forum

Less misses with non-primary finger

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
deletemyaccount
My playstyle is singletapping the 'z' key with my middle finger, also starting triples and streams with this finger.

When I first singletapping, I would singletap with my index finger and would be able to start streams with both fingers because I previous full alternated. Noticing that my middle finger would literally get tired after like one minute, I decided to singletap with my middle finger to increase my stamina.

So it's been give or take >six months since I've made the swap and I have definitely seen improvement. Recently however, I've developed a sense of complacency with my overall play; missing purely because I either forget to tap or make a slight reading error and move the cursor slightly off where the circle is.

These misses are significantly reduced when I singletap with my index finger, which is now my non-primary singletapping finger.

Is there any reason why this is happening?

Thanks for your input.
Endaris
Stop pointing at people with your index finger so much.

Forgetting to tap and slight reading errors are purely concentration based and your index finger is a mere placebo. Sleep more, live healthier.
trebby
I don't see why you switching your primary single tapping finger would affect your reading (that's a matter of aim). Like Endaris said, it's most likely a placebo. You should decide what finger you are going to use primarily by playing autopilot and rework the whole thing.
ZenithPhantasm
Sounds more like conflicting muscle memory than reading problems.
Deva
You just dont alternate enough.
I Give Up
My index finger is also more faster, accurate and more stamina than my middle but I cant start stream or triples wiith it. Ive tried practise for months with it but can never learn it idk why :|
GoldenWolf
Placebo of some sort. Since you're using another playstyle you aren't familiar with, you tend to focus more on the details, which in turns makes you miss less.
Topic Starter
deletemyaccount

GoldenWolf wrote:

Placebo of some sort. Since you're using another playstyle you aren't familiar with, you tend to focus more on the details, which in turns makes you miss less.
This honestly sounds like the most plausible explanation.
I may also try using autopilot for finger control as suggested earlier.

KukiMonster wrote:

My index finger is also more faster, accurate and more stamina than my middle but I cant start stream or triples wiith it. Ive tried practise for months with it but can never learn it idk why :|
I feel the same way, it's like my brain refuses to work when I try to start streams and triples with index finger :(
Lay
There is no chance that I can single tap with my index finger. I can spam fast...ish and can go for a little with my middle, provided my aim doesnt screw me up
but I cannot for the life of me be co-ordinated and end up either doing a single, "z" "x" and thats it OR I press both fingers down at once.

Someone knows the secret and we arent allowed to know
thelewa

Philantropist wrote:

GoldenWolf wrote:

This honestly sounds like the most plausible explanation.
it is the most plausible explanation, hell, I was about to answer the same based on the title alone
Topic Starter
deletemyaccount

thelewa wrote:

it is the most plausible explanation, hell, I was about to answer the same based on the title alone
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this? I'm actively trying to focus more while I'm playing but it's still happening.
Deva
Just use finger youre better with and play more.
Shohei Ohtani
There was a thing I learned at a tuba seminar that tapping time with your alternate foot actually helps improve your time. I guess because youre subconsciously focusing on it more. I dont remember all of the details, but yeah. May be the same with this?
GoldenWolf

Reditum wrote:

There was a thing I learned at a tuba seminar that tapping time with your alternate foot actually helps improve your time. I guess because youre subconsciously focusing on it more. I dont remember all of the details, but yeah. May be the same with this?
I have this friend who used to play ar6 pre 2010 maps with HD and had no real issue to acc them, when he was still new to osu! (been playing for about 2-3 months), his trick was to tap to the song with his left foot, when he wasn't doing that his acc would go to crap instantly
ZenithPhantasm

Philantropist wrote:

thelewa wrote:

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this? I'm actively trying to focus more while I'm playing but it's still happening.
Play more until it becomes mentally engrained. Then it wont take any concious effort.
Play more solves everything 8-)