forum

Default Sensitivity vs. Low Sensitivity

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
gman
Hey guys! Currently, I'm using 500dpi and 1.0x (defaullt) sensitivity but I've also tried using 1250dpi and 0.4x sensitivity (which is actually the lowest possible sensitivity in the game) and could not decide which one is better. I felt more accurate with the 1250dpi option, but it also felt kinda weird. So my question is, which sensitivity is better and why? Please don't reply with "just play with whatever you're used to or more comfortable with". What I need to know is what the actual difference between the two sensitivities is. I've hear that using a lower sensitivity than 1.0x gives negative acceleration but I'm not quite sure about that. So I hope that you guys could give me some answers with details. Thanks for reading!

Btw, I'm using a resolution of 1024x768 (4:3), if that helps...
Topic Starter
gman
I just noticed that I put this question in the wrong section... I'm sorry about that. I was supposed to put this in the "Help" section.
I Give Up
If good quality sensor then play 500 x 1.0. If sensor is bad quality then play using 1250 x 0.4 coz low sensitivity on bad sensor mouse can malfunction if you move mouse too fast.
Topic Starter
gman
Great answer, KukiMonster! But if the quality of the sensor is good, why should I use 500dpi? Won't using a higher DPI be beneficial whether the mouse sensor is good or bad?
ZenithPhantasm

KukiMonster wrote:

If good quality sensor then play 500 x 1.0. If sensor is bad quality then play using 1250 x 0.4 coz low sensitivity on bad sensor mouse can malfunction if you move mouse too fast.
That doesn't make sense at all because the absolute sensitivity is still roughly the same. You move your mouse just as much. I wouldn't recommend any sensitivity other than 1.0 because: if your sensitivity is below 1.0 you will get rounding, if your sensitvity is above 1.0 you will get skipping.
Topic Starter
gman

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

KukiMonster wrote:

That doesn't make sense at all because the absolute sensitivity is still roughly the same. You move your mouse just as much. I wouldn't recommend any sensitivity other than 1.0 because: if your sensitivity is below 1.0 you will get rounding, if your sensitvity is above 1.0 you will get skipping.
Can you please explain what "rounding" is? What is the difference between rounding and skipping?
ZenithPhantasm
Rounding occurs when you have something like 500 dpi and 0.75x sens. You move 0.25 inch to the left which translates to 125 dots of movement which is then multiplied by 0.75 that gets you 93.75 pixels of movement. Since monitors cant display fractions of a pixel it rounds up to 94 pixels. When that occurs many times per second (assumiing your mouse runs at 1000hz then it could happen up to 1000 times per second) you get inconsistencies.
Skipping occurs when you use a sensitivity higher than 1.0 because your cursor can no longer move exactly 1 pixel due to the multiplier making the smallest increment of movement more than 1 pixel.
Topic Starter
gman

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Rounding occurs when you have something like 500 dpi and 0.75x sens. You move 0.25 inch to the left which translates to 125 dots of movement which is then multiplied by 0.75 that gets you 93.75 pixels of movement. Since monitors cant display fractions of a pixel it rounds up to 94 pixels. When that occurs many times per second (assumiing your mouse runs at 1000hz then it could happen up to 1000 times per second) you get inconsistencies.
Skipping occurs when you use a sensitivity higher than 1.0 because your cursor can no longer move exactly 1 pixel due to the multiplier making the smallest increment of movement more than 1 pixel.
I get it. So knowing all of this, why do many people still use sensitivity more or less than 1? Like, in FPS games, I see a lot of people using settings like 400dpi and 2,25x sensitivity and still play really good. I know it's just preference but still, if they stuck using 1.0x sensitivity and adjust their DPI, wouldn't they be more consistent after getting used to these settings?
ZenithPhantasm

gman wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

I get it. So knowing all of this, why do many people still use sensitivity more or less than 1? Like, in FPS games, I see a lot of people using settings like 400dpi and 2,25x sensitivity and still play really good. I know it's just preference but still, if they stuck using 1.0x sensitivity and adjust their DPI, wouldn't they be more consistent after getting used to these settings?
FPS games aren't the same as 2D games. FPS aim movement is measured in degrees/radians, 2D games such as osu is measured in pixels of movement. And they probably could be more consistent if they actually cared about their settings but instead they focus on playing the game.
This is mostly in theory, in a practical sense its probably not too much of a difference just use whatever you want as long as its not anything stupid like 6.0x 99999 dpi.
Topic Starter
gman

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

I see. Well, thank you for your answers! This thread can now be closed.