forum

Mechanical Keyboard?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Kimitakari
Mechanical keyboards is your main item on Osu with that you can hear a button sound it will make and its good,also there Osu Keyboards on their store so you should check it out
The Gambler

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/u/Thnikk
Omron mouse switch masterrace. Can confirm I can do higher bpm maps mouse only better than mouse+kb
Might as well dual mouse instead. I pretty much did that with a cheapo Logitech M100 til my mech came.
-Atri-
Don't get it, I am a Mech user and I don't find any difference on feel compared to membrane
Incera
Endaris
A small keyboard is a clear disadvantage, especially if you use index+middlefinger to tap as they might block each other more easily if you're using keys right next to each other.
If it has to be a mechanical keyboard should be your secondary question but I think having bigger keys is the most important thing for you right now.
There's nothing wrong with a mech of course but you can also get along very well with a good rubberdome.
The Gambler

Endaris wrote:

There's nothing wrong with a mech of course but you can also get along very well with a good rubberdome.
So spend more on a KB and get a Topre?

Good luck blowing cash on a Realforce... For a price of a Realforce you'd get two CM Rapids...
ZenithPhantasm

The Gambler wrote:

Endaris wrote:

So spend more on a KB and get a Topre?

Good luck blowing cash on a Realforce... For a price of a Realforce you'd get two CM Rapids...
Topres are rumored to be smoother than any cherry switch.
I heard CM Novatouch TKL has Topre switches and only costs half if a Realforce
The Gambler

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Topres are rumored to be smoother than any cherry switch.
I heard CM Novatouch TKL has Topre switches and only costs half if a Realforce
Here in Canada the Novatouch retails for $200, while the Realforce for $270.

Also, Topres use rubberdome for feedback so it is still prone to wear and tear like regular rubberdomes going mushy. The circuitry, however, relies on capacitance rather than contact points, which makes overall endurance more reliable.

To sum it up, you're using a rubberdome (tactility) to activate a touchscreen (capacitance).
rogueshadow12
Getting a mechanical keyboard's definitely worth it.

It helps with typing (typing's much more satisfying on a mechanical keyboard as comapred to a rubber dome membrane keyboard),
overall gaming performance (consistency of the keys help your muscle memory to input commands easier as you know that the key would always work),
keyboard lifespan (mechanical switches are guaranteed to last longer than membrane switches)

It's just overall better in performance and more reliable that membrane/chiclet key switches.
Of course like a tablet or any other peripheral, it won't make you better. It'll only help you become better at the things you do :D
ZenithPhantasm

rogueshadow12 wrote:

Getting a mechanical keyboard's definitely worth it.

It helps with typing (typing's much more satisfying on a mechanical keyboard as comapred to a rubber dome membrane keyboard),
overall gaming performance (consistency of the keys help your muscle memory to input commands easier as you know that the key would always work),
keyboard lifespan (mechanical switches are guaranteed to last longer than membrane switches)

It's just overall better in performance and more reliable that membrane/chiclet key switches.
Of course like a tablet or any other peripheral, it won't make you better. It'll only help you become better at the things you do :D
This
The Gambler
Again, it depends on the mechanical KB you get, but it is an overall improvement from rubberdomes.

Many types of mechanical switches exist, like IBM's buckling spring, Cherry's MX series, Omron's Romer-G, Kailhua's QS1, Matias switches and the hybrid Topre capacitive.

I suggest you make a spinning wheel with these options and throw a dart at it. Then buy the KB your dart lands on.
ZenithPhantasm
You forgot Gaterons.
The Gambler

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

You forgot Gaterons.

The Gambler wrote:

Again, it depends on the mechanical KB you get, but it is an overall improvement from rubberdomes.

Many types of mechanical switches exist, like IBM's buckling spring, Cherry's MX series and/or including clones, Omron's Romer-G, Kailhua's QS1, Matias switches and the hybrid Topre capacitive.

I suggest you make a spinning wheel with these options and throw a dart at it. Then buy the KB your dart lands on.
Also, Gaterons are planning to make their version of an Ergo-Clear. I'd check it out if I were you ;P
ZenithPhantasm
I have ergo blues so its all gud
Nadfee
Don't think about that you are having problems and just adapt to your keyboard
"Once you go mechanical, you'll never go back ;-;"

I'm serious:

sottovoce

KuranteMelodii wrote:

Don't get it, I am a Mech user and I don't find any difference on feel compared to membrane

Same here, in fact, I even bought a mech keyboard (red switches) but switched back to using rubber dome as I preferred it.

I do have a good rubber dome keyboard though.
The Gambler

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

I have ergo blues so its all gud
Either there is a geekhack/deskthority link on that or I call BS. There isn't such thing called an Ergo Blue

But for Ergo-Clear:
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX_Ergo_Clear
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=17248.0
Kumiho
id say go for it if you can, i mean i dont have a choice as i play on a laptop lulz
vsprite
CM storm trigger is a good mechanical keyboard if you are also considering killing someone with it or using it as a bulletproof vest
The Gambler

vsprite wrote:

CM storm trigger is a good mechanical keyboard if you are also considering killing someone with it or using it as a bulletproof vest
Lol, I saw the video when they ran over it with a Lambo, and it still kept working
LoGo
No one recommends optical switches ?
They should not break as any other available... D:
ZenithPhantasm
BloodyTech iirc had optical switches. They last until dust gets into the housing or the LEDs fails.
The Gambler

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

BloodyTech iirc had optical switches. They last until dust gets into the housing or the LEDs fails.
so something like a scroll wheel or something?
ZenithPhantasm
Yes its similar to an optical encoder.