forum

Replay Pause/Timeline Control [waiting]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Dakeyrus
Just thinking, it'd be nice to have a rewind/fast-forward timeline control as well as the ability to pause in replays. I like the 2x speed thing, but I'd like to be able to watch the top players do specific sections of a song.
EiJi
Agreed.
ROMaster2
I agree as well
awp
Mmmhmm. This would have been really handy when hunting for a "Mario Dies" ending in SMB Medley. It'll probably be really handy in something else in the future, too.
Gemi
Bump on this great suggestion. We really need the option to forward/rewind/pause in replays.
peppy
Ehhhh.. This would be there if it was that simple. "undoing" scoring just isn't possible with my current game engine, and adding this in will be a very major change. Just thinking about this brings pain to my brain.

I won't say "no" to this, but I will say "not soon".
adamskii_uk

peppy wrote:

Ehhhh.. This would be there if it was that simple. "undoing" scoring just isn't possible with my current game engine, and adding this in will be a very major change. Just thinking about this brings pain to my brain.

I'm not a programmer, but I have an idea which may enable this feature to work with the current Osu! game engine.

You could use the same timeline control bar that's at the bottom of the editor to control the replays. To get round the problem with the "undoing" of the scoring you could change the behavior of the control bar so that when you drag it backwards and forwards it only adjusts the time that's displayed next to it, and it wont update the replay in real time (scrubbing). Once the person lets go of the timeline control bar at the desired time in the replay, Osu! would then play back the replay from the beginning at high speed without drawing any graphics, then when Osu! reaches the time in the replay that was selected on the control bar, Osu! would then continue to play the replay from that point in time with the graphics enabled.
peppy
@adamskii_uk: I am fully aware of a few ways to do it, and indeed you are on the correct path with what you say. This doesn't change the fact that will still take time, as the game engine is tailored to having interactive play only at the moment.

p.s. You seem to have a good concept of programming structure (from both this post and some of your others). Have you ever considered taking up some form of an IT career? :P
adamskii_uk

peppy wrote:

p.s. You seem to have a good concept of programming structure (from both this post and some of your others). Have you ever considered taking up some form of an IT career? :P
Thanks for the compliment. :)

I have thought about learning to program on the PC (and Amiga) several times in the past, but I never got round to learning it. I started learning to program on the Sinclair ZX81 in 1984 with a magazine named 'Input', but due to my age and learning problems I had at that time, I found it too difficult to learn.

I'm pretty busy with my gaming and real life stuff at the moment, so I guess I'll have to put off learning programming once again. I will get round to it eventually though, and maybe one day I will write a music simulation game of my own. ;)
sjTaylor

peppy wrote:

Haven't seen this implemented so I thought I'd give an idea I had about how to go about "undoing" the score.

My idea is that you don't undo the score by backtracking (if that was the issue).
Instead the score at each point the score would be calculated/adjusted (including misses) is computed ahead of time so that "undoing" the score is really just searching through a look-up table and updating the displayed score. This should also let you know the score if you jump ahead.

You might also need a table of the times the score is calculated to go along with it since the time the score changes will vary in each replay.

Don't know if this approach would be practical with the engine you guys are using, but I hope it helps.
Ayesha Altugle
you deserve to have a cookie for bumping a 6 year old thread
Nathanael
/me gives a cookie.