forum

[Rule] The minimum draining time for a map must be 1 minute

posted
Total Posts
show more
DakeDekaane
You guys are overthinking a lot about this with ambiguous wordings.

I'd say we better keep the rule add it is, and let modders, Nominators and QAT to encourage mapping songs with a proper length, in case of the ridiculous cuts.
Endaris

DakeDekaane wrote:

I'd say we better keep the rule add it is, and let modders, Nominators and QAT to encourage mapping songs with a proper length, in case of the ridiculous cuts.
As it is, not add, right?

things i wrote before noticing the typo
Wow, why?
This rule is based on stupid assumptions.
The poll never implied that the community is not willing to take maps of less than 1min length and there was no evidence in the first place that someone would take this poll to say that 30s maps should be banned.
What the community is doing here is taking Loctav's proposal and try to give some sense to it by adding extra criteria that give some more sense to the rule.
If you would actually do a poll whether the community wants this rule or not we might get a more representative result than the current poll that is pretty much unrelated to the suggested rule.
There were already many good arguments given why this rule should
Mercurial

DakeDekaane wrote:

You guys are overthinking a lot about this with ambiguous wordings.

Against the Sun has been qualified with such a RIDICULOUS CUT (About 2 friggin' minutes, with 46 seconds of draining time). Things like that one shouldn't be allowed.
Spayyce
makes absolutely 0 sense lol
Mafumafu
I'd hope this could be just a guideline.

The question is what is the aim of this rule. Just simply forcing the map length to be over 1 minute or avoiding unreasonable cuts.
It would be better to be the latter one.
Avoiding ridiculous cuts is really a great idea. It shows the respect of the composer and the responsibility as a mapper or a member of the community.
There're maps I saw in my playing osu! that, some mappers simply cut the chorus part of a song and map it. This is not good imo. It's showing you are too lazy (maybe). At least you should map the first verse and chorus together ;w;

However, some songs are initially than 1 minute. If this become a rule, then we need to loop them. And I guess it's more ridiculous to loop a song than cut.

So I guess it could become a guideline with more abundant contents to show the ideas of the ("majority" of the) community that the ridiculous cuts are not wanted.
Crimmi

Regraz wrote:

Avoiding ridiculous cuts is really a great idea. It shows the respect of the composer and the responsibility as a mapper or a member of the community.
There're maps I saw in my playing osu! that, some mappers simply cut the chorus part of a song and map it. This is not good imo. It's showing you are too lazy (maybe). At least you should map the first verse and chorus together ;w;
With a recently ranked map at an disappointing length of :45 seconds, and the excuse of "being to tired to map the whole thing" I think this should be a rule to avoid the flood, next thing you know, there might be a cut version of Dopamine to 0:40 seconds for shits and giggles (I will commit hara-kiri if I see that) because "Hurr durr, BN'z don't check long maps because BN "x" doesn't check 4 min, 8 diff mapsets." But if you can't can't map a long 4 minute song, at least cut to a game wise length like what I did with SOUND HOLIC feat. Mayumi Morinaga - Yukihana -SEKKA- for example (which an incredible 5:18 cut to 1:55). Sorry if I get anything wrong, it's my first time speaking out seriously on the forums and I don't want to see the shit fly with drama with people using This as an excuse. Case in point: "If you're going to make a cut, make it a reasonable cut"
Mercurial

Crimmi wrote:

With a recently ranked map at an disappointing length of :45 seconds, and the excuse of "being to tired to map the whole thing" I think this should be a rule to avoid the flood, next thing you know, there might be a cut version of Dopamine to 0:40 seconds for shits and giggles (I will commit hara-kiri if I see that) because "Hurr durr, BN'z don't check long maps because BN "x" doesn't check 4 min, 8 diff mapsets." But if you can't can't map a long 4 minute song, at least cut to a game wise length like what I did with SOUND HOLIC feat. Mayumi Morinaga - Yukihana -SEKKA- for example (which an incredible 5:18 cut to 1:55). Sorry if I get anything wrong, it's my first time speaking out seriously on the forums and I don't want to see the shit fly with drama with people using This as an excuse. Case in point: "If you're going to make a cut, make it a reasonable cut"

You're totally right, people do cut songs because they're lazy as fuck and they just don't care about the song, they just want a ranked map going for them.

As I said before, such practices should be avoided and punished if needed.
Crimmi

Mercurial wrote:

You're totally right, people do cut songs because they're lazy as fuck and they just don't care about the song, they just want a ranked map going for them.

As I said before, such practices should be avoided and punished if needed.
But to me, this is between the lines of a guideline and a rule (But I might be wrong, just rethinking on what I said in my earlier post.), I mean if there is a song that is repeating itself like a BGM, I could see it be either looped or cut to what ever length the mapper desires as long it's credible and punishment is a bit too extreme for that.
XinCrin
I agree with this but if the full song is around 40 seconds?.
PyaKura

XinCrin wrote:

I thought it was agreed that songs such as Granat which are shorter than 1 minute are fine.
Crimmi

XinCrin wrote:

Then it's no problem, (to me ofc, as long it's just an intro or a BGM or w/e.) but cutting a song from ex. 6:10 to a pathetic 0:50 just to get a quick speedrank is a spit in the face to those who might have mapped the full version to the song and awaiting a few months for their map to be ranked.

PyaKura wrote:

I thought it was agreed that songs such as Granat which are shorter than 1 minute are fine.
Because songs like that are composed to be that short, look at Nekomata Master - Welcome to tricoro system for example, which is a very low 0:26 secs, but dumbing down a good song for example 3:10 seconds to a mere 0:35 seems a bit lazy, but meh.
Bonsai

XinCrin wrote:

I'd like to point out that the proposal has been changed many posts ago, and the exact wording of this new proposal has already been discussed on the last page too (without any response from staff's side yet?), so I'd advise to read through all of that before reposting opinions here that have already been posted many times.
As a side note, I wonder why this thread hasn't been locked yet, since there is no real discussion going on anymore
Crimmi

Bonsai wrote:

XinCrin wrote:

I'd like to point out that the proposal has been changed many posts ago, and the exact wording of this new proposal has already been discussed on the last page too (without any response from staff's side yet?), so I'd advise to read through all of that before reposting opinions here that have already been posted many times.
As a side note, I wonder why this thread hasn't been locked yet, since there is no real discussion going on anymore
Well I read through the other posts before doing so, I just wanted to get my two cents in and prevent map shields. (people who use recently ranked maps with the same problems to prove their points.) most people won't care about my opinions any ways.
ZekeyHache
I guess this could never get ranked cuz is not even 30 secs, I won't rest in peace when I die. :(
Mercurial
Too bad, so sad.
B1rd
I don't agree with the new proposal either. Short maps are a valid type of maps and I don't think there should be any discrimination or restrictions on the songs available. For example some songs might have a great intro that makes an amazing map but are pretty meh for the rest of the song. There shouldn't be a rule that disallows cuts as it would prevent some good maps from being ranked, and the BNs and QATs should be able to control the amount of short maps being ranked and discern good quality short maps from the ones cut out of laziness.
PyaKura

B1rd wrote:

There shouldn't be a rule that disallows cuts as it would prevent some good maps from being ranked
I'm really not sure about that. Well I know I'd hate it if a song was cut exclusively because a certain part of the song is cool and the rest is not.
phaZ

PyaKura wrote:

B1rd wrote:

There shouldn't be a rule that disallows cuts as it would prevent some good maps from being ranked
I'm really not sure about that. Well I know I'd hate it if a song was cut exclusively because a certain part of the song is cool and the rest is not.

ZiRoX wrote:

Nwolf wrote:

Maybe add a rule that disallows cutting songs too much, like cutting a song should not result it being shorter than 90 seconds. I think that's a bigger problem than 30-60 sec maps in general
Agree with this. If the song is <1 min, let it be, that's the way it is. But if the song is longer, then cut versions should be 1 min or longer. I've seen cases where mappers cut the kiai time from a song and make an entire mapset out of it and it's sickening.
i personally dont have any problems with <1 min maps as long as it isnt an extreme cut. maps like https://osu.ppy.sh/s/192763 are just nice but it wouldnt be allowed to rank maps like this anymore.
like Nwolf, i also would rather see an additional rule to cutting e.g.cut a song down to max 40% of its lenght or at least 1min (i say 40% for the case of songs that have a kind of verse1-refrain-verse2-refrain-outro structure.. sometimes outro would just not fit if the song is already cut)
Seijiro

DakeDekaane wrote:

As much as I hate ridiculously short maps, if that's how the song is, then yes, they're free to go ahead. If it's a blatant lazy ass cut, please don't even try, you're consuming time that could be used on maps that truly deserve it.

PS: If you're going to map short songs, please map stuff worth of it.
I was about to write my opinion, but looking around a bit showed that my thoughts have already been exposed
Myxo
With the change of how the Ranking Criteria Subforum works from now on, topics like these are obsolete.
OmniKronos

Euny wrote:

yeah i know short maps arent fun. because we are expert players. but lets think of it.. sometimes short maps gives a chance easy to get full combo for newest players in my opinion. i think, 30secs map still need to this game. we should offer to chance for newest players. lets remember that nice moments when we got fced short maps

I ABSOLUTELY agree with you