forum

disable starring WIP maps [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
jericho2442
well starring a map was originally meant to mean that the map in your eyes is "rankable" and so you knock its priority up.

a map in WIP is auto not rankable otherwise it would be in pending, i do fail to see the reason why ppl can star maps in WIP (and DO ALOT)

i kno this is only a small problem with the starring system, but tbh i kinda think disabling the ability to star a map untill it reaches pending is a good idea

well lemmie kno if you agree ppl ;)
Jarby
Something like that. Support.
Rukario
Support.
I mean if it's still in Progress why starring it?
Card N'FoRcE
I think that depends on the kind of "WIP" state.

Some maps are WIP because they're incomplete or missing quite a bit of elements (SB/Skin) and that's totally a WIP.

But some WIP maps are there just waiting for something minor, to avoid being confused for a full-completed beatmap (i have one in this kind of "WIP" state atm).

I would be ok only for the first case, but not really. The problem is about the users shooting stars meaninglessly imho.
Topic Starter
jericho2442
if a map is missing even one tiny thing what the mapper wants in it, how is that map in a "rankable" state

stars are not for half done or even 95% done maps, there for 100% complete maps so that ppl can show there support to getting the map ranked

i kno the random star shooters are a bigger problem, but thats something we cant do anything about :(
adam2046
inb4 people start uploading to Pending just so they can get stars.
Card N'FoRcE
I get your point jericho, but how is people supposed to know that? I can put a map in pending anyway even if it's not really 100% complete because that 95% you're talking about would be perfectly rankable anyway.

That's what i mean, some maps are in WIP just to avoid that.

EDIT: tl;dr'd by adam
Shiro
best idea ever

1000000% support
Topic Starter
jericho2442
@ Card N'FoRcE

that is the mappers responsibility to respect the rules of the forum,

its impossalble to stop ppl acting how they want and abusing the way stuff works.

but its also not a valid reason to not impliment such a change
Gabi

jericho2442 wrote:

well starring a map was originally meant to mean that the map in your eyes is "rankable" and so you knock its priority up.
what?

Anyways i can't say i support it, this would be really annoying if you were making a marathon/collab that only has 1 diff in the mapset. You would constantly have to ask a BAT to move it to pending everytime you upload the map for a little change, or when someone mods it and wants to "star" it afterwards.

I know this request is because you want to stop people from going "starred!!~~~!!" on unfinished maps like that, and i 100% support you on that, but this won't stop them for shooting stars afterwards anyways. People could always upload their map, and then upload another diff with 1 note in it just to put it in pending :/
Card N'FoRcE
Again, i understand what you mean, but this would be easily bypassed by doing what adam and me said.

Your point is quite legit (starring maps that have not even a complete difficulty is pointless), but it would require a new implementation of the WIP forum and a new set of rules to determine what's actually WIP and what's not.

And again, it can be easily bypassed right now by putting a map to pending even if you miss a guest difficulty and/or a skin/Storyboard.

EDIT: tl;dr: the idea is ok, but it's almost impossible to implement correctly, sadly.
Topic Starter
jericho2442
@Gabi

if you find it too hard to find a bat what will take 10 secs to move a map to pending, then the problem there what you mean is a WHOLE different one, the amount of marathons is small, and the amount of 1 diff approved maps "SHOULD" be small since there's no reason if its short to only have one diff

@Card N'FoRcE

i do agree with you, but you cant base every change made around "but trollers who dont follow rules will just do this anyway"

this would not "fix the problem, but it would cut down on it abit since mappers like me who WONT upload to pending untill its ready would not look at the WIP's they have with stars and get iratated by it

this is not only for the ppl who abuse the system, but for the ppl who DONT want stars on wips. because atm there is no way of stopping ppl from starring wips
ouranhshc

jericho2442 wrote:

this is not only for the ppl who abuse the system, but for the ppl who DONT want stars on wips. because atm there is no way of stopping ppl from starring wips
If you don't want stars on your WIPs then don't upload the map until you are completely done with it.
mm201
No support. The problem of starring random crap exists in both pending and help, so wouldn't be solved by this.

Even if a map is only 80% complete, you should still have a clear idea what direction the mapper is going, and if the map will be worthy of ranking when it's complete.

Star != bubble. A star means the map is well-constructed and enjoyable at its core, and deserving of modding attention (worth getting to a rankable state), even if it still contains flaws.
Topic Starter
jericho2442
@ Ouran

the WIP forum is a good place to upload a map if im doing a collab with ppl "not everyone has msn" its easy for them to post there update in the topic

its also alot easier if i have completed one diff and want some mods on that diff while i make another

there is good reasons to use the WIP forum, what your saying it taking away the meaning of the WIP forum :/

@MM

sigh well i guess thats that :(

i kinda class starring a map as that modder giving "this is a ok o/" maybe im just too strict with the way i star stuff and wont star unless something is rankable

too bad this wont get support and we will have to continue having wip maps packed with stars

but oh well nevermind xD
ouranhshc
not with what you are saying. Basically the only thing you are saying is, "I don't want stars on my WIPs". and Metalmario mad a great point.

EDIT: you know that the people that participate in the collab will probably star the map before it is even finished
mm201

jericho2442 wrote:

too bad this wont get support and we will have to continue having wip maps packed with stars
Not especially. When I upload something to Help, then even after one month in there, it typically only accrues 5 stars or so. It's the same starwhores who get their maps loaded up with stars in Help, and if this was added, they'd just take them to Pending.

Weighted stars is the best, most general fix for this imo.
Derekku
Exactly what MM said *late to this thread*.

Weighted stars and changes to the priority system will fix this, so I really don't see a need to do this.
Kitsunemimi

MetalMario201 wrote:

No support. The problem of starring random crap exists in both pending and help, so wouldn't be solved by this.

Even if a map is only 80% complete, you should still have a clear idea what direction the mapper is going, and if the map will be worthy of ranking when it's complete.

Star != bubble. A star means the map is well-constructed and enjoyable at its core, and deserving of modding attention (worth getting to a rankable state), even if it still contains flaws.
Agree with this. *late to the thread too :( *

Besides, if the map is waiting for sb elements but all the mapping's complete, it can be 80% complete but I can still get in a legitimate mod. It's not like I'd want to search for or keep a record of all the WIP maps that I modded to see when they get moved to Pending just to star it.
deadbeat

Harris73 wrote:

Besides, if the map is waiting for sb elements but all the mapping's complete, it can be 80% complete but I can still get in a legitimate mod.
^ this. i've seen maps come out of pending at get bubble quickly cause of the stars/mods in got while in W.I.P(was in wip cause of SB)
Claudia_old
a bit late to the party, but +support. Rukarioman pretty much summed up my opinion.
James2250
I don't think this needs to be discussed much more but no support due to MetalMario201's point