forum

Hypermobile Fingers

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
abraker
Does anyone here have double jointed fingers? If so, how do you deal with it? Some of my difficulties include my left pointer frequently locking up when trying to do streams or chords on 4k 4.4* or greater. It hasn't affected my higher key play yet, but expecting it to sooner or later.
Full Tablet
I have hypermobile fingers as well. My fingers only lock up if I extend them completely, which is unlikely to happen while playing. If the issue you have is similar, then changing your hand and key position so your fingers are always flexed might help.
Topic Starter
abraker

Full Tablet wrote:

changing your hand and key position so your fingers are always flexed might help.
I wish I could do that, but the hand which the finger locks up on also is the same hand that I damaged a bit after about 40 retries, trying to pass Intersect Thunderbolt back in December 2014. To curl them and strain the hand would cause me pain due to what seems to be a carpel tunnel. Extending my fingers towards the number keys to use a slightly different part of my hand and fingers is the only way I can remedy that.
Level 51

abraker wrote:

Full Tablet wrote:

changing your hand and key position so your fingers are always flexed might help.
I wish I could do that, but the hand which the finger locks up on also is the same hand that I damaged a bit after about 40 retries, trying to pass Intersect Thunderbolt back in December 2014. To curl them and strain the hand would cause me pain due to what seems to be a carpel tunnel. Extending my fingers towards the number keys to use a slightly different part of my hand and fingers is the only way I can remedy that.
It actually sounds like what you probably need is to take a break from osu!, it's only a game dude. Not worth destroying your hands over.
Topic Starter
abraker

Level 51 wrote:

It actually sounds like what you probably need is to take a break from osu!, it's only a game dude. Not worth destroying your hands over.
One does not simply quit osu! Ok, maybe it's that simple, but I'm addicted to it and can't quit. Other than that, that time was just me being stupid. Normally I wouldn't strain myself to the point of permanent damage.
Jole
Having hypermobile joints has not been an issue in terms of actual playability for me. The only bad thing I've suffered from is increased risk of getting RSI due to increased strain on the muscles near joints - which is something I've had to deal with, but am now basically fully recovered from RSI.

I do experience that after about a minute of play, I can crack my knuckles and repeat the process again by playing for another minute. Dunno if that's a thing for everyone but it's kind of annoying to feel that restriction of movement I get from "recharging" that cracking thing.
Topic Starter
abraker

Jole wrote:

The only bad thing I've suffered from is increased risk of getting RSI due to increased strain on the muscles near joints - which is something I've had to deal with, but am now basically fully recovered from RSI.
I actually did not hear about "RSI" before, interesting. Well you have the same condition as me, yet ranked in the 600's. I guess it can be dealt with.