forum

[invalid] Diet Mode

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
Topic Starter
31Gabe
I was thinking if osu! would ever add a mode called the "Diet Mode". It's made for osu!mania mode, and it is pretty much a calorie-burning tool that keeps track of how many calories you have burnt throughout the game. Calories (in kcal) burn when keys are pressed, but how much the calories burn per key press depend on the mass setting (in kilograms) you have entered. You never fail in this mode, and rather than having "Retry" and "Back To Menu" in the pause screen, they're replaced by "Give In". Picking "Give In" will send you to the Results screen, thinking you have passed the song too early. Due to the fact this is Diet mode, you cannot save replays or scores as it's unranked; however, calorie and time data for Diet Mode is saved. Also, you can compare other osu!mania Diet Mode players around the globe to check how many calories they have burnt since they started Diet Mode.

The Ranking screen displays the time elapsed, the number of calories burnt during the song, the number of calories burnt since the current day began, the number of calories burnt since you started Diet Mode back then, and an equivalent meter. The equivalent meter depends on the setting you use: Workout equivalent or Food equivalent. If Workout equivalent is used, a workout (like Jogging, Step Climbing, Swimming, Push-Ups, Sit-Ups, Weight Lifting, Jump Rope, etc.) is shown with the distance (in meters). If Food equivalent is used, the song calories, the day calories, and the calories since Diet Mode began will be all calculated into food items (i.e. Peanuts, Oranges, Bananas, Cherries, Strawberries, etc.).

If you are just wanting to play for the stable workout flow and not for the complex note presses, there would be a Diet Step mod (only when Diet Mode is activated), as all offbeat (non 1/4th beat) steps are gone. Unfortunately, you'll only burn less calories with Diet Step on.

Diet Mode Settings (in Options) would appear like this:

Mass (kilograms): ???.? kg
Show mass (if using an osu! online account): Yes (mass is shown), No (mass is kept a secret)
Equivalent Meter: Workout, Food
Workout Type (if Workout is chosen): Random (all workouts picked by random), Jogging, Step Climbing, Swimming, Push-Ups, Sit-Ups, Weight Lifting, Jump Rope, etc. (if peppy or other osu! developers add other workout types)
Calorie Burn Type: Free (calories burn on button presses), Regulation (calories only burn if a Rainbow 300/300/200/100/50 is hit)
Corner numbers: Calories (in kcal) burnt, Score
Corner subtitle: Time elapsed, Accuracy
Time elapsed (if Time elapsed is chosen): Song length, Today's Diet Mode time, Time since Diet Mode began
Flanster
Honestly I'm speechless right now... osu!fit?
BoberOfDarkness

LoliFlan wrote:

Honestly I'm speechless right now... osu!fit?
osu!fitness
Shohei Ohtani
honestly I stopped reading after a bit because you have a game mode literally about fruit but your chose osu!mania.

Also, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. . . uhh?! If you're talking about like, actual calories, then like, no. I'm not an expert in physical health, but I'm pretty sure that typing doesn't help you lose weight notably enough to where calories burnt would warrant people wanting to keep track of it.

If you're talking about a theoretical thing, it seems mostly just like a really complex keyclick tracker.
Halogen-
I stopped reading this after realizing it was 31Gabe, simply because he fails to realize that osu!mania isn't DanceDanceRevolution. I'm normally not this blunt/brash, but this is just beyond stupid now.
abraker
What Halogen said. Forget about this being in osu!, this is weird even for a third-party app.
Bara-
It is a good request

If you wanna laugh
XinCrin
How many calories does your fingers have to lose?
abraker
I was curious, so....

XinCrin wrote:

82-122 cal/hour actually and prob more if mashing
Rilene
Let's turn this rhythm game into a fitness game and burn calories off.
Redon
go outside and take a walk
Topic Starter
31Gabe

XinCrin wrote:

The "Diet Mode" is mostly intended for dance mat users. I'm not so sure if Project DIVA controllers would even do well with this mode, but I think arm movement can burn calories.
abraker
Hey everyone I have an idea for a new gamemode: It will be exactly the same as osu!mania, but it will be called osu!DDR and it will be only 4k!
Minhtam
Hey, I'm all for this idea...

All we need is for somebody to create a gigantic floorboard touchscreen so we can play osu with our two feet.
Topic Starter
31Gabe

Minhtam wrote:

Hey, I'm all for this idea...

All we need is for somebody to create a gigantic floorboard touchscreen so we can play osu with our two feet.
Hush it, everyone. The main purpose of the Diet Mode is to keep track of burnt calories during osu!mania mode. Are you insane already?
abraker

31Gabe wrote:

Are you insane already?
Almost, just need a couple more posts.
Minhtam

31Gabe wrote:

Minhtam wrote:

Hush it, everyone. The main purpose of the Diet Mode is to keep track of burnt calories during osu!mania mode. Are you insane already?
Which is exactly the problem.

#1: osu!mania is not the primary game mode, nor is it the most played game mode. Therefore, it's not high priority.

#2: osu!mania was intended to be played with the keyboard, AKA, your 4 to 8 fingers. It is not Dance Dance Revolution, which is intended to be played using the entire body. Hence, calculations would have to be completely different in terms of burning calories through your fingers, which includes intensive research. Remember, Stepmania has something along the lines of a calorie mode, but that's only because they were able to figure out what programming was used in the Workout mode for the Dance Dance Revolution console games. Thus, it was Konami who came up with the system in the first place, which also means it was Konami who put in the research required to accurately calculate the number of calories that are being burned, in proportion to your body mass.

Ergo, in order to properly implement such a "Diet mode", we have to do research on how playing any of the game modes would affect your entire body. That requires researchers who have Master's Degrees minimum, which costs $$$, and peppy is poor. Therefore, this feature is highly unlikely to be implemented. Q.E.D.
IamBaum
Actually i think a "calories meter" would be pretty fun, if i had a DDR Dance Pad.
But i guess since the majority don't have this tool, this would be wasted afford. And yah it's nonsense for Keyboard users, but i doubt that it was meant to be used for them :)
Rilene
As far as I know, you cannot burn enough calories in order to reduce weight by clicking and holding notes.
OzzyOzrock
Someone get this man some mental help. It's overdue.
deadbeat
There isn't enough need for this.
Soul Evans
You honestly think this would be implemented into the game? you can't be serious right? this is NOT some sports game where you have all that shenanigans dude. This game was meant for keyboard players,and 99% does not use mats to play this game. Go uninstall osu! and go play StepMania because this isn't the game you should be playing. Like seriously i can not believe you're actually think this can happen, or maybe you don't think. That's why i'm gonna stop even bothering with you also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dbR2JZ ... ilthyFrank
lazysloth900
Acctualy, if you play Road of Resistance 3k times, you can burn like 100-300cals.
Bara-
Don't bump old marked threads, especially if it's such a useless addition