forum

Why do people say mouse is inferior to tablet.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
otoed1
I used tablet once for a time and reached 15k with it before it magically broke and it was certainly not putting me at a disadvantage compared to mouse play, however after playing with mouse recently and getting up to 9k i've found that I really don't think that there is that much of a difference between the two. Aim and skill cap really don't seem to be that different. I've been thinking about it and I think that part of the reason that people feel that tablet is easier and faster to learn is a bit of placebo effect combined with the excitement of getting a tablet convincing a person to play more and "get gud".Thoughts? (please be open minded and don't throw insults around)
GoldenWolf
One reason would be because of the relative tracking of mouse that becomes a true pain when it's a low quality one (and even on high end mices it's still there, albeit not as noticeable)
So you need to gather information and get a good pricey mouse often times over 70$, when you can just grab a 30$ tablet, plug it in and play liek teh pros
Yolshka
both takes time to get used to and pretty sure its preference

THO

it is true that the tablet gives a little boost in the beginning, but not something thats not achievable with mouse.

but i think getting a tablet only to potentially get a little bit better at playing osu is not wise.

although i dont think people say that at all? i thought general opinions differ from each other
zer11
I play with mouse, currently playing 3-4.5 star maps, 3.5 are full combo able. Im playing at 4100 dpi which is extremly high and sometimes it feels like the mouse can't handle the precision, especially on higher star maps. Dunno if its my steelseries diablo mouse but it feels like a disadvantage sometimes. The mouse doesn't get the movements right. I don't think this would happen with a tablet.
Yolshka
But you can adjust the dpi
Topic Starter
otoed1

zer11 wrote:

I play with mouse, currently playing 3-4.5 star maps, 3.5 are full combo able. Im playing at 4100 dpi which is extremely high and sometimes it feels like the mouse can't handle the precision, especially on higher star maps. Dunno if its my steelseries diablo mouse but it feels like a disadvantage sometimes. The mouse doesn't get the movements right. I don't think this would happen with a tablet.
That dpi is insane. I use 500 and used to consider using 400. I think that when you "feel" the mouse isn't making the right movements, I think that your insane dpi is screwing you over, as minor jitters in your hand will screw you over.

GoldenWolf wrote:

One reason would be because of the relative tracking of mouse that becomes a true pain when it's a low quality one (and even on high end mices it's still there, albeit not as noticeable)
So you need to gather information and get a good pricey mouse often times over 70$, when you can just grab a 30$ tablet, plug it in and play liek teh pros
I imagine relative tracking vs absolute could be a disadvantage, but it hardly seems to bug me. I imagine low quality sensors could be annoying, but your argument regarding price doesn't seem to make sense to me. I purchased a cheap tablet to play osu myself and it broke, the more commonly used ones that we quality would have cost me around 70-80$, around the same as my mouse, an lg502.
GoldenWolf
I was disregarding built in quality because it's not directly relevant to the in-game performances
ZenithPhantasm
Weight. The lightest mouse with a decent sensor weights 5x that of a tablet stylus.
Topic Starter
otoed1

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Weight. The lightest mouse with a decent sensor weights 5x that of a tablet stylus.
That may be the case, but surface drag still slows you down when using tablet, and people who hover need to deal with the weight of their arm(unless they use a small area that can be reached with their wrist alone).
StephOsu
placebo effect might be a thing but i think that tablet has faster growth rate than mouse with absolute tracking and relative tracking thing
i mean you just need to get used to the area for tablet to know where to hit while if you are using mouse you need to feel the movement
not really sure though never personally used tablet for osu myself only did touchscreen and mouse
pandaBee

otoed1 wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

That may be the case, but surface drag still slows you down when using tablet, and people who hover need to deal with the weight of their arm(unless they use a small area that can be reached with their wrist alone).
Still lighter than mouse. Also, most people hover and very few to none move their arms to control the stylus they use wrist and finger. If anything arm movement is more applicable to mice.
Cydr
Mouse drift is a big problem for me. Weight is most definitely something that holds me back. The pen is lighter, and it's more easy to move around than a giant hunk of plastic. Movement seems really restricted when I compare the two. You can fling your cursor across your whole screen with much less effort than a mouse. Again, with mouse drifting, it gets really uncomfortable and throws me off.
Endaris
Weight is a two-edged sword as it gives you innate stability but takes away innate speed. You can compensate for a lack of either by training your hand with the device though so weight shouldn't be considered a one-sided argument for tablet.

I'm sure I've said it in many threads already but I think tablet is easier to learn at the very beginning.
The stability and "low" mobility of mouse are experienced as a hurdle for many new players as aiming is the most basic skill you have to possess when playing osu!. Aiming is arguably easier with a tablet for a beginner and you won't mind slipping off of stacks(like Riince) or sliders after a jump cause at least you hit the jump. Therefore tablet feels more rewarding and also gives an easier access to pp due to how highly rated aim is in osu!.
=> Tablet causes fast progress for beginners when coming from mouse cause they just see what they get, not what they lose(also because stability isn't that much of an issue yet with 1/1 maps)

Once you got to a level where basic jumps are 100% burnt into your mussle memory(like 1700pp) swapping from mouse to tablet doesn't give you that immediate boost anymore due to stability suddenly being an issue while you were able to jump with mouse as well.
ZenithPhantasm

otoed1 wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Mouse still takes far more physical effort than a pen. The fact that most mouse shape with decent sensors have absurd shapes makes it hard to get an ideal grip that allows you to leverage the arm's full strength.
pandaBee
Mouse makes my wrist sore a lot faster than stylus
chainpullz
Most people switch to tablet before even finding settings for mouse that work for them. Things like turning on raw input etc. Then when they get a tablet and they aren't fighting things like acceleration they think it was the mouse. Things like drift etc can be minimized with proper settings.
Vuelo Eluko
theyre bad, mouse is better than tablet for streams, tablet better for jumps

proof: dooms king of time freeze, cptn being the only one who fc'd freedom dive who doesn't out-skill every other top player to the point of being peerless.
-Atri-
I snap a lot on tablet, besides, mouse drains more stamina on your aiming hand since you move your entire arm instead of your wrist

But still, "tablet or mouse is better" is bullshit, it comes to preference
Endaris

KuranteMelodii wrote:

I snap a lot on tablet, besides, mouse drains more stamina on your aiming hand since you move your entire arm instead of your wrist
No.
Like from 800 upwards you're playing wrist only.
Anything below involves your arm but mouseplayers like Doomsday work with their wrists.
silmarilen
absolute position is the one thing that makes tablet objectively better than mouse.

they are also lighter and easier to handle.
-Atri-

Endaris wrote:

KuranteMelodii wrote:

No.
Like from 800 upwards you're playing wrist only.
Anything below involves your arm but mouseplayers like Doomsday work with their wrists.
It still hurts because its bulky
pandaBee

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

proof: dooms king of time freeze, cptn being the only one who fc'd freedom dive who doesn't out-skill every other top player to the point of being peerless.
I disagree, Drawing lines with a pen is easier than tracing them out with a mouse.
silmarilen

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

this is bullshit, streaming has nothing to do with your aim hand. doomsday, cptnxn and angelsim are so good at streams because they have high speed and stamina in their left hand, not because they use a mouse with their right.
show more