forum

[Skinning] Separate hitsounds for m1, m2, k1 and k2

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
dung eater
I think it would be good for learning finger control to have audible feedback that distinguishes the finger you used to tap. It would make for fun gameplay (tapping with whatever finger more fun, like a cursortrail for tapping) and help people learn to tap better (instant feedback, you can actually hear exactly how your fingers derp).

Having no sound files for these should default to using the only one for all inputs (all old skins).
Having two files could duplicate the hitsounds for both m1/m2, k1/k2.
* normal-hitclap.wav for m1/k1, normal-hitclap_k2.wav for m2/k2 (this same thing done for each other hitsounds)
Having all four would give you four differend versions of each hitsounds depending on input used (for people who use both tablet/mouse and keyboard).
* normal-hitclap.wav for k1, normal-hitclap_k2.wav for k2, ..._m1 for m1 and ..._m2 for m2 (this same thing done for each other hitsounds)

There should be an option to use just 1 for all if you want to.

Having an option to alter the existing hitsounds (pitch?) to easily make these sounds would be nice, but having the option to add sound files for them separately would be better.

Please support, make alternating sound niec. (Also make 'tap dancing' with audio feedback a possibilty c.c)

SPOILER
Didn't find any other threads about this with a quick search, hopefully this is not a duplicate.

t/362303 similiar, but is about overriding map hitsounds with the same hitsound for each key. this is about having a differend sounding version of each hitsound for each input (or just 2 if having differend hitsounds for m1/m2 and k1/k2 is too much to ask for)
DahplA
As a skinnable sort of thing? Damn, this sounds epic.
Myxo
Hmm but this is quite missing the purpose of hitsounds imo.
The maps are hitsounded for a reason, hitsounding adds a lot of atmosphere to the map and is one of the most important parts of mapping. Sure, you can replace certain hitsound files in your skin, but they will still be related to the map, just the sample will be different.
However, creating four new hitnormals for each sampleset (that would mean 12 new hitsounds to add in total) would mess with the maps we have. Remember what hitsounds are for: to give feedback to the player, that sounds good with the music. Having different hitsounds as hitnormals would not work with that concept.
Endaris

Desperate-kun wrote:

The maps are hitsounded for a reason, hitsounding adds a lot of atmosphere to the map and is one of the most important parts of mapping. Sure, you can replace certain hitsound files in your skin, but they will still be related to the map, just the sample will be different.
However, creating four new hitnormals for each sampleset (that would mean 12 new hitsounds to add in total) would mess with the maps we have. Remember what hitsounds are for: to give feedback to the player, that sounds good with the music. Having different hitsounds as hitnormals would not work with that concept.
Including this as a toggle won't hurt though, as this option basically does the same:

Having such a feature would remind me a bit of identifying playstyle like in Taiko. The hitsounds in Taiko are always the same yet they manage to give proper feedback for every song and I didn't find them unfitting on any map so far yes I didn't play too much Taiko and you can hitsound Taiko now but I think the point still stands
Topic Starter
dung eater
SPOILER

Desperate-kun wrote:

I wouldn't mean there to be new hitsounds, just alternate ones for the existing ones that are used depending on your input.

When you've got normal-hitclap now, you'd have an extra normal-hitclap_k2 that would be used when you use k2 to hit the object. This would make everything you tap sound a bit differend depending on how you tap them. It would be up to the mapper/player to decide if they want to use this feature and how the hitsounds for each key differ. This would work retroactively in older maps, too, if you use a skin with hitsounds for each key.

You could go further and add _m1 _m2 hitsounds.
Yauxo
Im alternating my keys alot and I dont really think that this would work too well, since Im playing to the song, not to the keys I randomly choose. Many songs sound kinda meh-irritating if you use hitsounds that werent carefully chosen for that said song, so that wouldnt really ... feel intuitive or good.
Everyone has a different playstyle and listening to A B A B A B A B streamsounds that dont fit to the song ... meh, not a fan

Sounds more like a gimmick than something we'd actually need.
Bara-
Endaris
Mh the aim is fairly different between these two though.
This one here is about tracking your fingersynchronization and getting feedback while the other one was about introducing taikolike gameplay.
So this one is about feedback and the other one about gameplay. Kind of.
Personally I would have appreciated such an option when I started playing, especially(and tbh only) for replays so I could get an idea if one finger was always late or how my fingers interacted and reacted to mistimed hits of the other finger etc.
I wouldn't want to alter gameplay with such a thing, only add feedback.

But it's true that this isn't a must-have at all...
abraker
Eh this won't do good. If maps were mapped per column (like one instrument on column 1, etc) then it might, but we all know that's not the case.
OsuMe65
It's a mess tbh
Yauxo

abraker wrote:

Eh this won't do good. If maps were mapped per column (like one instrument on column 1, etc) then it might, but we all know that's not the case.
so basically mania?
abraker

Yauxo wrote:

abraker wrote:

so basically mania?
oh whoops thought this was for mania. This would work for standard, but to a certain extent. The only bad case I can think of is that at some points you would be forced to alternate and cause you pressing a key not binded to the desired hit sound. It is an interestibg concept nonetheless.