posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Ph0X
LuigiHann

cool easter egg reference that I didn't catch
awp
I only played Portal 2 for like an hour when I first got it, but blasted through it in the past couple days.

I actually found the main-game challenges in Portal 2 (the latter half of the game, once you get to Cave Johnson's area) more challenging than Portal's. I think that was largely due to the open spaces and increased exploration available in Portal 2, so I looked for solutions in the completely wrong places. Net onto the fact that I didn't find any challenge in the original Portal's test chambers. I ran through Portal in one sitting in just under 3 hours, and Portal 2 gave me a few sittings' worth.

Single player campaign did tend to move rather quickly from one idea to the next and there weren't enough chambers that tried to apply everything you'd learned. It was just, here's one mechanic, then here's the next mechanic, then here's the next one, and they're largely isolated, instead of compounded. There's room for much greater complexity there. I also found it funnier than Portal, which was a big plus in my books.

The game was pretty short, but I wouldn't pin this down as a fault: there are no bad bits. Final Fantasy XIII wasn't short. It did have several dozen hours of unrewarding experiences though. Disgaea games are not short. But completion requires hours of grinding. Portal 2 is small, but it is comprised entirely of the juicy bits. Is it worth the full price tag? I'd say more-so: you get a good experience (ymmv) and you didn't have to pay someone to trim all the fat out. This sort of observation is certainly directed more toward those who have much more limited time than those who don't, however, so take it with a grain of salt.

Experimented with co-op mode a bit, but I've only done the first two chapters/chamber-sets there.

Also, I didn't even realize there was an in-game store. So I don't know what people are complaining about that for. It's obviously not intrusive if I can complete the campaign without even being made aware of it.
Topic Starter
Ph0X
@awp: you'll find the coop section of the game slightly more challenging and at some parts far more rewarding. I personally like h ow they split the puzzles up. They put the more mind bugling ones in single player where you're alone and have time to think, but don't want to die and have to restart, whereas they kept the puzzles that require timing and experimenting for coop where you can die and respawn as many times as you want and have fun with your partner.

I found these two mods are two entirely different experiences.

Also, the way you put the length issue of the game was definitely great.
awp
Finished co-op mode a couple days ago. It was fun and the last 2 or 3 puzzles were fairly challenging (they were actually very simple solutions though). I kind of preferred the single-player experience, possibly because it was more showy and possibly because it was just funnier. Though GLaDOS' efforts to pit partners against one another was amusing, it was really the only joke for the most part and ended up serving to be a 3 hour running gag.
Mianki
Guess I'll post this here :P

awp
Saw that at lunch today. 5:30 was brilliant
tastelikecoke
Damn, I wish I could get Coop to work. Playing alone with a bunch of robots and inanimate boxes is kinda tiring :(
Topic Starter
Ph0X
I'm just gonna leave this here:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2ekk8xj.png

Hint: It's all the coop time leaderboards in one page
Mashley
BUMP
Portal 2 'Perpetual Testing Initiative' (level editor) out in about 20 minutes, anyone else pumped? :D
Shiirn
inb4 shiiiiiittty maps

inb4 orgasmic challenging maps

any more details on how the levels/etc will be distrubuted, mash?
Mashley
Through steam workshop, like Skyrim's mods. It's possible this could be integrate in-game more than skyrim was, who knows.
Shiirn
gives people like me who got it through utorrent rather than steam quite the hurdle.
Mashley
Good!
Nharox

Shiirn wrote:

gives people like me who got it through utorrent rather than steam quite the hurdle.
Just buy it then? It's currently a Steam deal and a steal at that price.
Drakari_old

Mashley wrote:

BUMP
Portal 2 'Perpetual Testing Initiative' (level editor) out in about 20 minutes, anyone else pumped? :D
Only if people who have the Xbox 360 version can play user-created maps too.
Shiirn

Nharox wrote:

Shiirn wrote:

Just buy it then? It's currently a Steam deal and a steal at that price.

$6.79

i can do that

shiirn is my steamid, anyone interested in co-op bug me
-Athena-
Portal is what every puzzle game should aspire to be, just intelligent puzzles alone isn't enough to make a great game, you need great presentation to actually keep people interested.
You could also try the approach Catherine took, I'm sure you know what I mean >.>

This thread lacks potatoes and cakes.
Not sure if that's a good thing or not.
ychao
@Shiirn: I've been meaning to co-op the game with someone for awhile now, played the solo ages ago when it was first released.
If you're fine with me I'd be happy to give it a shot. Gotta re-download the game first though. Do lmk.
Shiirn
go for it, add me. I did co-op before but it'd be fun to do it again.
hissatsugirl
i love playing portal but i feel very dizzy when i'm playing it...
Apex_old
untitled
AutoMedic

Apex wrote:

Am I the only person who thinks that Portal 1 is better than Portal 2 after playing both?
Portal 2 is just a sightseeing, plot device with hard puzzles (Although the game is really good)

Portal 1 is a puzzle game

see the difference
Trash Boat
so anyone else plays Portal 2? I just started . Add me for Co-op, I haven't tried it yet.
Remco32
Yeah, about 4 years ago.
Trash Boat
Conversion will be available on Steam. It tells what happened between Portal 1 and 2. CANCELED