forum

Super Mario Maker

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette

Original post

With the release of the game coming out next month (as of this writing) and thanks to the video above, I figured I'd go ahead and make this thread. Anyway, we all already know that we can distribute our own levels online (as long as we complete them first), so this thread will more-or-less be for sharing them here. And they don't have to be just ours; they can be ones you found interesting that belong to someone else including those outside of this community.

Looking forward to seeing more Automatic Mario/Kaizo Mario your levels! Until then, discuss whatever you want about this game (stuff you want to see/ideas/etc.).

osu! community-made levels

Note: Descriptions given are (more-or-less) direct quotes from the original posts that they came from.

Blazevoir (last update: December 22, 2015)
Bite-sized Levels Pack #1 (Version 2.1)
  1. 06F0-0000-00D7-C6EA
  2. Five small, puzzle-like levels crammed into one! (Changelog included via Miiverse.)
Bite-sized Levels Pack #2 (Version 1.1)
  1. F9AF-0000-00D7-CB7D
  2. Four (or five) small, puzzle-like levels crammed into one! Probably easier compared to my first pack, but that depends on if you remember the controls. (Changelog included via Miiverse.)
Let the Shells Open the Way! (Version 1.3)
  1. 2286-0000-00DD-DEE7
  2. Bill Blasters that shoot out shells! Open a path for them, and they'll open a path for you! There's also a secret area that takes inspiration from another level I played. (Changelog included via Miiverse.)
Ground Pound the [?] Blocks! (Version 3.0)
  1. FB77-0000-00D8-A1E5
  2. A puzzle-ish level where the title is self-explanatory. Inspiration came from a couple of the sample levels. (Changelog included via Miiverse.)
?????? - ??????? / Hold → & Run! (Version 3.0)
  1. 018C-0000-00D8-BD3E
  2. A music level that plays the main chorus from the opening theme of the animé Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (or Puella Magi Madoka Magica). There are two paths you can take: one where you can just run and listen, the other where you can platform through while listening. There is also a hidden Easter Egg somewhere. Can you find it? (Changelog included via Miiverse.)
The Misadventures of Toon Link (Version 1.1)
  1. B892-0000-0127-E04E
  2. A dungeon-like level that heavily uses Tracks to somewhat replicate the top-down Zelda games. (Changelog included via Miiverse.)
Lanturn (last update: September 21, 2015)
Turtle Dash: 5473-0000-002D-CD9A
  1. Difficulty: Easy/Normal
  2. Mode: New Super Mario Bros. U
  3. Keep up with the Koopa shells or you might run into some trouble. There are a few bonuses here and there, mostly just for fun. Enjoy!
Castle Seige: C331-0000-0032-6471
  1. Difficulty: Hard
  2. Bonus Objective: Find the 3 1-Ups!
  3. Mode: Super Mario Bros.
  4. Use Ike's power to infilitrate the enemy castle!
P-Switch Infiltration: FD08-0000-0043-7BE5
  1. Difficulty: Hard
  2. Mode: Super Mario World
  3. Bonus: Collect the 3 1-UPs
  4. Rush through Bowser's Castle utilizing P-Switch Power to advance through each section. A unique Bowser fight awaits you at the end!
P-Switch Battles: 904B-0000-0044-9F27
  1. A Boss-only version of P-Switch Infiltration, with a Fun little Bowser Jr. fight (you can skip him though by running past him). It gets right to the point instead of doing the long level.
Chocolate Island 5: 5E29-0000-005E-4D6A
  1. Mode: Super Mario World
  2. A remake of Chocolate Island 5 from Super Mario World that tries its best to live up to the original.
Platform Basics: D179-0000-004E-CAA8
  1. Mode: Super Mario World
  2. Simple platform level that I hope feels like a legitimate course.
Nwolf (last update: September 18, 2015)
A Plumber's Dilemma
  1. F799-0000-004B-1818
  2. NSMBU-style Underground level that uses lots of pipes - I only noticed a few minutes after the idea popped up in my head that there's similar levels in SMB3, NSMB and NSMBWii. Several sections include the possibility of going multiple paths on pipes filled with piranha plants.
OzzyOzrock (last update: September 13, 2015)
9ABA-0000-0027-DB54
Here's one my little brother made. There are some areas meant to be secret, and those parts are challenging sections that abuse Skinny Mario's jump.

EAC6-0000-002F-B6AF
An airship stage where every ship has its own theme .The best part is the ending where my brother made it so you have to survive Bowser long enough to complete the stage! It's not too hard if you get the items (pssst, I think it's kinda ugly).
Tasha (last update: September 27, 2015)
Have fun!
  1. Warning: This is a kaizo style level!
  2. 4841-0000-0012-C20D
  3. Mode: Super Mario Bros.
Bowser's Keep
  1. E874-0000-0014-5ED5
  2. Mode: Super Mario Bros.
Ghost Mansion
  1. ECCF-0000-0024-D94A
Classic style underground
  1. 080A-0000-0031-922C
Water Way
  1. B192-0000-0059-9E6C
Fireball Fortress
  1. 455E-0000-0069-C2F0
  2. Mode: Super Mario Bros. 3
Bad Bullet Castle
  1. Warning: This is a kaizo style level!
  2. 112F-0000-006F-AC36
  3. Mode: Super Mario World
Mushroom Plains
  1. AA29-0000-0067-9478
  2. Mode: New Super Mario Bros. U
Xgor (last update: September 27, 2015)
Blazing hot!
  1. 0FE9-0000-0012-2539
  2. Castle SMB3 level based of the idea of fire, mainly the rotating fire sticks. My first well made level with Mario Maker imo.
Forgotten Ship
  1. 5545-0000-0016-A3BE
  2. A ghost ship level that's more of an puzzle, kinda unfocused but cool concept.
Mr. Dry Bones Wild Ride
  1. 3DD9-0000-0024-2566
  2. The ride never ends.....
  3. A rather cruel level where you have to jump on and off of a bone raft to get to the end. If you fall down you have to run back to the start to try again. (Or restart the level)
  4. It has 0.93% clear rate so be prepared
fish and ships
  1. 81B5-0000-0025-45C2
  2. The most popular level uploaded to my profile!
  3. A rather eventful level a friend made with mini bosses, ships and fishes riding clown cars.
Vineway To Heaven
  1. ABE6-0000-0036-7E52
  2. A level that's more vertical than horzontal. Climb, jump and bounce to Heaven!
Pirate Plants
  1. 2CC8-0000-0042-D5D1
  2. A collab between me and the friend that made fish and ships. Focused more on a plant theme this time around.
bark boat
  1. 7CF5-0000-0047-9937
  2. Yet another level from my friend. This time with a Chain Chomp theme.
U.N. Owen was Mario?
  1. 2BE2-0000-004F-90B0
  2. An automatic mario level with music. I made it possible to beat taking the lower route but that route is weird to play.
One Screen World
  1. A5B5-0000-0072-EC2C
  2. A self-explanatory level that's rather hard. Has vertical scrolling.
Bowser's Tiny Fort
  1. 9753-0000-0076-BC65
  2. Waaay better designed and is more compressed than One Screen World (no vertical scrolling). Also rather hard.

Collection of noteworthy levels from elsewhere

Note: These levels aren't meant to discourage you from trying to create something awesome; in fact, I encourage you to try doing the same things they did.

Pre-launch
Note: All these levels need to be recreated by hand since they were made using the review copies which differed from the final retail version.

(Alternate (#3))

Post-launch

___

Kaizo Mario-like:

Green Platinum
I'm excited for it.

Shame it has its limitations but that's to be expected in order to make it user friendly.
Flanster
I saw this a month or so back, looks pretty fun, shame I don't do Nintendo consoles.
Trosk-
The creativity level that you can reach here is huge... In addition to that, some people are gonna recreate all the old Super Mario stages for sure.

Why don't I have a WiiU? :c
Green Platinum
Every time I look I notice another thing missing. Of course they could have kept things from us and there are work arounds.

No slopes
No key/keyhole and orbs
No moving ropes and platforms (Not curved line ones anyway)
No ice blocks
No blue and yellow koopas
No Koopaling/Bowser/Reznor/Boomer/Big Boo boss fights
Autoscroll is limited too

They probably patched plenty/all of the SMW and SMB3 exploits and that hurts creativity to an extent. Although I guess this is fair since you don't want levels unbeatable to a general audience.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Uhh... what? There ARE ice blocks, and do you mean SMB3-style Bowser fights?
Green Platinum

Blazevoir wrote:

Uhh... what? There ARE ice blocks, and do you mean SMB3-style Bowser fights?
You fight bowser multiple times in SMB1 (The bridge over lava with the axe)

I must have missed the ice blocks w/e
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Assuming we're still on the same page, SMB1-style Bowser fights ARE in the game. Hell, he can even ride a Koopa Clown Car a la SMW.
Crimmi

Green Platinum wrote:

Every time I look I notice another thing missing. Of course they could have kept things from us and there are work arounds.

No slopes
No key/keyhole and orbs
No moving ropes and platforms (Not curved line ones anyway)
No ice blocks
No blue and yellow koopas
No Koopaling/Bowser/Reznor/Boomer/Big Boo boss fights
Autoscroll is limited too

They probably patched plenty/all of the SMW and SMB3 exploits and that hurts creativity to an extent. Although I guess this is fair since you don't want levels unbeatable to a general audience.
That is kind of a disappointment since I do want to make cryptic secret exits like they did in SMW, but they might add those things with a patch later on?
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Pretty sure they said there won't be DLC/future patches.
Green Platinum

Crimmi wrote:

That is kind of a disappointment since I do want to make cryptic secret exits like they did in SMW, but they might add those things with a patch later on?
A decent puzzle hack level will be near tricky to make well too.

I don't see ice blocks grab blocks , unless you shake a breakable one.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Ice Blocks were used in NWC 1, though. Maybe it's that bottom-right one in the pic you provided?
Green Platinum

Blazevoir wrote:

Ice Blocks were used in NWC 1, though. Maybe it's that bottom-right one in the pic you provided?
Those are the non-interactable ones that melt when exposed to fire. I meant the grabbable blocks that you can kick (I guess the majority of whet you can do with them also applies to koopa shells too.
Crimmi

Green Platinum wrote:

Blazevoir wrote:

Those are the non-interactable ones that melt when exposed to fire. I meant the grabbable blocks that you can kick (I guess the majority of whet you can do with them also applies to koopa shells too.
Oh those gray blocks that are mostly found in Vanilla Dome, maybe if you shake the yellow face blocks, you might get em.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Ohhhhhhh, that's what you meant... I never thought of them as Ice Blocks, so...

*shrugs* We'll see.
Nelly
ill make an Osu map if I only had WiiU
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
That'd be interesting.

...Actually, I just might try to make an "osu!" level.
Green Platinum
How would you make an osu level?

Unless it is just music blocks and pick circles
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
It'd be kinda similar to an Automatic Mario level, but in the spirit of osu! you'd have to do something in time with the music.

I dunno. I'll figure it out next month :P

EDIT: Added this to the OP:

Gearmo
Mario Maker is probably gonna be the last 2D Mario game since it offers an unlimited amount of levels from users around the world (obviously).

I'm personally looking forward to playing tons of levels from tons of creative people I don't know. :P
Green Platinum

Blazevoir wrote:

Gnat attack was fun in Mario Paint the shitty snes mouse was so hard to use though

PeaChew wrote:

Mario Maker is probably gonna be the last 2D Mario game since it offers an unlimited amount of levels from users around the world (obviously).
I don't think so but maybe they are going on a break with them for a while.

Edit: Lots of the review copies are out so there is heaps of content showing what's in.
Haven't seen any grab blocks. So probably not in.
Flying mechanics looks similar enough to smw but I haven't seen any skilled players with the game attempt roy fly stuff. however many other things operate differently so flying may be simplified.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette

Green Platinum wrote:

Edit: Lots of the review copies are out so there is heaps of content showing what's in.
Jelly. So jelly :(

Anyway, after watching a certain video, I've now seen something that might boost creativity: Mushroom-/Powerup-avoidance levels. For Mushrooms, they could be traps so that if you do grab one, you wouldn't be able to get through a passage. For Starmen, they could be arranged so that if you do pick one up, it'd kill a vital enemy needed to progress.

Of course it doesn't stop there, but I'll just keep quiet for now.
Green Platinum

Blazevoir wrote:

Green Platinum wrote:

Jelly. So jelly :(

Anyway, after watching a certain video, I've now seen something that might boost creativity: Mushroom-/Powerup-avoidance levels. For Mushrooms, they could be traps so that if you do grab one, you wouldn't be able to get through a passage. For Starmen, they could be arranged so that if you do pick one up, it'd kill a vital enemy needed to progress.

Of course it doesn't stop there, but I'll just keep quiet for now.
The ice bricks melt when hit with fireballs, so you could force backtracking or long stretches of taking no damage with the fire flower power up.

You could combine fire flower with your small mario idea and have the backtrack take a different route too.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
I think I've decided to make puzzle-based levels. While it probably won't be popular with those who... well... hate puzzles, I really wanna pull this off.

I'm mostly taking inspiration from a certain Super Mario Bros. fangame, but seeing as some objects seem to be missing anyway, I'm gonna try to make my own original levels.
Green Platinum
lol A puzzle level was one of the first i was planning to make too.

Does anyone know if lives have a purpose in levels? I guess I might just use them in place of secrets
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
They're only useful for the "Story" modes of the game (10/100 Mario) or hard solo levels in general. Other than that, not really.
Green Platinum
So picking up lives adds to your count in 100 and 10 Mario challenge? that seems to undermine it imo. As for hard levels I have never seen a lives counter on screen anywhere.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Playing levels alone removes the counter since you have infinite tries, but seeing as both "Story" modes pick random online levels (and probably those you saved on your Wii U; no confirmation yet), it's better to include at least one or two 1-ups than none at all.

Green Platinum
The metroid one is cool. Shmup is meh.

Informative, especially covers the limitations that don't often get mentioned.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
More inspiration:

Green Platinum
I personally don't see myself using the shell helmets much at all. Good to know there are standard enemies that can hit p-switches, this seems much more useful to me.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Green Platinum
I don't think it is that bad considering it means no map gets a head start for the first week or so. I'm sure plenty of imitations will pop up some better than the original.

Anyone interested in having a monthly or bi-monthly mario maker design competitions? I can buy some supporter for the winner as long as we get entrants.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
It'd be nice to have a competition (even without a prize), but so far it seems like there aren't a lot here with a Wii U...
Green Platinum
I'm sure there will be some informal competition between us with just "see if you can beat this puzzle map of mine" I guess it is just wait and see, maybe the thread will get some attention when the game is released.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Hehe, this was cute:

31Gabe
All I just want is for Nintendo to cancel this game, and instead make Little Big Planet 3 DLC to contain Mario-themed level parts.

Once Nintendo becomes a 3rd-party company and no longer supports and/or makes their own game platforms, they will have to make games for PS4, Xbox One, and PS Vita onward, and likely the next gaming platforms that follow those. It's obvious because, most recently, they have nearly NO 3rd-party support.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
While I agree with the third party thing, the cancelling won't happen (even disregarding the fact that it's coming out this Friday as of this post).
Mao
It would be weird if a game would be canceled that is already finished, there is so much promotion about, review copies were already sent out about a month ago and will released this friday lol
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Green Platinum
Knowing mario maker is coming on saturday has allowed me to survive one more week of work
Mao
I'm pretty happy about that. Got my copy of the game today :D
Green Platinum
Got my copy with Amiibo and artbook
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
@31Gabe:

Did you look at LittleBigPlanet while developing Mario Maker?

We're familiar with that, but we weren't really looking at it at the time. We played LittleBigPlanet, and we thought it was really well made, but of course when creating our game we made it according to our concepts and what we wanted. Our ideas are to have a fun creative experience that was intuitive enough for anyone to pick up and play. Yeah, we looked at that game, but we had our own goals in mind.
(Source)

Anyway, has anyone uploaded any levels yet?
Green Platinum

Blazevoir wrote:

Anyway, has anyone uploaded any levels yet?
3 in fact

DC4B-0000-0020-374D
Small level inspired by the fact magikoopas can despawn the goal with their magic until they are killed.

5F21-0000-0020-ABE8
A gimmicky level build around guiding a mushroom to the level end.

07A9-0000-0028-6F3B (There was a break by taking a koopa shell outside, I've patched now)
A puzzle oriented map. I was planning to do my first puzzle map in smw but they changed it's physics and behavior much more than the others so I worked with smb3 instead.

Yourself? I'll send some stars your way.
OzzyOzrock
Here's one my little brother made, he's some virtuoso at this.

Fixed: 9ABA-0000-0027-DB54
Lanturn
Well I bought this game. Time to play/make levels.

SMW <3
Green Platinum

OzzyOzrock wrote:

Here's one my little brother made, he's some virtuoso at this.

D9FD-0000-0026-662E
The blind jumps are the only problem I had, some coins to indicate where platforms are would be handy.
OzzyOzrock
There are some areas he meant to be secret, and those parts are challenging sections that abuse much Skinny Mario can jump, but he added coins for the flagpole koopa jump which is definitely a place that should have coins.

ty for mod +1kudosu
Lanturn

Green Platinum wrote:

DC4B-0000-0020-374D
Small level inspired by the fact magikoopas can despawn the goal with their magic until they are killed.

5F21-0000-0020-ABE8
A gimmicky level build around guiding a mushroom to the level end.

07A9-0000-0028-6F3B (There was a break by taking a koopa shell outside, I've patched now)
A puzzle oriented map. I was planning to do my first puzzle map in smw but they changed it's physics and behavior much more than the others so I worked with smb3 instead.
Finally beat all these. Nice maps!

OzzyOzrock wrote:

Fixed: 9ABA-0000-0027-DB54
cool :D

Lemme know if anyone makes any SMW themed ones :D
show more