forum

[Archived] Mouse Cursor feels slow

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Dabina
Okay, I know this has already been mentioned several times before.
I've tried solving it, such as turning off my mouse sensitivity accelaration, changing the fps limiter, but nothing's changed.
Maybe I did it wrong, who knows.

So, specifically my issue is when playing osu! in-game my mouse cursor tends to feel slow.
Like, imagine stirring up a pot of hot mashed potatoes with a wooden spoon, that's what the cursor acts like.
Anyway, I think this started after one update that came out like a month ago maybe. I disabled video as well as storyboard, I turned off all executable systems (except for osu!, of course), even some minor programs running in the background via Task Manager.

The only time this doesn't happen is when I'm in the Main Menu/Song Selection, pause the game or when there's a break while playing.

My mouse isn't that bad either, honestly. MSIP REI FNC HPM GW01https://fccid.io/MSIP-REI-FNC-HPM-GW01 It's kind of uncomon, though.

Part of the cause might be my laptop itself. It's kinda cheap.
Here are the specs http://puu.sh/lRLsK/edf99e51ec.png.

So yeah, to sum it all up; How do I fix this? Help would be much appreciated!
If I missed anything, please tell me.

Note: This is my first time posting a thread on a forum. Like ever. If I did something wrong might as well let me know about that, thanks.

osu! version: 20151202.3 (latest)
Xelinn
Turn off/on your raw input. I recommend playing with this but if u don't want to there's no problem ;)
tripleblue
Turn off/on raw input and goto windows mouse settings and disable/enable mouse acceleration. most people prefer playing without for consistency.
Topic Starter
Dabina
Well, as I mentioned I already did that. The problem is I don't see any difference,
it doesn't get rid of the sluggishness and it's kind of hard to get used to a new sensitivity, since it doesn't match with your old sensitivity.
Here's my mouse sensitivity, in case you're interested. http://puu.sh/lSD6X/92a3631c4f.jpg My raw input is 2.26x.

EDIT: Okay, I guess it does help. But how do I regulate my mouse sensitivity back to my prior one?
TheVileOne
2.26 is high for in game sensitivity. Does your mouse drivers allow you to change the DPI? I suggest modifying that instead of osu's sensitivity option.

As for the sluggishness, it most likely isn't related to a game update itself. You can go back to stable fallback to confirm this if you want. I want to say it has something to do with the polling rate of you mouse. It could be other things though.

If you use unlimited fps and go into the menus, osu! will limit your fps. Your computer could be overheating on unlimited.
Topic Starter
Dabina
That's the thing.
My mouse doesn't have a driver, and I can't find one online. I'm not exactly sure if there is a universal driver for gaming mice (excl. Microsoft hardware).
I'm getting a G400s Mouse for Christmas however, which has drivers I think. I figured that out not long after I posted this. I'll just see if I can get it to work with the new mouse. Merry Christmas, everyone! :)

EDIT: Fallback lags for me, therefore makes playing a bit more annoying.
My mouse movement differes from whichever FPS cap I use, with 120 being the slowest but stablest and Unlimited being just a little more smooth but a too fast.
Topic Starter
Dabina
Well, I got the mouse. And sadly it still feels the same.
At first it actually felt better, but after trying out a map (Specifically this one, last diff https://osu.ppy.sh/b/592367), where I knew I'd always get
the same result nothing changed.

Again, I'm using the G400s Logitech Optical Gaming Mouse. I set the DPI to match with my old mouse
(550, no acceleration or raw input. My actual DPI should be around 575, I don't know how to set itthat way, though. http://puu.sh/m7pFk/70f87bfb85.jpg).

I really don't know what I'm doing wrong, or what I'm missing. Perhaps it's just my laptop, I've no idea.
TheVileOne
Why do you have the polling rate on the lowest setting? The higher your polling rate the more accurate your mouse will move.
Topic Starter
Dabina

TheVileOne wrote:

Why do you have the polling rate on the lowest setting? The higher your polling rate the more accurate your mouse will move.
Oh, wait. So what exactly am I supposed to do, I'm kinda lost.

EDIT: Well, I can't really tell anymore but I think it's gotten better to the point where trying to aim isn't as annoying anymore.
This whole thread must have been a nuisance. I'm a mess when it comes to stuff like this. Thanks for the help, though! :D
Topic Starter
Dabina
Apparently having raw input turned off makes my mouse cursor's movement a lot whackier.
VeilStar
Does running osu! in fullscreen (actually having the fullscreen setting enabled) vs windowed mode make a noticable difference in this nonsensical cursor movement behaviour?
Topic Starter
Dabina

VeilStar wrote:

Does running osu! in fullscreen (actually having the fullscreen setting enabled) vs windowed mode make a noticable difference in this nonsensical cursor movement behaviour?
Oh, wow. Holy crap, it actually does. It fixed my problem! Now I just need to get used to holding this thing.
I always thought Fullscreen makes everything lag even more.
Welp, thanks for telling me that anyway!
Tuckie
I'm Having a similar issue ever since yesterday my cursor seems really slow compared to what it usually is. I've tried updating drivers and still nothing and i've tried using my mouse to see if possibly it was just my tablet and it still is the same with mouse. Also I'm using fallback, average fps 800+, Unlimited, Full screen 1360x768, Tablet Ctl 480
Topic Starter
Dabina
Yeah, looks like I have it again.
VeilStar
Moved back to Help from Resolved Issues.
I'm kinda busy at the moment so don't expect a reply from me for the time being.
Topic Starter
Dabina

VeilStar wrote:

Moved back to Help from Resolved Issues.
I'm kinda busy at the moment so don't expect a reply from me for the time being.
Sure.