forum

Enforcing a specific language in a channel

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
lolsucks
Hello, I and most of the users of #romanian chat channel are annoyed by the fact that mods and ops enforce us to speak ONLY romanian language in this channel. While it makes sense not talking other languages in a language specific nationality channel, it doesn't however make sense to forbid talking in English which is considered the international language that almost everyone can speak.

Yes, I have read the rules and there is "8. In language-specific channels, speak the dominant language if you are participating in discussion. Where the language for a channel is not explicitly stated, it is always English." but it is however ambiguous and unfair. The whole point of a nationality specific channel is for those players to have a place where they CAN talk their own language and socialize with their fellow buddies and we all know Osu isn't a language training game, it is absolutely ridiculous to forbid the English language in any country specific channel.

Also, there are reasons why us, romanians (and probably many other nationalities in their own channels) do it, speak English sometimes. Firstly, 99% of us know English to a decent level and because of that, there are many phrases which are shorter and make more sense in English, even for us, as Romanian language has a very complex grammar structure compared to English and it more than often leads to longer and more complicated phrases to type. Not to mention memes and common gaming expressions that only exist in English and can't even be translated to other languages without sounding dumb or lose their essence.. Secondly, some people just want to practice English anywhere they get the chance and as it's not an issue for the others to understand it, I don't see a reason not to profit from that.

With that being said, I humbly request to let us speak English as well in our channel when it drifts to it as it doesn't bother anyone in there, they'd say so if it were the case.
VeilStar
Moved from Help to Development.

Just speaking for myself here..
As long as there isn't continious discussion in English it should be fine. No one ever said you can't speak a single word in a different language, but at the same time if you're asked to stop that probably means it's becoming too much.

I don't know the situation in #romanian so I can't say a whole lot more though. At any rate, there are always different channels you can move to in order to continue the discussion, should the need arise.

As much as I understand that it can be frustrating, exceptions should probably not be made.