Total Posts
show more
ncuh
Awesome!
You need to add the ability to search in 2 Queues, like !q e,s
Topic Starter
Ascendance

SOLID771 wrote:

Btw is there a way to view your own ''elo?'' I can only see the top 100.
!rank
Blankz_
So im thinking of changing my account name soon. i already registered. will it mess with my account on the osusql site?
Blankz_

SOLID771 wrote:

But that means the ladder is all about consistency. I almost always have better acc then my opponent, sometimes gaps over 10%, but they win because they spammed harder. Seems a bit unfair.
Combo = Life on score v1
Braediac
Love the Concept but the execution seemed quite poor to me personally. I try and play Standard because it seems to be the right difficulty for me and beginner is too low for me. This is all fine but i don't enjoy going into games and finding someone who is rank #5 worldwide in standard and is rank 1000. To me this just ruins any competition as higher (Osu!) ranked players can still play against those that are rank 60k and up. There needs to be some restrictions on who can play what difficulty. The expert difficulty seems a bit out of reach so i would suggest lowering it to maybe 6-7k and the making that number the cap to playing standard. Beginner also has its fair share of problems. The cap to play beginner is around 13k if i remember correctly and that seems a bit too high. If a player can reach 13k in rank, they can play 5* maps. The ranking system seems like a good idea but with all these problems, it seems like its unnecessary. This is all just my personal opinion on how things can be improved so it can be a much more enjoyable experience for all people :)
Blackheart

Braediac wrote:

Love the Concept but the execution seemed quite poor to me personally. I try and play Standard because it seems to be the right difficulty for me and beginner is too low for me. This is all fine but i don't enjoy going into games and finding someone who is rank #5 worldwide in standard and is rank 1000. To me this just ruins any competition as higher (Osu!) ranked players can still play against those that are rank 60k and up. There needs to be some restrictions on who can play what difficulty. The expert difficulty seems a bit out of reach so i would suggest lowering it to maybe 6-7k and the making that number the cap to playing standard. Beginner also has its fair share of problems. The cap to play beginner is around 13k if i remember correctly and that seems a bit too high. If a player can reach 13k in rank, they can play 5* maps. The ranking system seems like a good idea but with all these problems, it seems like its unnecessary. This is all just my personal opinion on how things can be improved so it can be a much more enjoyable experience for all people :)
That's a general problem with such ladders when they just start out. You see, the osu!ranking isn't used by the ladder, only the SQL!ranking is used. That is already the first reason: The SQL!ranking is still pretty unstable because the ladder just started. Then, the ladder still lacks a playerbase, so it might have no other option than to match you against someone with a vastly different rank. Both of these problems will be naturally solved as time progresses.

For the ranking restriction, ranking doesn't too closely show which maps you're able to play. I'm rank 40k. I know that there are many people around that rank that can play the standard pool. And even though I can FC most of the begginers pool, when I try the maps from the standard pool I just die. That's why you can't just narrow the ranking corridor for the different pools down - you'll end up banning players from the lower pools when they're not yet ready to play the higher pools.
VirtualMuffin
People who say beginner is too easy have you looked at your rank lately?

I struggle to pass some of the picks in beginner especially hr and I'm rank 50k with 2 years on the game. Probably should rename that. I've not only just begun!

I think the current beginner pool should be standard. Standard should be a new pool below expert. And a new beginner pool.

If not possible rename beginner. Someone who has been on osu for a month (a beginner) isn't gonna pass the stuff in the pool atm unless they're a really quick learner.

Also you can ignore what I say but that's just from my perspective.
Minhtam

VirtualMuffin wrote:

People who say beginner is too easy have you looked at your rank lately?

I struggle to pass some of the picks in beginner especially hr and I'm rank 50k with 2 years on the game. Probably should rename that. I've not only just begun!

I think the current beginner pool should be standard. Standard should be a new pool below expert. And a new beginner pool.

If not possible rename beginner. Someone who has been on osu for a month (a beginner) isn't gonna pass the stuff in the pool atm unless they're a really quick learner.

Also you can ignore what I say but that's just from my perspective.
But someone who has been on osu! for a month isn't likely to keep playing osu! for the next year, which is not who the SQL is intended for. The Beginner pool features the easiest of the Insane difficulty maps and is targeted for players that are just starting to FC those maps who are looking to transition into tournament play.

Tournament play is for the committed players, not the fleeting ones.
Blackheart

Minhtam wrote:

But someone who has been on osu! for a month isn't likely to keep playing osu! for the next year, which is not who the SQL is intended for. The Beginner pool features the easiest of the Insane difficulty maps and is targeted for players that are just starting to FC those maps who are looking to transition into tournament play.

Tournament play is for the committed players, not the fleeting ones.
I haven't found any statement as to who SQL is intended for. As much as I know, the SQL is intended as a ladder system, nothing more, nothing less. Scratch this if I just missed it, though.

Any way, the way it's currently done is misleading - as VirtualMuffin noted, the beginner pool is unappropriate for osu! beginners. There should indeed be an easier pool, or if it is really intended as an introduction for tournament play (in which case, wouldn't a bot for automated tournaments be a better choice?), the beginner should be renamed at the very least.
tfg50

Braediac wrote:

No... just no... You are overestimating the meaning of pp rank. I'm ranked 1.9k and I'm BARELY able to pass half of the expert picks, if you limit standard to 6k it will turn into fail-fest. Also I have a friend that is rank 30k-40k atm that only plays insanely difficult stuff that can pass harder maps than me. It all depends on the playstyle.

If you keep on playing standard you will be placed on the spot that you deserve, the same is true for everyone else. After you get your rank, you will be matched with people that have about the same rating as you which means no matches against people around 1k rank unless they are throwing to lose rating. That's only true if there are people q'ing for standard ofc, if there isn't anyone close to you the system will match you up with anybody that is q'ing at the moment after a while and even then you should lose few rating points, assuming the system is based on elo.

Also, have you ever watched tournaments? More often than not people have high scores, not just 2-4m scores on a map that is 1k+ combo long.
Topic Starter
Ascendance

M1k0 wrote:

Awesome!
You need to add the ability to search in 2 Queues, like !q e,s
maybe someday!

I think I've said this before but just in case I haven't -

We NEVER intended to use the ranking barriers as a promotion of rank = skill or whatever. They are purely to keep 3 digit players from queuing into beginner and high 5 digit players from queuing into expert. Simple as that, we don't want games ruined. I'm sure beginner players don't want to play vs. rank 900 and Expert players want to actually compete against players of their skill, not a rank 80,000.

We won't now and won't EVER take osu's pp ranking system into consideration when finding matches for our system. Rating will sort itself out eventually, your best bet is to just be patient.
Braediac

tfg50 wrote:

Braediac wrote:

No... just no... You are overestimating the meaning of pp rank. I'm ranked 1.9k and I'm BARELY able to pass half of the expert picks, if you limit standard to 6k it will turn into fail-fest. Also I have a friend that is rank 30k-40k atm that only plays insanely difficult stuff that can pass harder maps than me. It all depends on the playstyle.

If you keep on playing standard you will be placed on the spot that you deserve, the same is true for everyone else. After you get your rank, you will be matched with people that have about the same rating as you which means no matches against people around 1k rank unless they are throwing to lose rating. That's only true if there are people q'ing for standard ofc, if there isn't anyone close to you the system will match you up with anybody that is q'ing at the moment after a while and even then you should lose few rating points, assuming the system is based on elo.

Also, have you ever watched tournaments? More often than not people have high scores, not just 2-4m scores on a map that is 1k+ combo long.
My thoughts were more to try and get those who can play the expert difficulty maps and who can easily FC every standard map over and over again out of the standard difficulties so people aren't constantly facing against people who just want to look good on a ranking chart. If you are 2k rank and can't play expert but can play standard then more power to you. But when I face against people who just FC everything in standard i can generally assume they can pass the maps in the expert pool which is what i was trying to get rid of. OR there needs to be more queues like 1 between beginner and standard and 1 between standard and expert.
Topic Starter
Ascendance
The main post has been updated with the new map pools! Enjoy!
Blackheart

Braediac wrote:

My thoughts were more to try and get those who can play the expert difficulty maps and who can easily FC every standard map over and over again out of the standard difficulties so people aren't constantly facing against people who just want to look good on a ranking chart. If you are 2k rank and can't play expert but can play standard then more power to you. But when I face against people who just FC everything in standard i can generally assume they can pass the maps in the expert pool which is what i was trying to get rid of. OR there needs to be more queues like 1 between beginner and standard and 1 between standard and expert.
I said so once before: If someone can FC everything in one pool, then that doesn't mean he can survive the more difficult pools. I can FC almost everything in beginners, and I just die in standard. By playing beginner, I naturally rise to the top of the ladder, even though that's not the reason I play in beginner rather than standard.
Minhtam
To whoever selected and approved the new Beginner mappool: I hate all of you.
Topic Starter
Ascendance
Also, be sure to welcome our newest additions to the team, ThePooN to programming team, and Taeyang to map selection :)
Luna-
I like the new Standard map pool a lot more than the previous one, gj
chainpullz

Braediac wrote:

Tournament performance is usually about consistency. Just because such players can pass the expert maps doesn't mean they necessarily have any semblance of consistency on them. I don't agree that players should be forced into the lowest bracket that they can no longer maintain consistency on.

If you only want a ranking system that measures "skill" compete in the pp ranking system as the tournament ranking system is clearly not for you. If you want to compete in a more skill-blind difficulty capped tournament setting with a ranking system that measures "consistency" then this is the place to be.
ImNotAnAsian
Wll this be able for mania? And if it does, will be 4k and 7k separated?
Topic Starter
Ascendance

ImNotAnAsian wrote:

Wll this be able for mania? And if it does, will be 4k and 7k separated?
not in the near future, but when we do, yeah theyll be separate.
Mirt
Just had a game and it was kinda of fun... But I lost 5-0 because I was up against a rank 1500?? It would probably be really hard to create but if you were able to go up against people around your rank it would be so much better and much more enjoyable for both parties participating. It kind of reminds me of playing a game of DOTA, League or CSGO in ranked where they are far better than you. I fail to see the point of even trying in that case.
MostDakka
I can fc everything in the beginner pool and i cant even pass most of the standard pool. Thats why i hope this will get more people in so there will be more demand of something between beginner and standard.
Seto Kousuke
Congratulations thepoon and taeyang! <3 <3
Nezzar

weird bug, but I got the host of the room, lolz
Topic Starter
Ascendance
We've added three more map selectors as well to ensure the upcoming quality of the maps.

Please welcome Giralda, Yuii-, and Regraz! :D
Skyrovania
This looks really interesting. Gonna start playing these for a while and see how it goes :)
NyarkoO
Really well made!

Can't wait for the future improvements!
Acuiasa
So much fun!
Radox1988
Wow this ladder system looks cool!
Problem is just that as a true beginner there is no way I can play 4* Maps :(
chickeneric
3 senya maps and 2 nekomata master+ maps in standard pool!? Is this heaven?
Yauxo

Minhtam wrote:

You are very welcome. Bring some roses next time too, then we'll have a nice valentines dinner!
Minhtam

Yauxo wrote:

Minhtam wrote:

You are very welcome. Bring some roses next time too, then we'll have a nice valentines dinner!
With chocolate?
Yauxo

Minhtam wrote:

Yauxo wrote:

With chocolate?
Lovely!
Pink Lolita
my name contains a filtered word but I can't change it, and the bot wont let me reregister with a different name, what do I do??
Topic Starter
Ascendance

Pink Lolita wrote:

my name contains a filtered word but I can't change it, and the bot wont let me reregister with a different name, what do I do??
Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do about it unless peppy changes the word filter on your name, or you change your name ;;
midori_wah
When does registration end? :D
Minhtam

dark_assassin16 wrote:

You can register at any time.
midori_wah

Minhtam wrote:

dark_assassin16 wrote:

You can register at any time.
Until you close?