forum

[added] osu://spectate/

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +37
Topic Starter
ReesesPuffs
It would be nice if we could start spectating someone through URI scheme. I saw some of the existing ones from here.

Just enter this into your browser and you'll automatically spectate that person: osu://spectate/<userid>

What this means is that after entering that URL into your browser, osu! will automatically open up and start spectating the person. Currently the only way to spectate is by manually going ingame, right clicking, and selecting spectate. Also if you're supporter it would automatically download the beatmap if missing.

Exactly how it works:

1. Type osu://spectate/ReesesPuffs into your web browser and hit enter
2. osu! opens up (if not open already) and starts spectating ReesesPuffs (Same action as being ingame, right clicking someone, and hitting spectate)
2a. If you don't own the beatmap, and you have osu!direct then it will automatically download and then spectate
Bara-
Sure
Why not, I see no problems with it (except it'll most likely never gets used, unless ofc it'll be a button on someone's profile page (Spectate Me))
silmarilen
i remember this being requested once before already
PieInOblivion
Because it's so hard to look someone up in-game?
Oinari-sama
t/271324

silmarilen wrote:

i remember this being requested once before already
I'd really appreciate if people can link the thread when they say that.
Bara-
How I understand this, this is NOT a duplicate
How I understand this
Just as when typing an Osu!Direct link in the browser, it opens up osu with Osu!Direct

If you type this in your browser (osu://spectate/Happystick for example) You'll open up Osu and immediately start spectating Happystick

At least, this is how I understand this, I might be wrong though
Oinari-sama

baraatje123 wrote:

How I understand this, this is NOT a duplicate
How I understand this
Just as when typing an Osu!Direct link in the browser, it opens up osu with Osu!Direct

If you type this in your browser (osu://spectate/Happystick for example) You'll open up Osu and immediately start spectating Happystick

At least, this is how I understand this, I might be wrong though
@baraatje123 are you gonna be like this in every topic? Did you read what peppy said in the linked thread?

peppy wrote:

A link could be added to open osu! itself and begin spectating the user, but it won't be in a browser.
VeilStar
I'm afraid you're wrong here, Oinari-sama.

What the OP is asking is a handler much like the ones already available for osu!direct and chat channels.

For example, if you go to my userpage and open the "General Questions" spoilerbox, you'll see a #help link.
Upon clicking this link osu! will open and drop you in the #help channel, even if osu! is closed and you don't auto-join #help.
The way it's done is by turning the handler intro a link with bbcode. Here's an example: Click here for the Finnish community channel!
[url=osu://chan/#finnish]Click here for the Finnish community channel![/url]

Removing the duplicate tag and moving this back as this is a valid feature request.
Topic Starter
ReesesPuffs
Thanks for clearing that up VeilStar, I guess I didn't fully explain it in my first post. I'll edit more information in.

It would be good for adding links to your userpage to have people spectate you, or post around the internet. Plus there is no way to automatically spectate someone, it has to be done manually ingame.

I think a feature like this would be perfect for osu! it's just something that makes sense.
XinCrin
A kind of streaming?
Topic Starter
ReesesPuffs

XinCrin wrote:

A kind of streaming?
No it's not streaming read the entire post please. I'll explain it again as simple as possible. This is how exactly it works:

1. Type osu://spectate/ReesesPuffs into your web browser and hit enter
2. osu! opens up (if not open already) and starts spectating ReesesPuffs (Same action as being ingame, right clicking someone, and hitting spectate)
2a. If you don't own the beatmap, and you have osu!direct then it will automatically download and then spectate

osu! currently supports these commands already. I think spectate would be a great addition.
BanchoBot
Issue(s) in this thread have been addressed by the following changes:
  1. Add basic support for osu://spectate/<user> links. (peppy)
The changes will be applied to builds newer than b20150729cuttingedge.

Please follow up in this thread if you believe more work needs to be done to fix the mentioned issues. If they have not yet been resolved, please provide any new details that may have arisen after this build.
Bara-
Oeh nice
Trosk-
Cool :P
Paprikawurst
Would be pretty cool :)
Topic Starter
ReesesPuffs
Glad to see this added. Thanks for adding it in peppy.
Topic Starter
ReesesPuffs
Something I noticed is if you do osu://specate/Reesespuffs it will give the error "The user is not currently online" until you hit F9 to show the extended chat with all users. This means if you ran this command while osu! was closed, once it opens it won't be able to spectate anyone until you load the users.