forum

Why kiai time?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
rafealfrank
Actually,I think sometimes kiai time will reduce our playing fun and may be harmful to eyes,but unfortunately,we can't delete kiai time like SB or skin,we can't also set it in option just like combo burst or combo fire.
I asked some of my friends who have already ranked some maps,they told me this is necessary because if you don't,your map will be unranked.since that,I hope in the future we can delete kiai time like delete SB and skin,or we can set it in option,it's not a technical question,right?
Anyone agree with me?
Rolled
A lot of people agree. But more people don't agree, which is why there is not and will not be a toggle.

ps there has been maybe 30 or 40 other threads identical to this.

Also as far as I know, not having any kiai sections does not make a map unrankable.
James2250

rafealfrank wrote:

I asked some of my friends who have already ranked some maps,they told me this is necessary because if you don't,your map will be unranked.
>_>, no

To be honest it doesn't matter who agrees or not, peppy is never going to change it, he has made that quite clear[lucky:bbf9f][/lucky:bbf9f]
LuigiHann
I'm working towards a solution to this that should please everyone except whiny douches
Xgor

rafealfrank wrote:

we can't delete kiai time like SB or skin,we can't also set it in option just like combo burst or combo fire.
You will not be allowed to remove SB or skin in the future.
Just sayin'
James2250

Xgor wrote:

rafealfrank wrote:

we can't delete kiai time like SB or skin,we can't also set it in option just like combo burst or combo fire.
Just sayin'
Lucky I stopped playing then
(Alot of skins really annoyed me when I used to play)
Topic Starter
rafealfrank

Rolled wrote:

Also as far as I know, not having any kiai sections does not make a map unrankable.
sorry i misunderstand my friends meaning,he means"we should add kiai time in every diff in the same section.
seems like there is no way to solve my question?any compromise idea?

Xgor wrote:

Just sayin'
in fact i seldom delete SB or skin expect they are too shiny to influence my sight.
Jarby

Rolled wrote:

A lot of people agree. But more people don't agree, which is why there is not and will not be a toggle.
More like peppy doesn't agree and that's it.
Sakura
Kiai is blinding when the combo colors are too bright, mappers need to realize that, but sometimes they are too stubborn
IppE
I've never really stumbled to a map where kiai would be blinding ect.

Sure it can be bit distracting at times, but not so much that it would really affect gamepaly imo.

I find videos and SB far more distracting than kiai time x:
Claudia_old

Xgor wrote:

rafealfrank wrote:

Just sayin'
so then what will people do when they play taiko with maps that have custom skins and extremely obnoxious SB's?
Haneii

Xgor wrote:

Just sayin'
......I don't like most custom ctb fruits >_<
Derekku

E-Hooker wrote:

so then what will people do when they play taiko with maps that have custom skins and extremely obnoxious SB's?
Skins: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20816
SB: ??
Zekira

Derekku wrote:

E-Hooker wrote:

Skins: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20816
So why isn't something done about that yet? >_<
Derekku

Zekira wrote:

So why isn't something done about that yet? >_<
Because there's a plethora of feature requests? :v Posted again in that thread, btw. :p
Numbbi
There is aboslutely nothing wrong with Kiai Time in my opinion.

It has never been blinding or distracting for me.

But on other hand, forced custom skins on some beatmaps (expecially CtB ones) are impossible to play.
ShaggoN
Kiai sucks badly. srsly. But what can we do? >_>
deadbeat

Sakura Hana wrote:

Kiai is blinding when the combo colors are too bright, mappers need to realize that, but sometimes they are too stubborn
example 1?
Kitsunemimi
Real gamers will never be blinded by anything.
anonymous_old

Rolled wrote:

T-T-T-TRIPLE NEGATIVE!

If kiai is blinding, you're doing it wrong. Either your monitor is poorly calibrated, or the mapper incorporated very bright elements (via storyboard or spinner) in conjunction with kiai during a mostly-dark map to introduce exorbitant amounts of contrast.

The only two objective problems I have seen with kiai are the following:
  1. Mapper places notes under the kiai streams (in the Z-order). This causes notes to be covered by kiai madness, making the map more difficult to read. Combine this with white notes on a light background and you have yourself a winner. This is especially a problem when playing Hard Rock, because it's often unintentional (as it seems mappers often don't love their maps enough to play it excessively with various styles and mods).
  2. Mapper places brightly-coloured notes on a light background directly behind a medium-length spinner. Combined with the shader effects and #1 above, this causes the note to be almost invisible, as depicted in this screenshot. (Note: The note was a pale yellow. The note was 1/2 after the end of the spinner, at 200 BPM (or more?). As you can see, the spinner is almost done (~400ms from completion). It's nearly impossible to notice the hit circle while playing, especially if you're concentrating on the spinner. And yeah, I rock at spinning.)
As you can see, these two issues can be resolved through play testing, both on the mapper's part and on a player's part. The example I gave of the latter issue was of a pending map, and the mapper (Rolled) happily (?) corrected the issue. Presumably, Rolled and Larto didn't catch the problem because they don't have all of the osu! graphical settings enabled.

In all other cases (I believe), kiai is a "distraction" to everyone and "degrades" everyone's gameplay. I sometimes blame my faults on kiai, and I assume that's what most people do. Suck it up and get better, and l2play.
Rukario
Play 'em of strager.

IMO kiai is only annoying when people place notes under the fountain which is stupid (corners)
Otherwise in CTb with hidden it can be pretty useful.
Just sayin'
ShaggoN
I still forgot to mention lags made by kiai. aaand. fountain are cool. but blinking notes fffff-
Natteke
I'm not a big fan of kiai either. It's ok to have it but NOO IT'S IN THE MAIN MENU :<
Colin Hou

Natteke wrote:

I'm not a big fan of kiai either. It's ok to have it but NOO IT'S IN THE MAIN MENU :<
I'd like to see a switch for KIAI in the future, at least for the MENU ONE.

EDIT: T T
Derekku

Colin Hou wrote:

Natteke wrote:

Already denied by peppy. ;D
Zetta
I'm a little curious as to WHY peppy won't allow an option to toggle it on or off.

I know it makes maps flare and stand out, and I don't think it blinds people TOO much if at all but surely it couldn't hurt to put in this option?

There are also a LOT of people who paly osu on sub-par computers and kiai time slows them down tremendously. I enjoy kiai time a lot, if I had the option I'd keep it on, but there have been some exceptions where I may momentarily want to switch it off, such as when kiai activiates and there's a light colored note inside the kiai "splash" causing me to not see it at all.
RemmyX25
And here goes yet another lap around the argument track.
Kitsunemimi

Colin Hou wrote:

Natteke wrote:

Main menu kiai is the most awesome though!!! It's not even distracting or ugly or anything!

Plus, kiai was never meant to be overly blinding or stupid or anything. It's just another element that was poorly mapped; the same as rapid-fire spinners or overly used etnas or.... even bad spacing. Also, I probably just mentioned some totally random mapping techniques that are only annoying to me, but you know what I'm saying.
Claudia_old
some maps with kiai make me go holy fuck, that shouldn't be allowed.

but main menu kiai is cute
Ibuki Suika
Every day:
Open OSU!→Choose songs→Edit mod→Open song folder→Del all png flie→ada new folder and take SBfolder in it
→Change BG full of Gray→Start to play this song^^
Derekku

wuliang wrote:

Every day:
Open OSU!→Choose songs→Edit mod→Open song folder→Del all png flie→ada new folder and take SBfolder in it
→Change BG full of Gray→Start to play this song^^
FYI: Soon you won't be able to do that.
Ibuki Suika
I wait OSZ2 long time```` :o
Jarby
osz2 is a conspiracy theory.
ShaggoN

Jarby wrote:

osz2 is a conspiracy theory.
Totally indeed
HentaiTei
Everytime I play map with jump or a long stream and when the kiai time is on I got blind. :evil: