcircle and score explosion sprites

Yay for new hitcircle *cheers*
Ballance
I love the taiko skin :D
Tatsuo
Awesome! Bug fixes!

Just a bit saddened to see the removal of the other slider types. Oh well.
Topic Starter
peppy

I_Tatsuo_I wrote:

Just a bit saddened to see the removal of the other slider types. Oh well.
You can achieve linear using bezier sliders. Cat-mull is so ugly it isn't needed anymore. Nothing lost ;).
Tatsuo
Oh I know. I wanted to show some love for the slider types. Heh.
TKiller
inb4 people not reading manuals start asking how to make a linear slider

That new comboburst is cute.
An-Don
<3 ppy and luigihan awesome :D
lepidopodus
Hmm, I should have set to force TnT skin in my Taiko maps, as normal/soft new hitsound for Taiko might not suit the music well, as I mapped with TnT hitsound when I mapped Taiko map before.

Otherwise, I'm really looking forward to this new update. Gameplay itself isn't that much problem but Taiko mapping will be changed a lot.

EDIT: I think we don't need to worry about. It's nice indeed.
Mara
Holy shit, both of them (default and taiko) looks awesome. Gonna try them once I get home.
Lunah_old
Awesome skins, nice job to the team !

No-Informations about flashlight ? x_x
Topic Starter
peppy
For the time being flashlight is still a no-go, sorry.
Galkan
I can say nothing but "Awesome work, guys!"
show more