forum

[Discussion] Qualifying System?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Rakuen
Hi~ it's me again~......

Not sure what to put for the tag, it's suppose to be a question

Just wondering how the new system works, can't seem to qualify any map (24 hours/6 max?)

Might be a real-time system but it makes me (and other not spamming icon BNs) hard to track

↓ ↓ ↓ Boom! Answers! Ideas! ↓ ↓ ↓

Edit: I have a list of maps waiting for me to qualify just because I can't qualify 1 map every day. In fact, I don't qualify much a month anyway, only did 2 maps this month

If you're limiting the capacity, why hire more BNs?

Edit2: Just so that you all know, make sure you put a new reply when qualifying after hours or days, please do not use edit!

Don't do like this (just an example, no offence): p/4369493
Karen
cant agree more. ;_;
ZiRoX
The other day we were discussing this with Irre on #nominators and I think a nice idea came out: to change the limit from 6 beatmaps each 24 hours to 3 beatmaps each 12 hours. It's the same in terms of number of maps, but it doesn't favor nominators in certain timezones THAT much.
xxdeathx
might as well do 1 every 4 hours while we're at it
riffy
The current one works the best, if you ask me. I was a BN, so I know what I'm talking about.

Lanturn wrote:

Maps work on a 24 hour clock now, there isn't any 'reset' anymore.

So if the first map was qualified at 3:00am, and 5 more afterwards. The next map can't be qualified until 3:00am.
This gives every BN a fair chance and seems to be working fine.
Natsu
the problem is that there are so many BNs, so you can't qualify unless you keep spamming when the time its close, if not you will get probably ninja'd.. and the idea is nice, but the cap its really small for the big amount of BNs and maps.
Aka

Bakari wrote:

The current one works the best, if you ask me. I was a BN, so I know what I'm talking about.
you didnt face the current one but only previous, if im not mistaken, so you cant really say it as a bn i think.. >:

personally i am OK with the new time system, there is still an exact time when you can qualify a new map but it is not the same all the time, like it was before. this looks indeed more generous towards different time zones.
though i do dislike the idea of limiting max amount of maps from 8 to 6, too. even if we are getting a smaller amount - 5-6 new BNs, not 20 per month, it still gives a legit big plus to the total number of BNG. currently we have 108 BNs and there is less than 10% of possibility you won't get ninja'd by someone else.

maybe it's better to sharpen the BN ranking system, so bad modders are out and less low quality maps are getting qualified = less work to QAT? though honestly i doubt that with the amount of subjective disqualifications, it would be a noticeable change.

or finally increase the QA team? i heard that the team works kinda slowly and it takes more than several hours to detect unacceptable issues, while it has to take several minutes overall. it was said by ztrot in #nominators and i hope i recalled those words correctly.
or maybe you bring wrong people for the team? i doubt. most of team members are showing their high level of knowledge and being indeed helpful.
i know a few people with pretty high standards who would definitely work well as a QAT member but left unnoticed in months. maybe its not their time yet, fine, but i would also like to see some changes to so-called "criteria" of getting invited to the team. paying more attention to what exactly "potential qa member" is bringing to qualified section.
i found out newest QATs qualifing beatmaps with obvious as hell issues like spreads and quality. one beatmap had fully and only 1/1 rhythm in normal while hard used a lot of 1/4 reverses and triplets. another was one of those popular screamo marathon maps which is still not requalified, i bet you know what i am talking about. i seriously dont get why people which are bringing low quality maps and maps with obvious issues are getting a spot in QA team.
its not like i am against Bakari in QAT, who bubbled that marathon (if im not mistaken), vise versa, i am glad for him and he actually deserves it more than everyone else by years of hard work helping others. just, why would you want to nominate a beatmap for fun to make other team get a headache?..
i am still confuaed what is correct. i heard that nominating a map to test QAT is fine, meanwhile i read that we should nominate only what we are confident with. so, this is the topic which makes me confused for several months already.

just wanted to share my doubts, thoughts, ideas gathered from my 11 months of being in the BNG..
Bara-
I'm no fan of this
I found out how to do it properly though
Go to #6 in Qualified listing
Look at the time the Qualify post was made
Then qualify the map at that same time
Still, I think it's not the best way to do it

Why not make it a queue?
You put your "not-yet-qualified"-map in it, and it'll automatically qualify it after it's able to (with the cap)
Natsu

baraatje123 wrote:

I'm no fan of this
I found out how to do it properly though
Go to #6 in Qualified listing
Look at the time the Qualify post was made
Then qualify the map at that same time
Still, I think it's not the best way to do it
we already know that, the problem its that there are like 3 or 4 + people waiting to hit the buttom to qualify as well.

You put your "not-yet-qualified"-map in it, and it'll automatically qualify it after it's able to (with the cap)
Not a bad idea, but the problem is with the current amount of BNs + mappers that queue will become really long and will be a similar problem :(.

I guess a good ideas that can be done are:

1- To bring back the previous cap of 8 maps, add more QATs or reduce members in Nominator group, just my opinion about the current state of this system.
Monstrata
I dislike the fact that there is no surefire way of determining when the cap will be gone. We can estimate based on the forum post, but often times people end up posting and then qualifying, only to realize that they can't actually qualify. Therefore, their post will say its been ~30 hours since qualification, but the map may only be in qualified for 18 hours.

The current system only benefits those who have a lot of free time and/or a flexible schedule. Those who can adjust their schedule to be available at/around the time of the cap reset will be able to rank as they wish. It doesn't matter what time zone you are at, because the window of time where you can qualify a map will change every day based on how long it took for the previous day's BN's to qualify after the cap.

Lets say I qualify a map at 1:00. The next day someone qualifies a map at 1:30 because they don't have time to refresh for an hour straight. Now the day after, someone needs to wait until at least 1:30 to qualify their map, maybe they miss it and qualify at 2:00. Now the next BN has to wait at least 1 hour past the original 1:00 before he can qualify.

Could just make one slot open every 4 hours like xxdeathx said. And then we can all practice being ninja's or snipers who qualify exactly on 4:00:00.

AR-240 minutes sounds cool :D.
Topic Starter
Rakuen
Reason I post this because I din't find any announcement...

Previous system work well, everything runs regularly, reset in time.

We all have our own works, I do not want a timetable for games.

Don't like how maps being hung there for days, literally

Revert back to the previous system (8 max, 1 per person, every 1 day), increasing the QAT work, and slow down the process of inviting BNs would be appropriate, if you ask me.

ZiRoX wrote:

The other day we were discussing this with Irre on #nominators and I think a nice idea came out: to change the limit from 6 beatmaps each 24 hours to 3 beatmaps each 12 hours. It's the same in terms of number of maps, but it doesn't favor nominators in certain timezones THAT much.
Good idea, but 6 maps a day? Why decrease cap (from 8) when more BNs are invited?

There will be only more bubbled and popped icons in the forum, increasing everyday, can't be cleared.

Also, please don't make the system so complicated, I used a while to understand how the current system works.

More suggestions? :)
Bara-

Rakuen wrote:

Good idea, but 6 maps a day? Why decrease cap (from 8) when more BNs are invited?
Good thing I'm not the only one who thought this was weird
I also said this in #nominators and we got a little discussion (didn't save chatlog tho)
Myxo
Remember the high amount of last-minute-disqualifies that happened, because the QATs couldn't keep up with 8 maps a day. It works much better now atleast.
Loctav
Keep in mind that other BNs drop out, as well. We just didnt purge the group yet, due to the wait for the real-time data...
Cherry Blossom
Just a suggestion, why don't to make qualifications queued ?
I mean when we can't qualify a map because the limit has been reached, the map will be queued and when a slot will be free it will be automatically qualified.
I just think about something like this, but there are drawbacks as well, like who will post in the beatmap's thread with the heart/flame icon or, the large amount of queued maps etc.

This is to prevent from "i will be the first that will qualify this map when it will be reset" or "eeeeh you ninja'ed me, my map was supposed to be qualified before your map" etc.

That's just my idea.
Bara-

Cherry Blossom wrote:

I mean when we can't qualify a map because the limit has been reached, the map will be queued and when a slot will be free it will be automatically qualified.
I just think about something like this, but there are drawbacks as well, like who will post in the beatmap's thread with the heart/flame icon or, the large amount of queued maps etc.

This is to prevent from "i will be the first that will qualify this map when it will be reset" or "eeeeh you ninja'ed me, my map was supposed to be qualified before your map" etc.

That's just my idea.
I also just said that ;w;

baraatje123 wrote:

Why not make it a queue?
Ah well, Then Natsu replied and said

Natsu wrote:

baraatje123 wrote:

Not a bad idea, but the problem is with the current amount of BNs + mappers that queue will become really long and will be a similar problem :(.

I guess a good ideas that can be done are:

1- To bring back the previous cap of 8 maps, add more QATs or reduce members in Nominator group, just my opinion about the current state of this system.
OnosakiHito

Cherry Blossom wrote:

100 beatmaps get queued and remain untouched in that time.
300 beatmaps get queued and you have to wait a month.
Etc.
Wafu
As far as I saw here in past, now the system works better - I think waiting a day to qualify the map is not that critical, you anyway have to put 5 icons per month, for example you might put 3 bubbles and qualify 2 maps - Other BNs have the opportunity to qualify those 3 bubbles and you definitely have chance to wait for time to qualify 2 maps within 30 days.

I suppose we are getting more BNs because currently BN scores are not count in the previous "BNG Ranking" thread and we are just waiting for real-time scoring. I guess there are some inactive BNs who will be kicked when the real-time system is released, before that I guess BNs will be kicked only for abusing of power or inappropriate behavior, which does not seem to be happening, at least we do not see it in public. I would not change much, my opinion though.

baraatje123 wrote:

Not a bad idea, but the problem is with the current amount of BNs + mappers that queue will become really long and will be a similar problem
Just said why it isn't that big problem above, but as well as that, I think before we would increase the count of maps which could be qualified per day, we would need to get more very reliable QATs so they are able to handle so many maps. I am not saying QAT is slow now or something, definitely not, but I think they might be overloaded if checking that many maps a day and doing other job - That would be prevented if we had more reliable people to do this job. Maps rarely pass with unrankable issues, if we consider there are QATs for different game modes, there is really not huge amount of people who check those maps. In my humble opinion, we should not haste about qualifying maps as long as we have just few QATs - checking maps actually is not any better than modding them, so this would force them to rush even more. But I dunno, I am not QAT, my opinion is that they do not want to check huge amount of maps everyday.
Cherry Blossom
So why don't to use the star priority ?
I mean, when the star priority is high, there will better chances to see the map qualified fastly. That will avoid speedqualification, and that will show the interests of the mapper and the community they have for the qualified map when they shoot stars on it. But there will be also abuse....
i don't have other ideas.

Or just, find another solution to be more efficient in both sides (BNs and QATs) to allow more qualified maps per day..
Topic Starter
Rakuen
Just so that you all know, make sure you put a new reply when qualifying after hours or days, please do not use edit!

Don't do like this (just an example, no offence): p/4369493

(edited in the post)
show more