forum

PaRappa the Rapper thread

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Patcheresu
Start conversation on the one game that may responsible for Ouendan's very existence, as well as the button-based rhythm game genre. All you need to play is a PlayStation, a controller, and a little rhythm. And remember, you gotta believe.

This is also a good place to talk about PaRappa beatmaps, but no direct advertising. There are in few (about 5 on this site) and only one or two have been approved EVER. I'll start with an example of both.

I really like these games and the child-safe raps they have. The concepts are very well designed and the concert final stages are always a true test of skill. Sadly, because Sony of America are explosion-loving, money-grubbing bastards there will never be another PaRappa game. Did you know that he was Sony's mascot? Sony of Japan. It's true.

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/21701 This is my first attempt at beatmapping because I love this song and it is fun to perform in any rhythm game. If you've played the games you would have noticed that this song ties in with the best night of PaRappa's life. After spending all that time copying his teacher's techniques and lines, he is now improvising his own lines right on the spot. And he closes off the song all by himself, a first in the entire game. He did a line without anyone's help. He just became a bit more mature.

(Also, Behonkiss, I gave you Kudosu for helping me clean up my beats to help people understand the rhythm. If you can't get the lines' rhythm (which an offset will NOT help) then you are dead. It would feel dreary and boring to do a beatmap where you tried to play the beat of a song like this. Especially when the vocals are nothing like the beat of the song. THIS SONG'S NOTES ARE BASED OFF THE VOCALS. EVERY TIME YOU SEE A BREAK, BE EXPECTED FOR CHANGE. Just listen to the way King Kong Mushi says the line during the break time or just watch a auto play until you understand it. This map is just as hard as the games' actual stage in that regard. IN NO WAY will mastering an instrumental EVER help you in a PaRappa game or stage. Just look at Hair Scare, another map on this site. It's based off the vocals as well because you can't do the instrumentals on these songs.)
LuigiHann
One of my friends is going to dress as Parappa for halloween
WhoAteFred
Ah this game. This was on a demo disk I had, (along with Crash 2 <3) so I played a bit of it. I don't remember being very good at it. Maybe I should find that disk again when I head up to my relatives.
Pokebis
The thread is okay, but this isn't the place to be advertising your beatmap and arguing with someone who modded it here. I think you're also taking things way to seriously. Off of that note, however:

Pretty old, though.
Damo900
Such a GREAT game. I still listen to the music an jive, especially this one:

Topic Starter
Patcheresu

Pokebis wrote:

The thread is okay, but this isn't the place to be advertising your beatmap and arguing with someone who modded it here. I think you're also taking things way to seriously. Off of that note, however:

Pretty old, though.
Perhaps you misunderstood me. I don't want advertising. I stated that. I don't know if it comes off as that but I wanted anyone who comments on PaRappa beatmaps from all across the site to know that mine is based off the lyrics. So the offset will in NO way work. I REALLY don't wanna adjust the timing every 20 seconds or so to match the notes. So if anyone wants to help me on my beatmap or talk about it, take that into consideration.

I've seen the PaRappa Mega64 video. It's okay.
adam2046

Patcheresu wrote:

mine is based off the lyrics. So the offset will in NO way work. I REALLY don't wanna adjust the timing every 20 seconds or so to match the notes.
Nothing you say makes sense to me...

So yeah, Parappa is original and has an awesome soundtrack but the actual rhythm game is just a bit sucky.
Feel like replaying it on my PSP though.
Topic Starter
Patcheresu
Yeah, I really liked the feels of the songs. My top five are:

1. Always Love!(PR2 S8)
2. I Gotta Believe(PR1 S6)
3. Food Court (PR2 S6)
4. Fire! Fire!(UJL S2)
5. Toasty Buns!(PR2 SI)
angrychameleon
NOOOOOO i suck at this parrappa game i have the psp one but still i cant pass the driving test lol
DaddyCoolVipper

Patcheresu wrote:

I've seen the PaRappa Mega64 video. It's okay.
In the osu! forums there is a thread
OP can't get this game outta his head
Somebody links a funny prank,
It'll make ya laugh, no need to thank
He's seen the video, "It's okay...
but jokes like that are child's play!
I'll show them some songs with style
It'll change the subject and make fans smile!"
No nostalgia, only tunes
English language, no moonrunes
Otaku Culture are gonna be pissed,
"Don't insult our language!!" with a clenched fist